• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Q6600 and BF3?

Run your GPU at stock, and overclock the CPU.

You should really get a more powerful PSU if you intend to overclock everything. I can see how 450W is not enough.
 
Thanks guys. Actually, weird thing. I've tried underclocking the gpu so it sucks less power but I still get a reboot while playing bf3 at 3.2 ghz. Not to mention this is a b3 stepping and I own the shittiest motherboard to overclock it with. I'm lucky I got the thing to a stable 3ghz. I think its reached its limit. Even with an Arctic freezer pro and as5 my CPU load temps reach into the 60s. I just don't understand how this bottleneck can be so huge. I mean 50% load in bf3. Is this gtx 460 that good of a card that my CPU can't power it well enough?
 
the 460 is a good card. the q6600 needs to be replaced for gaming. I was resisting till the last month, but gave up. Plus, prices now are reasonable. I spent $400 for my setup (Microcenter deal for CPU & Mobo, and RAM's on sale everywhere). Actually RAM is expected to jump up in price soon, so be quick and gram 16GB asap.
 
Yes. I was contemplating on doing this. I put together. A zozma 960t ( in hopes I can unlock those extra 2 cores) forgot what mobo I picked, and 8 gb of ram. Total is about 300$. Do you think this set up is enough to push my gpu usage to 99%? I'm also gonna be putting up my current CPU/mobo/ram for sale in the trade section so I can fund thisbupgrade. My setupruns every other game without a hitch and I'm really one of the lucky ones to volt mod this board for a 0.016 vcore droop and STILL clock this b3 q6600 to 3ghz almost at stock vcore. Most other people I've seen run 1.35-1.4v even on a g0 stepping.
 
My G0 runs 3.6Ghz at 1.41v. I've had it as high as 3.8 with 1.47v but temps were a tad high in the 80's at load.
 
My G0 runs 3.6Ghz at 1.41v. I've had it as high as 3.8 with 1.47v but temps were a tad high in the 80's at load.

Do you think my temps are ok? I'm running prime right now with a load temp of 61c and I file at 45c. Cpuid is reporting a vcore of 1.296-1.312. I would think with such a low vcore I'd have cooler temps. It is a b3 I guess :-\
 
The B3's always did run hot and weren't all that good overclockers. Your temps are fine. You could probably push it in to the upper 70's and be fine. I've seen plenty of OEM small form factor Q6600 systems running in the 80's.
 
The B3's always did run hot and weren't all that good overclockers. Your temps are fine. You could probably push it in to the upper 70's and be fine. I've seen plenty of OEM small form factor Q6600 systems running in the 80's.

Really? I thought getting into the 70s were dangerous. I wish I could overclock further but I think my psu tops out. Or something. I get reboots whole playing bf3 at anything higher than 3ghz.
 
I think if you kept temps under 70c you'd be ok. The rebooting could be any number of instability issues. When you increase FSB speed are you adjusting the memory multiplier? Might try bumping up FSB voltage as well. And don't hesitate giving the CPU a little more voltage. It can take up to 1.5v, though you shouldn't need to give it more than .05v to hit 3.2Ghz. You just need to play with it. Start with a small increase in FSB speed to give you 3.1Ghz. 345x9. You can leave your memory multiplier at 2 so your RAM will be taken out of the equation. Test, bump things if needed, test, bump, test...ect.
 
Memory multiplier.... I don't think I have that option in the BIOS lol right now I'm running 1333 for the Fab with the ram ratio set to 5:4. Gets me exactly 1066. All my voltages are set to auto except vcore. The thing is that this mobo is such a pain to oc. I have fsb holes everywhere. For example the board won't even boot at 3.2ghz with the vcore set to 1.4. It seems the closer I am to stock vcore the better my chances of actually booting, let alone posting, are. Its really unstable when trying to figure out what you wanna do. I've actually taken notes as to what vcore BIOS setting reports in windows. Its really fucking weird.
 
Question. Are you running DDR2-1066 or is it 800 that you're running at 1066?
 
My ocz platinum I run at 1066. Its native speeds. But this corsair valueram is rated at 800. So I'm setting the whole system to run at 800. I hate this board lol I'm having instability trying to run at 2.4ghz lol its been doing this for a week now. The board seems to be stuck at 3ghz. Can't even be stable with stock BIOS settings. This started about 2 weeks ago. I tried updating the BIOS to its latest but my system went bonkers. I flashed back to the famed 0608 BIOS for this board and since then I can't even run at srtock clocks. I have a Asus p5q that wont boot. God I wish that thing worked.
 
Back
Top