Q3 2022 Discrete GPU market share. AMD losing market share in Q3 2022

pututu

[H]ard DC'er of the Year 2021
From the link here.

If the stats from JPR is accurate, it means that AMD share of the discrete gpus market has been shrinking since Q2 2022 as Intel Arc started to eat into AMD share (beside Nvidia).

Nvidia is still very dominant (88% in Q3 2022) and I hope this will change in Q1 2023 when RDNA3 is available for the full quarter report.

1669489848678.png

Well... I'm no expert, but Nvidia has launched a card recently and AMD hasn't, so there isn't anything new of AMD to buy. I would expect this to affect the numbers.

The JPR report talks about shipment (probably from AIB to retailers and AIB to OEM PC builders). If you are referring to the 4000 series card, thus far it represents about 160,000 units at most (conservatively) and is a small pie of the ~14M (~1%) discrete gpu shipments made in Q3.

I'm speculating that it could partially be due to the fact that Nvidia and AIB have so much inventory to ship to retailers and PC builders. How much is been sold to end consumer in Q3, I don't really know.

Last edited:
They have a big "bad drivers" reputation issue right now. Whether that reputation is deserved or not is of course a matter of debate, but all that really matters is that the bad reputation exists. There have been plenty of great products over the years that didn't sell well because they had a bad reputation for whatever reason. Maybe it's time for a product re-branding? They've been using the "Radeon" branding for over 22 years now, since the ATI days. During that same time AMD went through multiple brands on the CPU side (K6, Athlon, Phenom, Ryzen, etc). Ryzen probably would have been a tougher sell if it had been branded "Phenom III" or whatever.

I also think that there is a big opportunity here for them to re-invent multi-GPU. DX12 mGPU (aka passing the buck to the game developers) has been a massive failure. If they could go back to having multi-GPU be transparent to the game (or at least not fully dependent on the game developers cooperating) then that would open up a lot of new possibilities and increase demand. Nvidia could do the same thing; if they really wanted to sell 3000 series GPUs, just come up with a way for people to pair a couple 3000-series cards to get 4000-series performance, allowing them to sell multiple older and/or mid-range cards to high-end customers. For AMD, a 7900XTX might not be as fast as a 4090, but what if you could run two of them together? Who would hold the performance crown at that point?

Could be disconnected but it seem to be possible for the first time to easily buy PS5 online, AMD launched a new CPU and motherboard during that time frame has well and maybe started to rack RDNA 3, they could have leaved the field of OEM builder a bit during that quarter because that a giant drop, lost more than half their market since last year.
Well... I'm no expert, but Nvidia has launched a card recently and AMD hasn't, so there isn't anything new of AMD to buy. I would expect this to affect the numbers.
Depending on when they cut their quarter, the 4090 was launched Q4 (october to december inclusively). And if those shipment happened and counted in septermber even if, 100k units is a lot for a $1600 halo product that would not move the needle much when talking about the 7 millions dgpu solds and they do not compete directly with AMD big sellers, more with the very niche 6950xt

AMD has not given anyone really a solid reason short of maybe saving $50 for a similar performing card, to buy one of their cards for the last ten years. AMD has 1/3 the market share they used to have after the run of successful HD4000 and HD5000 series cards and have been losing ground ever since.

Besides the RX 580** sorry sorry

Last edited:
As a person who went AMD this round: I think AMD cannot rely on the "I'm running away from nVidia" buyers. That seems to be a large portion of their business.

With market realities as they are, and the fickle nature of the technology market, AMD finds itself in a situation where they may not appear very compelling.

That being said: I'm happy with my purchase. In my case I play a lot of older/remastered titles at 1080P- so a 6600 is a great card for me. But I'm an informed and technically astute buyer.

However, the whole of the market is not representative of me. I'm not AMD's desired customer. They seem to communicate badly with their intended customer in the GPU market or they might do better.

