Push pin, suck? or im slow?

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
6,781
I bought 1: Arctic Colling Alpine 7 pro from microcenter for my p4 3.0 ghz ( LGA 775 socket)
The Alpine is one of those push pins, I cant seem for the life of my to push it in. And i dont think its me, i took apart the push pins to have a closer look and compared it the the hole already in the board and its not going to fit. Any suggestions? I just bought this today, will microcent return it w/o issue?
 
OH my god. I thought I just had no hand strength. I have a Scythe Ninja and I recently had to replace my mobo, and let me tell you, I f!@#$%king hate push pins. I'm afraid to press too hard and flex the mobo too much, but then the damn thing is half on and my processor will overheat. *sigh*

Will that bolt-on thing work with a Ninja, do you think?
 
After much research, the push pins ( though are advertised for my socket) just won't fit. its impossible too fit something into a hole thats 3 times bigger than the whole to begin with
 
After much research, the push pins ( though are advertised for my socket) just won't fit. its impossible too fit something into a hole thats 3 times bigger than the whole to begin with

You should watch more porn!
 
i understand if the hole is too small but people having trouble with ac7 or intel stock you're just a retard. you turn it opposite of the arrow...just like the instructions say and you push in.
 
These LGA 775's are a pain. I've installed half a dozen and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier for me. There's no real trick to it. What I usually do is get the first two that a diagonal from one another. Then get the next pair (as it states in the manual). The fourth/final pin can be near impossible though. So, I cheat a bit when i've placed in the last pin and it's not quite locked into place. After twisting it...you can see the tab is not fully locked in it's slot...just apply a bit of pressure and it'll get the tap over that last little hump. Be sure to place yoru hand underneath to apply opposing force so it doesn't snap the board.

I wasted over 3 hours installing a Cooler Master TX2 and that's the solution I came up with. Be sure to stare at the mechanism for a few minutes and make sure you understand how it works. Make sure when placing the white part in the hole that the black spokes within are in the up position. Push the spokes down only after the white is already in the hole.
 
I took it back and got a screw in :p saves me some time dealing with broken plastic
 
In the long run yes, but i can't imagine anyone enjoys having to remove their mobo :eek:

I'm in the camp that says the Intel push/pin HSF mounts are horsesh*t :eek:

Concerning the part about removing a mobo, I think It's a whole lot better to remove the board one measly time then:
1) screw up and warp or break the mobo, thereby ruining it
2) fry a cpu chip because of a faulty or fubared push/pin
3) become frustrated trying to get the HSF push/pins orientated with the mobo mount holes
4) getting ulcers from worrying if the freakin' pins are all in and you didn't damage the mobo socket from pushing too hard on the HSF (D'oh :rolleyes:)

I haven't even included the hospital emergency room charge yet because you broke or sprained your fingers, hands or arms in your fanatical attempt to get IMO the worthless push/pins in. :(

But like the people living in a democracy say "to each his/her own" When I see people struggling with the dippy push/pin mounts it confirms my belief there are some sadists in this world. :D

Don't anybody loose their jock strap, these are only my opinions and my hard won experiences :D

 
Even when I used the stock cooler, I first tried the push pin mechanisim and found it bent my motherboard too much (because I had to use so much force to push the pins in). I quickly ripped off the push pins and went out and bought some long machine bolts, nuts, insulated washers and some springs. I little more effort but a lot less frustration in the long run. It looked like a similar setup as the Thermalright mounting kit (as I have now).

Thermalright can make and sell the mounting kit for what $7?? (and still make a profit). I'd gladly pay that extra to begin with from Intel just to avoid the same situation again.
 
Back
Top