q6600 + 1.4 or 1.45 volt = 85c+??? Huh?

Camaroz06

Gawd
Hello all,
Still trying to overclock my q6600 to at least 3.4ghz. Anyways I just pencil moded my 750i FTW and got my v droop under control. I started to run prime at priority 9 and it brings my q6600 to 85c+, is this normal? I cannot get under 80c even with around 1.4v. This seems very wrong to me. I thought I was running under 72c even with 1.5 set in bios before I did the pencil mod. Whats up with this chip? I currently have it under a Zalmen 9700 and I reset it three times. After each time I still get 85c+ with 1.4v.

Need a bit of help here.

Thanks,
Eddie

Well, I am certainly not an expert, but if the pencil mod does indeed reduce or eliminate vdroop, your effective vcore should be higher when running the cpu at full load. This means more heat.

As voltage goes up, heat goes WAY up. It might not take much to tip the scales, and your CPU cooler might just be overwhelmed. Have you considered lapping your CPU?

What is weird to me s the following:

I had my pre pencil modded vcore at 1.5 which drooped to 1.48ish andit seemed to be under 70c. Then when I did the pencil modI lowered vcore to 1.45 and it was hotter the 1.5 (1.48ish under vdroop). It desnt make sense?

You probably need better cooling. Zalman are good quiet coolers but not great overclockers. Plus most recent Q6600s are furnaces. I have a Q6600 G0 and Zalman CNPS7000B. Running at 1.34v to hit 3.2Ghz I can hit 80c running Prime95 after an hour. OCCT 3.0 hits 70c. Working on replacing the cooler as I don't want to go over 65c in Prime95.

I don't think 1.5 drooped only 0.02v before. You were probably drooping into 1.3v range. Before my pencil mod 1.4v would put me down to 1.28v. Using CPU-Z?

Post some screenshots of CPUz at idle and load and let us take a look.

also, get a new cooler. Those Zalman's are not the best for OC'ing quads.

Camaroz06 said:
What is weird to me s the following:

I had my pre pencil modded vcore at 1.5 which drooped to 1.48ish andit seemed to be under 70c. Then when I did the pencil modI lowered vcore to 1.45 and it was hotter the 1.5 (1.48ish under vdroop). It desnt make sense?

Are you sure you measured both under the same load? In terms of temps though I'd say 80c is about right for 1.4v with an average aircooling setup, what intake/exhaust fans do you have running? I agree with dwell that your pre-pencil modded board probably drooped alot more than 0.02v, thats actually the kind of droop I see at idle on my P965 after pencil modding.

Plus most recent Q6600s are furnaces. I have a Q6600 G0 and Zalman CNPS7000B. Running at 1.34v to hit 3.2Ghz I can hit 80c running Prime95 after an hour.

Boy, this is the truth. I picked up a Q6600 the second week of January and I still can't get 3.6 (9 x 400) stable, even with voltage set at 1.45. 3.2Ghz @ 1.29v is just fine, but 3.6 seems to be an insurmountable barrier, at least without cranking temps up to 70c and beyond.

Here is a bit more info:

What is your ambient room temp:

average higher 60's((F)BTW I cannot control the heat due being in an apartment)), but when I was doing the majority of testing last night I opened the windows and got it down to the low 40s, my toes got really really cold

What is your VID on the Q6600: 1.2500

What Stepping do you have: G0

What is your Vcore in BIOS: 1.42 - 1.45 (cannot remember off the bat)

What is your Vcore during load: after pencil mod voltage actually went up .02-.05 during load on Prime95 on each core

What is your Vdroop like: after pencil mod no droop, but an increase

Thanks all for the help so far.

make sure your heatsink is correctly mounted?

<- definately check this. (eh just saw you already reseated a few times)

While 85 won't instantly pop your chip or anything you definately don't want to actually run it that high all the time. Especially at the higher voltages, if your load temps are able to ping 70c then back it off or fix/add cooling. You really don't want it hanging around temps higher than mid 60's for too long.

I got my 6600 prob. only a few months before yours and my vid's 1.325, which sucks. I could get 3.42 at about 1.46ish volts, but the temps would eventually ping 70 on full load. but i could run 3375 at far less voltage w/ much better temps (<-edit: that's lapped btw). After going under water it can do the 3.42 w/ 55ish loads and 3.55 w/ low/mid 60 loads.

Anyway, just saying it seems there's seriously something wrong w/ your cooling or you're just oc'ing way past what your current cooler can handle, 1 of the 2.

I'd still like to see screenshots of CPUz at idle and load. PIcs or shenz.

And I'd still venture to say that 9700 is not cutting it. Or you don't have it mounted securely enough. If you are relying on the push-pins, be forewarned that once you insert and remove them a couple times they start to lose tension.

Camaroz06 said:
What is your Vcore in BIOS: 1.42 - 1.45 (cannot remember off the bat)

What is your Vcore during load: after pencil mod voltage actually went up .02-.05 during load on Prime95 on each core

So you're saying during P95 your voltage actually rises to 1.44-1.47/1.47-1.5? That explains why your temps are so high. Probably best to remove and reapply the pencil mod.

So you're saying during P95 your voltage actually rises to 1.44-1.47/1.47-1.5? That explains why your temps are so high. Probably best to remove and reapply the pencil mod.

