Q4 out early for aussie's

Lsv

Limp Gawd
quake4.jpg

ez

p.s. unfortunately it's not my copy but the aussie's got it early... damn australians i'll get them!!!1 *shakes fist*

damn that was fast, nah it's not mine, but it's got the edge! i'm so buying this tommorow

Reeeeeeeally????????

Any Rail Arena maps? Now there is a map where aimbot is a pointless issue.

sry just couldnt resist...reminded me of that old "is your refridgerator running?" joke... :D

I saw 4 pc's setup playing this at Digital Life. Looked pretty good. I will probably pick it up. Need some new nail gun madness.

I think it's pretty unfair that so many startups can attempt to make original games and fail, whereas iD just makes the same game over and over and gets hundreds of millions for it.

Beh.

omg I cant wait until tommorow.... whats your specs lsv and what quality you playing q4 in? Is there a optimize button for settings?

Agreed. Quake3 looked better than the Screenies i saw above. As a matter of fact, those screenies look like they come from Quake3. Too bad. This ain't it.

Does it have CTF??? Do they have the GRAPPLE!?!?!?!?!??!?!??! How about runes?

Doom 3 looked better because it was dark and atmospheric, but from a gameplay standpoint (and a realistic one) it was the worst game ever, practically. Think about it, you make an AMAZING game engine that has some of the best lighting in FPS history, and what do you do? TURN ALL THE LIGHTS OFF. Brilliant. You can't quite play Q3A style dm in a pitch black setting. Sounds fun but it's not the same thing (which is what they went for).

actually q4 is not as dark as those screenshots show.It looks the same in terms of brightness in q3a and far apart from doom 3's shitty multiplayer.

pr0pensity said:
It doesn't look that great.

it's funny how people bitch about how games don't look good enough, yet you are the same people who say looks don't matter it's the gameplay that counts.. i could give a crap if it had sparkly shaders and particles all over, a few fx is nice but I'd rather have a smoother mp game than a prettier yet laggy mp game.. they did us a favor by not having 6 layer shaders on every wall ;)

TechX, while i totally agree you gotta keep something in mind. We're talking quake4 here and not some revolutionary new gaming idea. The only thing that Quake4 sets apart from Q2 or Q3 is the graphics. It's almost like UT2003 and UT2004 and now UT2007. It's a shooter. No thrills no frills shooter. What sets it apart from their older titles? Mostly updated graphics.

If this would have been some great new title with revolutionary fresh gameplay ideas, I'd say EFF the gfx, but it's......Quake4.

ScYcS said:
TechX, while i totally agree you gotta keep something in mind. We're talking quake4 here and not some revolutionary new gaming idea. The only thing that Quake4 sets apart from Q2 or Q3 is the graphics. It's almost like UT2003 and UT2004 and now UT2007. It's a shooter. No thrills no frills shooter. What sets it apart from their older titles? Mostly updated graphics.

If this would have been some great new title with revolutionary fresh gameplay ideas, I'd say EFF the gfx, but it's......Quake4.
this is one set of screen shots from someone who hasn't even posted his sys specs. judging from the screens though not only does he have AA off but it looks like the settings might be turned down to nil. just something to keep in mind. ;)

He most likely had no anisotrophic and no antialiasing on and had it on medium or low. I need to see real screenies from a monster rig. :)

Those MP maps bring back some fond, bloodshot, 3am, memories. Ah, 1998 was a good year.
I ran a pentium 2 233 and a 4meg Riva 128 in those days. :tear:

Ruiner said:
Those MP maps bring back some fond, bloodshot, 3am, memories. Ah, 1998 was a good year.
I ran a pentium 2 233 and a 4meg Riva 128 in those days. :tear:

I was happy to play Q2 CTF on my Voodoo2 card, was able to run the game at an amazing 640res, with full detail :)

Quake2 CTF was some of my all time best memories in gaming, I mean looking back at my 15yrs of gaming the Quake2 and even Q3 TeamArena were some of the best times I had, and even today games do not give me the same fun factor as those did

Fuck, is that Q2DM1 'The Edge' I see? *drools*

Q2 is the game that got me into gaming...many nights of my highschool years were spent in Q2 DM and Rocket Arena clan matches....ah the memories

finalgt said:
I think it's pretty unfair that so many startups can attempt to make original games and fail, whereas iD just makes the same game over and over and gets hundreds of millions for it.

