• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 36c idle?

Zake202

Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
559
Just got my new machine up and running.

Using a CM690.

Atm, I have 6 case fans. 2 exhaust ontop, 1 in back. 1 intake fan on the bottom and 1 intake on the front, and 1 in the side.

Also, a 80mm fan in the back to exhaust air from the mobo.

I installed a Xigmatek S1283 using Tuniq XT-2 paste.

Yes I applied it correctly and installed it correctly.

I have proper cooling but cannot figure out why temps are so high idle.
 
Aye I know but, I see people with the same setup running 25-30C idle.

Why is mine reporting so high?

Could it be my bios version?
 
Are you using speed fan to read those temps?

How hot is the room the PC is located in?
 
What's your room temp?

Edit: Question answered :p

I'd install windows and see what temps you get under load.
 
All and good but, now when I run my vista install, it works fine then just stops at some blue screen.

I have a cursor and can move it, but it's like the instillation stopped.

any clues?
 
NVM it just took 5 years to load -_-

INstalling asap.

So download speedfan? What exactly is it?
 
Ya I looked it up =)

IS that better to use over other programs?

Anyone know how high the rpms go on the xigmatek S1283 stock fan?

I know all my others run at 1200 with 44cfm
 
Speedfan is showing my CPU Temp at 34c, and the cores as follows, 28, 28, 25, 24.

IS that high for this setup?

Should I clean off the heatsink + cpu with Isopropyl Alcohol?
 
Assuming speedfan's temps are accurate :p, they're good temps.

Download Prime95, run a torture test using all 4 cores with Small FFT's, and see what temps your cores get too in Speedfan.
 
yea new build.

I can post specs if needed.

Thinking I might clean off the cpu and heatsink tomrw with the Isopropyl Alcohol, and reapply the paste. Just to be safe. I used a lot of paper towels today without anything to actually clean the paste off. (i applied it once to test if it would cover the whole cpu, then cleaned it off)

Downloading and running the prime95 test.
 
Not sure how long to run the torture.

I ran it for 1min cuz im going to bed soon.

From what I saw, CPU got up to 40c, cores were as follows, 36,34,32,32. At max.
 
I think speedfan isn't reading your temps correctly. Run the torture test for 10 minutes and check the temps. In theory the CPU temp shouldn't be hotter than your core temps under load. Another program to check out is CoreTemp, it's a very small program and it's given accurate temps for me.
 
I just ran CPU Z and its showing my core speed at 1600, and multiplier at 6...its jumping from 6 to 9... any other program I can use to test?

How would I check? also showing my FSB to Memory ration is 3:2 and not 1:1.

Should I change these things?
 
The 6 to 9 multiplier jump is caused most likely by either C1E or EIST, both can be disabled in the bios if you're not too interested in the power saving. As for memory ratio, your BIOS probably has it set on default, or auto, and you can change this to 1:1 if you want, but shouldn't be a problem if you're not over clocking your memory.

There's a lot of information out there about how to get accurate temperature reading from temp reading programs such as Speedfan and CoreTemp if you're keen on doing some R&D. These programs can sometimes be off by 15 degrees, but it's hard to know just how much they are off by.

If you have CPU TM Function enabled in your bios and C1E and EIST disabled, and as long as you keep CPU-Z open while doing Prime95 torture tests and the CPU speed never drops significantly, then you're technically still at a safe temperature. It's crude, but at least you know you aren't getting dangerously hot :p
 
Makes me wonder, because bios says same thing.

Like I said though, going to redo my heatsink and cpu just to be safe.

Also, any clue where in the P5Q bios I can set my ratio to 1:1? I thought that's what I wanted it for OCing.

Also, is C1E worth disabling? I disabled it and still saw a jump from 6-9.
 
Is EIST (Intel SpeedStep Tech) disabled as well? If so, are you running Vista? I think Vista has an option under it's Power Management to throttle CPU speed :(

I have a P5QL-E, and it's located under AI Tweaker menu, DRAM Frequency, then just change that value to be twice your FSB.
 
Im not sure if CPU TM is enabled in my bios. Where is it?

And I only saw C1E in my bios.

So if my memory is DDR2 6400, 800mhz, I'd change DRAM Frequency to 1600...? im confused

Also, which way should the fan on my Xig be facing? I have the logo facing out.
 
Depends what your FSB is set too :p The fastest your memory can be set too w/o overclocking it is 800, which would imply you are running your FSB at 400.
So it's basically set to double what your FSB is set too. The Q6600 has a default FSB speed of 266 which means a memory speed of 533.

