Push ,pull or push/pull

Eviljoker

Limp Gawd
Got Silverstone PF240 in push.. 2 120mm on the rad 1 below it. 1 in rear and 2 on top.. basically 3 intake 3 exhaust..

So question is should I put 2 slim 120mm on the back for push/pull config? Would it actually make my temps better? Would it be worth it?

I've always had mediocre results with push pull. 100% more fans and noise for at best 20% better temps at 100% speed.

If you're really undersized on the radiator and getting meh temps already at 100% fan speed it may be of benefit, otherwise I would stick to what you have

You might clarify what fans you are actually talking about, as PF240 is the model number of an AIO, not a fan. Your signature says you are using a Corsair H105, is that still true?

With push-pull it is a good idea to put at least a bit of thought into what fans you use. You don't want the fans to fight each other. The best results are usually to use high static-pressure fans as your push fans and high airflow fans as your pull fans. What you really don't want is a pull fan that actually impedes the airflow of your push fan in any way, so the idea of using "slim" fans as your pull fans doesn't sound very good.

How much it will help depends on what you need help with. In some cases you will be temperature limited more by the ability of your cooling block to dissipate the heat into the coolant and/or how fast your pump is pumping the coolant, in which case extra fans on the radiator won't help much. If your coolant is actually heating up significantly, then it might help. It's also worth considering the effects on your overall case airflow.

Push-Pull shouldn't necessarily be noisier than just using push or pull fans. You want to make sure that you don't have oscillation noise caused by mismatched fans. A push-pull config can reduce noise from turbulence as the air flows through the radiator fins, and can allow you to use a less aggressive fan curve to achieve the same airflow. That can compensate for the increased number of fans.

Last edited:
I think it comes down to the pressure you need to drive the air through the rad and out the case. I would try push/pull on the rad and the remaining two fans as exhaust.

If you have the room for it, definitely push/pull with the right type of fans....and fan controllers to dial it in for optimal performance vs. fan noise.

As u can see not alot of room, that's why I wanted to use 2 slim.. I mean I can use 1 slim and 1 normal
15949337749031865621596412690087.jpg

I imagine 2 slim fans will do little to nothing for you. If you want more cooling install a 280mm or remove the bottom plate and stuff a 360 in there or throw a second radiator at the top. I honestly don't think you'll get much with adding more fans (maybe even lose capacity if you don't get the CFM balanced as your fans could be fighting each other).

My vote, not worth it. Save up for a 280mm or 360mm if you want more cooling capacity, your case can fit bigger rad's, so that would be the quickest way to more cooling. Matter of fact, you see those gaps in your fans to your rad (where the light is coming through)? You'd probably get just as much benefit from closing those gaps as you will from trying to add a thin fan ;) which is admittedly very little.

Push/pull mostly helps with high FPI radiators where there is a lot of restriction to airflow. Most radiators on the market today are optimized for low airflow fans as most people watercool for lower noise, so they are not very restrictive. You're better off with regular thickness fans with a slight advantage to pull I believe.

Got Silverstone PF240 in push.. 2 120mm on the rad 1 below it. 1 in rear and 2 on top.. basically 3 intake 3 exhaust..

So question is should I put 2 slim 120mm on the back for push/pull config? Would it actually make my temps better? Would it be worth it?

You are running essentially the same case as I am.

I ran a 280mm intake on a 1700x and got a comfy 4ghz daily all core.
Had to step down to 3.9ghz for certain games like BO4.
4ghz all core I was seeing manageable higher temps, but I was getting jarring spikes in frametime lag.

You need to clarify your temps and "better" under your workloads.

I switched to a U14s cooled 9700kf where I don't care about cpu temps.
3x NF-12 intake can ramp, but I don't hear them with a headset on.
GPU aio cooling had the most impace when I was gaming heavily.
Managing CPU temps was just finding a spot where it didn't affect frame delivery.

if you had the room and fans id say sure why not. since you have neither, its not really worth the few degrees difference.

Cool. Thanks all.. not worth all the trouble, for a just a few degrees...
Yeah, unless it's completely designed for it, you would be lucky to see 1* differences. It really depends on so many things though (radiator fin density, what fans you would be using for push/pull, case flow, etc). As mentioned you really want a higher static pressure fan in push, with a higher flow fan for pull... using slim fans is going to be difficult to find in either of these instances. If you like to play around or you didn't have any more room in your case for more radiators, maybe? But yeah, for your situation, good call on not wasting the time/effort for minimal gains.

Back