Another +1 for reapplying your pencil mod. All you need is a fine line of 1-2 passes with the pencil. I've made the mistake of drawing too many lines when performing pencil mods in the past, which skyrocketed the voltage and temps. If done correctly, you should be able to get idle voltage that reads on CPU-Z bit lower than what you set in BIOS. During load, it should not fluctuate by more than .01 and it should not go over what you set in BIOS. If it does, you should try again.

I have a TRUE black edition on my q6600 in a quality thermaltake case and I still hit 67-70C on full load at 1.4v 3.4ghz....

and the zalman's are pretty terrible for higher heat processors (namely the quads and i7's)

My friends Q6600 3.6GHz 1.45v real is ~70C with Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer max speed on UD3R

70-75c is totally fine for a Q6600 at 3.6

I've been running mine like that at 1.42v load for like a year now.

This.

Sometmes, not all the time, but sometimes temps into the upper 70's and above can cause issues with becoming stable at higher clocks. But running that chip even into the 90's will not hurt it one bit.

I see some SFF HP Q6600 systems running in the 80's at stock speeds with no problems. Takes more than heat to kill a Q6600.

Outside of DC, I can't think of any applications that would tax all four cores for hours on end. So if you're hitting 70c and above in Prime95 you have to consider what your real-world performance is. Even after marathon gaming sessions I rarely break 60c on my hottest core where Prime and IBT will hit 80c eventually.

Still, I don't like going above 70c and reserve p95 etc for stability runs.

For quad overclocking you almost need water to hit 3.6 reliably.

I have a 3.6Ghz 1.34v chip in my other PC with a Thermal Take V1. It did 3.6Ghz without a problem on my water cooling in my sig, load temps in the 50s. In my other machine now on air, 3.2Ghz is about the highest I can go with the exact same chip. Over 3.2 the temps just get outta control.

So for anything 3.5+ on a quad you really need watercooling to maintain good temps and stability.

To the OP you temps are probably alot higher because before with vdroop your voltage would be alot lower. Once you do the vdroop pencil mod your temps will be solid with the voltage selected in the bios. I do the same with all my boards and the temps are higher, however I now have voltage stability during load and true CPU stability overclocked.

so running mine @ 3.5 with a v-core under load of 1.38, temp of around 50C,running 24/7 F@H is okay, or should i push it more ?

For quad overclocking you almost need water to hit 3.6 reliably.

I have a 3.6Ghz 1.34v chip in my other PC with a Thermal Take V1. It did 3.6Ghz without a problem on my water cooling in my sig, load temps in the 50s. In my other machine now on air, 3.2Ghz is about the highest I can go with the exact same chip. Over 3.2 the temps just get outta control.

So for anything 3.5+ on a quad you really need watercooling to maintain good temps and stability.

To the OP you temps are probably alot higher because before with vdroop your voltage would be alot lower. Once you do the vdroop pencil mod your temps will be solid with the voltage selected in the bios. I do the same with all my boards and the temps are higher, however I now have voltage stability during load and true CPU stability overclocked.

I don't agree. I'm running my Q6600 at 3.6 with loads in the mid 50's on air. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 w/ a Yate Loon high speed fan to be exact. If I had water and a better motherboard with less vdroop I'm sure I could push this chip to 4Ghz.

Mostly it's the chip, not your cooling solution that holds you back.

I don't agree. I'm running my Q6600 at 3.6 with loads in the mid 50's on air. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 w/ a Yate Loon high speed fan to be exact. If I had water and a better motherboard with less vdroop I'm sure I could push this chip to 4Ghz.

Mostly it's the chip, not your cooling solution that holds you back.

Did you even read what I wrote?????

I have a chip that was in my water cooled machine @ 3.6Ghz on water and on air can't get prime95 stability above 3.2Ghz with Thermaltake V1 cooler. Part of it is the chip, the rest is the cooling. Its not just the chip. trust me I've owned 9 Q6600s and made it on the H database plenty of times with different CPUs. Its about 20% chip and 80% how it's cooled.

I still don't agree. I don't consider a Thermaltake V1 high end air cooling either, but that's my opinion and reviews here and elsewhere tend to agree. There are tons of people on [H] running their Q6600 at 3.6 with a TRU120 or S1283, myself included, that have very acceptable temps in the 50's. Where you said you really need watercooling for anything 3.5+ on a quad is just rediculous.

We can agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

so running mine @ 3.5 with a v-core under load of 1.38, temp of around 50C,running 24/7 F@H is okay, or should i push it more ?

If you could hit 3.6 with 1.4v, why not? Try it. 50c is low for a quad under load.

I still don't agree. I don't consider a Thermaltake V1 high end air cooling either, but that's my opinion and reviews here and elsewhere tend to agree. There are tons of people on [H] running their Q6600 at 3.6 with a TRU120 or S1283, myself included, that have very acceptable temps in the 50's. Where you said you really need watercooling for anything 3.5+ on a quad is just rediculous.

We can agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

We'll agree to disagree then.

I'd love to see these 3.6Ghz quads on air pull 24 hour small FFT prime.

Heres mine @3.8ghz on air, TRUE black and 2x2000 rpm fans.

untitled-2.jpg

I usually run it on a day to day basis @3.6ghz, 1.4vcore and the temps are in the mid 50's

untitled-1.jpg

My Q6600 3.5GHz On air 24/7 With ASUS Silent Knight AL CPU Cooler maintaining 15-20c

lynnspec-1.jpg

Back