Put My 1st Game Up on Google Play

a36steel

Limp Gawd
Chili's Adventure

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sYS5hbmRyb2lkZ2FtZXMuY2hpbGlhZHZlbnR1cmUiXQ..

If you get a chance please go and check it out and let me know what you think. I didn't have the chance to test it on a lot of different platforms so let me know if you find any bugs.

The idea for the game came from my daughter so it's more of a younger kids game.

p.s.
It's my first attempt at making a game for the android (or anything else :)) so please be kind with your comments.

p.p.s
Yes it is free and it does not having annoying ads in it...

Last edited:
If theres no ads youre ok to link. I think it'll be fine. I couldn't find it on google play.

Definitely not up in Play store yet. Can't find anything by that name.

It Chili's Adventure....
Try it again I had the wrong title up... (Chili's Revenge is the sequel I am working on now) brain farted.

Just gave it a quick shot... here's my suggestions. For one, work on your visuals. When it comes to 2D cartoon style graphics, less is more. Look at the sort of games that excel here... angry birds, abduction, cut the rope, etc. They make use of simple textures and bright colors, and avoiding things like sharp corners. Everything sort of has a bubbly feel to it. For whatever reason, it's just more appealing. I know this isn't really something you can just "fix", but it will probably be your biggest hindrance in reaching a huge audience (assuming your ultimate goal is to gain a following and monetize).

Another thing that you may want to consider is giving directions prior to a levels start. I'm not sure what I was supposed to do in the first bit with the cannon or whatever, and I failed very quickly. Avoid the bombs was easy enough to figure out, but I didn't know I needed to avoid the other shit as well, or what I was supposed to be trying to catch. Not getting a second shot at it didn't help.

As for the following level, it felt like it was perhaps to long. The whole abduction/doodle jump thing is fun, but it's better in short doses. After a while it's more like "holy crap, where's the top of this thing"... even if its just the same thing split up into multiple levels. At least it gives the player more stopping points, which is particularly important in casual mobile games that are often played in little 5 minute stints or something to kill time while waiting for a phone call or some other crap.

I don't mean to sound harsh, and by all means, what you've accomplished here is a hell of a lot more than anything I'm capable of doing. Just trying to give some pointers as to what makes this a bit less approachable than other games of this style. With a bit of improvement you could have something pretty enjoyable for killing time.

I like the retro sounds, although I don't know if kids will feel the nostalgia I do. Chili's treats are in another castle - nice touch. The controls are great, very responsive, even if it takes a round of dying to figure it out first. The jumping levels - way too long, and some times it's literally impossible to avoid an object when jumping. Maybe add a limited use special button to add an extra jump if you are in a tight spot. My 4 year old loved watching it, but definitely above her skill level still. Cool game, has potential if you market it as a retro game. For some reason It reminded me of Commander Keen.

It's interesting, I can't figure out how to move Chili though, he doesn't respond to screen inputs. Try draging him, just touching each side of the screen, doesn't respond. I have Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.1 if that matters.

Also, make it so you can skip the troll eating the treats at the beginning each time.

It's interesting, I can't figure out how to move Chili though, he doesn't respond to screen inputs. Try draging him, just touching each side of the screen, doesn't respond. I have Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.1 if that matters.

Also, make it so you can skip the troll eating the treats at the beginning each time.

It uses the gyrometer thing. Try tilting the screen

Thought of it - the accelerometer.

No problem, thanks for the input. I was thinking the jumping levels were a bit too long (on the next update I will make the jumping levels shorter).

One thing to notice is that the stars make you invulnerable for few seconds.

I had no idea the stars make you invincible, you should make him flash or something.

Also, could you make so that it can be moved to the memory card?

He does flash...you just can't tell.

Meh...played for a couple minutes then the jumping shit got to me. Always room for improvement!

Yeah I hoping to bump it up a few notches on the next one. Better graphics more variations in game play.

Part of the problem was limiting the resolution to 320x480 (for most phones) which kinda looks meh on something like a nexus 7.

Yeah I hoping to bump it up a few notches on the next one. Better graphics more variations in game play.

Part of the problem was limiting the resolution to 320x480 (for most phones) which kinda looks meh on something like a nexus 7.

thats why you aim at good res and go downwards.

I didn't see any visual clue as to if a cloud you hit was going to disappear or not which was frustrating. Also some sort of audible sound that lasts for the duration of star invincibility would be nice. Congrats though, it's cool to be able to say you published something.

Didn't have a clue on the first thing about stopping trolls. But the jumping was .....a jumping game.

Nice for a first release though. If this was 40 ish years ago, it would be a marvel! =)

Its ..not bad. Good effort , certainly room for improvement but who am I to judge?

Keep it up though.

Its ..not bad. Good effort , certainly room for improvement but who am I to judge?

Keep it up though.

When fellow forum members or friends make games, we're never the ones to judge, are we haha, even if they're "godly at writing code" and whatnot. But when a company makes a small mistake, we go ape shit. ;)

I'll give it a DL and try it later this week.

Well, there is that budget difference... and not to mention when a company does things, they got ..... supposedly "experienced" people.

Oh, not to mention the cost is a huge factor.

Well, there is that budget difference... and not to mention when a company does things, they got ..... supposedly "experienced" people.

Oh, not to mention the cost is a huge factor.

Everyone makes mistakes. I don't think a game will ever have everything that's considered a generally necessary or even good idea by others. Even experts, aren't sometimes professional as they need to be. :eek:

Back