• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Push-pull TX3 or upgrade to 120mm?

Runt.

Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Messages
619
I have a Cooler Master TX3 HSF and recently my CPU temps have risen between low-mid 70s under gaming load (DOTA 2).

I am thinking if I were to add a second fan to it for a push-pull setup, which specific fans would be best to use. Would adding a second fan provide enough cooling to drop my CPU temps by ~5C?

It seems like the same fan that came with the TX3 is available for $11 on NE. If I spend a little more I can just get a 120mm HSF instead.

Thoughts?
 
2nd fan usually don't lower 5C. More like 2-3C. I hope that you can find a lower price tag for a second fan, because $11 is serious money for push-pull a $18 HSF.:mad:

What do you meant "recently"?
Temps were lower before?

You could always try to re-settle the HSF/ reapply thermal paste ( CM HSFs come with a syringe of half decent paste AFAIK) .

Depending on where you live you are better off investing in a better HSF than on a second fan.
Hyper N520 - same CM brand, 5 heatpipes, 2 fans, for $29, shipped.

if you have the space in your case, Hyper T4 and hyper 212 evo cost the same and are better/much better than the TX3.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
mid 70s is not much to worry about either ... I personally wouldnt waste the money, only worry when your up to the 90s in temps IMO ... this is coming from a F@H back ground, where you realize quickly 70s is nothing temp wise.
 
mid 70s is not much to worry about either ... I personally wouldnt waste the money, only worry when your up to the 90s in temps IMO ... this is coming from a F@H back ground, where you realize quickly 70s is nothing temp wise.

Indeed, 70 is nothing. So for temp reasons I would not bother, if it's noise then look for a good 120mm cooler, as you will drop temps far more than an extra fan and drop allot of noise at the same time.
 
A couple years ago I got the TX3 to try out overclocking for the first time since it was only $15 and I was too cheap to get the Hyper 212 for $25 or $30. Also I wasn't sure how beneficial an OC'd CPU would be with respect to gaming.

Yeah I have a full tower so I do have space for a 120mm and will probably go that route in a future build. I guess for now I won't add a 2nd fan since for the price I won't be getting much back in performance.

Regarding my temps the games I use to play only got to high 60s and only when I did encoding that it got to mid 70s. Perhaps I should try re-applying thermal paste and/or clean my CPU fan and my intake fans. It has been probably about a year since I last cleaned it out.

Thanks to everyone for your input, appreciate it.
 
Back
Top