Beh.

This isnt the movie business, if your games any good people will hear about it and play it. Farcry ring a bell? btw raven made the game not id software and believe it or not carmack didnt make the monster closets or most of the game code for doom3.

(Never though I would see the day some one complained about the next quake series being released, but then again were in the time where all games suck no matter how good they are.)

Triple B said:
Doom 3 looked better because it was dark and atmospheric, but from a gameplay standpoint (and a realistic one) it was the worst game ever, practically. Think about it, you make an AMAZING game engine that has some of the best lighting in FPS history, and what do you do? TURN ALL THE LIGHTS OFF. Brilliant. You can't quite play Q3A style dm in a pitch black setting. Sounds fun but it's not the same thing (which is what they went for).

Or could it be that lights drastically affect performance and they wanted it to be "dark"

the game looks like A$$, looks like the same crap from crappy q3a. nothing looks changed except the characters. good luck enjoying this remake haha. what a waste of money.

That remake of Edge just sold me on the MP. Doom 3's sad attempt at recreating Edge made me want to cry.

And freaking A people, if the gameplay is awesome and the graphics arent horrible, then it doesnt mean it's not worth playing. Quit worrying about the lower priority piece of development. Gameplay should always be the TOP priority in a game.

Its good to see an old friend (Q2DM1), good old days of lithium, time to build a system capable of running it now. :)

As for the questions of CTF and the Grapple, CTF is in, the grapple is not (at least it wasn't there for Quakecon), but Im sure thats a short mod away :D
Maybe its about time I got into the modding scene.

Triple B said:

You criticize the engine and you're running hardware that's...well....I'll just bite my tongue.

Needless to say, with some up to date hardware, D3 has some absolutely amazing lighting effects.

How is this game amazing, again? Same kinds of guns, same kinds of levels, same kind of story, same kinds of characters, same kind of gameplay. Again. And it doesn't even look good, which is the one thing most iD fanatics usually fall back on. Okay, they made the first FPS game, that's awesome. Wonderful. Really. But then they made it again. And then they made it again, with a different twist on the story and graphics. Then they made that version again. Then they made the first version again. Then they made the second version again. Now they're making the second version a third time, with the same graphics approach as they took on the second remake of the first version.

Do you see a trend here?

finalgt said:
How is this game amazing, again? Same kinds of guns, same kinds of levels, same kind of story, same kinds of characters, same kind of gameplay. Again. And it doesn't even look good, which is the one thing most iD fanatics usually fall back on. Okay, they made the first FPS game, that's awesome. Wonderful. Really. But then they made it again. And then they made it again, with a different twist on the story and graphics. Then they made that version again. Then they made the first version again. Then they made the second version again. Now they're making the second version a third time, with the same graphics approach as they took on the second remake of the first version.

Do you see a trend here?

Think of it like a book. I'm severly interested in finding out what's next in the chapter of Quake. Quake 2's story, while minimal, captured my attention and I'm anticipating getting to know the next happening in the series. The fact that the story experience is interactive is, well, a plus IMO.

Most games are really just interactive stories, when you think about it (sports and a couple other types of games being the exception).

The only thing that bums me at looking at the remake of The Edge is the scale is so much smaller than it was in Q2. There's a lot more room in the Q2 level. A lot more. The price we pay for progress I guess.

Xipher said:
As for the questions of CTF and the Grapple, CTF is in, the grapple is not (at least it wasn't there for Quakecon), but Im sure thats a short mod away :D
Maybe its about time I got into the modding scene.

damn that sucks, what about runes?

Hopefully threewave will do it right

v6maro said:
damn that sucks, what about runes?

Hopefully threewave will do it right

Team Blur, the guys behind the Quake 2 Evolved engine, are planning to make a CTF mod like the old rune-style CTF.

Back