For me it's located under Advanced, CPU Configuration.

On fans, there's two sides. One with 4 bars to hold the central part of the fan onto the frame, and one side without anything on it. The air will be blowing towards the side with the 4 bars. So make sure that the fan is blowing towards your exhaust.
 
So to get 1:1 ration i need to run my memory DRAM frequency at 400mhz?

Also, do I want to disable that CPU stuff in my bios? Will I need to when i OC?
 
If you haven't overclocked yet, the memory speed should most likely be set to 533, assuming a default FSB speed of 266.

I'd just keep it at 800 :)
 
I'll have to try some of this tommorrow.

I disabled C1E and SpeedStep and it's at 9x now.

Would I need to keep them disabled when OCing?

And to confirm, I set my memory speed to 800 to go 1:1 ratio correct?
But only if I want to run my FSB at 1600 and CPU at 3.6?

Temps went up with speedstep and C1E off.
 
I keep them disabled, I'm not too overly conscious about the environment for a few reasons :p, as for the memory speed, it's not too critical to keep a 1:1 ratio so keeping it at 800 won't be any problems.

"Temps went up with speedstep and C1E off." You're CPU is now idling at a slightly higher temperature, so at idle and at the start of torture tests it will be slightly hotter. It won't be any hotter after a minute or so under load though.

If you're really keen on getting a 1:1 ratio, here's a quick little tutorial :p
A 1:1 ratio for DDR or DDR2 memory implies that you have set your DRAM frequency to be double your FSB frequency. The Q6600 runs at a speed of 266x9. This is a 266 FSB frequency multiplied by a 9 multiplier. So at default settings of 266x9, for a 1:1 memory ratio you'd want your DRAM frequency set to 533 (266x2). As you overclock your CPU, and begin raising the FSB (and maybe lowering the CPU multiplier), you'd want to keep the DRAM frequency set at twice the speed you set your FSB too.
 
so if I leave as is, set the memory speed to 533. and if I oc, raise it to where it matches the new fsb?
 
It would be more than helpful if you would tell us your brand and model of motherboard and exactly what memory you have.
 
I have an Asus P5Q Pro, and 4 gigs of G.Skill 8000 Memory. (runs default at 800mhz instead of 1000)

ALSO! I updated my bios to the latest version and my CPU temps are reading 23c, and Motherboard temps of 32c. Is this good?

Core temps are reading similar as before, 30, 30, 28, 27.

Is this how it should be?

Running Torture test while watching CoreTemp and SpeedFan, core temps highest have been 37,37,34,34.

Is that high temps under torture test?

CPU highest says 26c
 
Ignore the bios cpu temp, its worthless. Go with coretemp only. Motherboard temp is of interest and is very good at 32C but you have to know where that sensor is and what, if anything other than a general temp, it is reading. A check of your manual or a query to Asus tech support as to the exact location of the motherboard temp sensor would be of interest as you then could decide how important it is. For example if the motherboard temp is from a sensor just stuck some where on the board, it would be of limited use as a general indicator of case temps and if watched over time would alert you to fan fail or dust buildup problems but not useful for much else. However if it was near the power mosfets supplying voltage and current to the cpu it could be an invaluable indicator of thermal stress of the mosfets as you OC. Its actual temp should still be taken with a big grain of salt but as a indicator of trends is could be very valuable, just depends on where it is on the board and I do not know off hand. 32C is very good for a machine that has been on for an hour or two so that the case etc all come up to operating temp.

Core temps are reading similar as before, 30, 30, 28, 27.

Is this how it should be?

Running Torture test while watching CoreTemp and SpeedFan, core temps highest have been 37,37,34,34.

oops sorry, missed the earlier coretemp post.

Those are extra special good temps. Better than mine and I watercool. There is nothing wrong with your heatsink setup. Excellent job.
 
Yea just cleaned HS + CPU off and redid the thermal grease, no difference in temp so I must have done it right the first time.

I'm hoping to OC it to 3.0Ghz, any tips? It seems fairly easy with the bios.

SpeedFan says my Vcore is at 1.21v, that is probably average?
 
Not sure how long to run the torture.

I ran it for 1min cuz im going to bed soon.

From what I saw, CPU got up to 40c, cores were as follows, 36,34,32,32. At max.


i dont think those are right temps. i dont see how the core could be cooler than the cpu. id add 15c to those temps.
 
Back
Top