I think AMD cannot rely on the "I'm running away from nVidia" buyers. That seems to be a large portion of their business.
To an extent this may be a myth anyway, because for a percentage of people that are very vocal online about how they "hate brand X and will ONLY support brand Y because they're the good guys and X is bad", they're not necessarily practicing what they preach offline, and often either own or are trying to FOMO into brand X anyway.

Last edited:
Eh, no shocker here. Consumers do a great job of clamoring for competition and whatnot, but it seems to be mostly to reduce the prices of the brand they were going to buy anyways. When people say "brand X needs to do this to get my support", what they really mean is "brand X needs to do everything brand Y does, but for cheaper so that I can get brand Y for even cheaper".

I mean look at the number 1 reason why people want Intel to succeed. It wasn't because they want another option, it was because the prices of the preferred brand got too high lol.

It took Ryzen how many generations and how many blunders from Intel to even begin to get people to begrudgingly consider an AMD cpu? Even then, you still have people that will only swear by Intel.

Eh, no shocker here. Consumers do a great job of clamoring for competition and whatnot, but it seems to be mostly to reduce the prices of the brand they were going to buy anyways. When people say "brand X needs to do this to get my support", what they really mean is "brand X needs to do everything brand Y does, but for cheaper so that I can get brand Y for even cheaper".

I mean look at the number 1 reason why people want Intel to succeed. It wasn't because they want another option, it was because the prices of the preferred brand got too high lol.

It took Ryzen how many generations and how many blunders from Intel to even begin to get people to begrudgingly consider an AMD cpu? Even then, you still have people that will only swear by Intel.
You're note entirely incorrect, but I would say that there were released by AMD that trumped Nvidia and people eagerly bought them. Two fairly recent mentions are the rx580's and the 290Xs. I found they both were very popular.

Nvidia just always beats AMD to the punch. They usually release before AMD and have a solid footing that AMD has to catch up to.

Two fairly recent mentions are the rx580's and the 290Xs
Idk if I'd call the 290x fairly recent and I think the rx580 was only because it was great at 1080p...and of course mining. Come to think of it the 290x was also used a lot for mining.

Regardless, some of it is going to come down to supply as well. AMD just doesn't make as many gpus for various reasons.

Idk if I'd call the 290x fairly recent and I think the rx580 was only because it was great at 1080p...and of course mining. Come to think of it the 290x was also used a lot for mining.

Regardless, some of it is going to come down to supply as well. AMD just doesn't make as many gpus for various reasons.
So the 580 was better than Nvidia at certain tasks and sold well for those tasks. Kinda defeats the "people will buy their company no matter what" argument. They provided better quality for tasks and people bought them because of it.

So the 580 was better than Nvidia at certain tasks and sold well for those tasks. Kinda defeats the "people will buy their company no matter what" argument. They provided better quality for tasks and people bought them because of it.
A couple of exceptions to the rule. Also didn't say "no matter what", but there is a level of entrenchment that has to be overcome. But now that I think of it, I'd say this is irrelevant to recent market share because AMD is having no trouble selling every card it makes. So really comes down to production.

I own a 6700XT from last gen and it's plugged into my HTPC. The driver issue is real. When nvidia does a driver update via windows, my only clue is when I encounter maybe a one off bug in a particular game. I let my htpc do auto updates as it's not my main rig. When AMD does a driver update, I find my fan profiles go to shit, games sometimes say drivers NOT installed and I end up having to manually reinstall them.

I own a 6700XT from last gen and it's plugged into my HTPC. The driver issue is real. When nvidia does a driver update via windows, my only clue is when I encounter maybe a one off bug in a particular game. I let my htpc do auto updates as it's not my main rig. When AMD does a driver update, I find my fan profiles go to shit, games sometimes say drivers NOT installed and I end up having to manually reinstall them.
I used to run a rack with a bunch of AMD cards for doing distributed computing. Always issues. All cards were the same model, still issues.

When they became old, I replaced them with random Nvidia cards from 10 and 20 series. Never an issue. They were different memory configurations, AIB models, some high end, some low. No issues.

Back