Purchasing new PC

Greeink

Weaksauce
Looking to purchase, and not build, a new computer. Just needed some recommendations... Will be using it for entertainment purposes ( games, movies, music).

My budget is in the $1,000 range. Not looking for a monitor in the "package."

I'm not sure where to buy... I keep getting people telling me to buy from Dell, as they have good prices (Or so they say)... and have good support.

Personally, I've heard you can do better... but I'm somewhat "afraid" of these custom build sites.

Any recommendations folks?

Thanks,
Greeink

Just a warning. There is a good chance of a wave of ppl coming in here telling you that should build (which you should) rather than buy an off-the-shelf computer.

I guess lurk around slickdeals.net and look for a promo code to HP or Dell. Like one of those $300 off a $1000 computer.

Yeah. I figured I'd get a lot of those...

Lately I do not have the time to put together a PC efficiently or trust me I would... :eek:

I agree with you, it is often easier to buy a system off the shelf.

Regarding what to look for in a system, all you need would be a basic multi-core processor (e.g. AMD Phenom X3, Intel CD Quad, Intel i5),
4GB of RAM (e.g. DDR2 or DDR3), a fast HD (e.g. WD6400AAKS, Samsung F3), a good storage drive (e.g.WD10EADS or any other 1Terabyte drive)
and a multi-media videocard (e.g. AMD/ATI HD3850, nVidia GT220).

You should spend some time reading build threads in General Hardware as this will give you any idea of what items to look for in your purchase.

You could try this vendor to configure a system or this site for coupon codes applicable to mass market systems.

Last edited:
Hi, Greeink...

My strongest recommendation is that you really research different companies--especially if you're interested in finding a smaller manufacturer--prior to purchasing a system. The people here are pretty opinionated about who their favorites are...and who they would never buy from. You're absolutely right to be skeptical, but don't discount the little guys. You can get a great deal with spectacular service if you shop around and talk with people at the company directly.

If you're interested in looking at a Maingear system while you're shopping around, our X-Cube system is a good solution for under $1,000. One of the benefits of working with a custom builder is that you typically get excellent, highly personalized service, and I think that Maingear's done a great job of honing in on what people want from a builder. Every concern that I've ever heard from a customer service standpoint, I think we've covered.

Don't hesitate to message me or call me. I'm here to help you--not just as a company rep, but as a long time [H] participant and an advocate of the custom computer industry. As contrived as that sounds, people here will tell you that it's the truth. I just want to reassure you that going with a reputable, smaller builder carries no risk (and a lot of benefits) as long as you go with someone established and well reviewed here. People who go custom usually don't ever go back.

I love this sector of the industry, and I love helping people discover that you do have other options aside from the big guys...even if in the end, you decide not to consider us as an option. I know, right? I'm actually a pretty nice person. LOL. :eek:

In any case, good luck.

I forgot about Maingear.

The X-Cube (AMD) appears like it will perfect for you (get 4GB of RAM and card reader).

Good luck.

I would take a serious look at all the vendors large and small if your set against building your self. I have serious concerns with all OEM (they tend to have rotten GPU's like the nvidia 220, HD4350 or push you into outdated stuff like the HD38XX series) for myself as I can't justify spending more money to save myself an hour and a half of work. If your comfortable overpaying by at least a 50% margin for some parts then by all means be my guest, just be very sure of your needs before hand. Some use all types of proprietary parts from PSU's to Cases and can make it a real nightmare to upgrade your computer if you have the need down the road.

That said I tend to lean people towards Dell for their prebuilts for a couple of reasons. Dell will be here in 3 years, and you will be able to get parts if need be. The same can't be said of every vendor out there. Dell's prices while not fantastic are very competitive with any OEM out there. Add in some free shipping, and their random deals and you can usually have your self a winner. Don't be afraid to look at their refurb units either, it's a great way to stretch your buying dollar and still have your warranty. I'd take a look at the studio line as the base specs are probably all you'll need with 4gb of ram and an Intel C2Q cpu.
Dell Studio Slim..maybe this?

Well you could buy from a large PC chain and get stuck with some thing that you may not be able to up grade down the road. Or, you could hit your local mom and pop PC shops and get them to build you one that you could upgrade down the road.

Allot of people over look going this way or have doubts on prices since there small. But finding the right place could give you the best bang for the buck over the PC chains and give you exactly what you want in parts.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and feedback. I'll take it slow and see what I can find out there from all areas.

Speaking of Dell and little deals. I configured this one with a savings coupon... not bad at all, or at least I think so:

Studio XPS 8000, Intel® Core™ i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs
750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
No Monitor
nVidia GeForce GTX260 1792MB GDDR3
Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

With savings it comes to $1,190.40

I'm debating to whether add a monitor or not. I'm already using a 22inch... but I would love to go bigger! :p

Speakers, Mouse, and Keyboard are obviously all owned.

Just picked up my Logitech Performance MX. Love it.

Possibly thinking about going for the i-7 for $100 more....

For Dell, not so bad eh?

EDIT: Yikes! 350 Watt supply!!... That is ridiculously/ scary low. Heck, the Studio 9000 appears to have a 475 Watt supply. I'm not so sure if this is going to turn me off or not...

Greenie

Last edited:
Don't worry about the power supply Dell included in the XPS. For that system, I would be very surprised if it was not an 80+ efficient model.

If you want a larger monitor, downgrade the RAM to 4GB and save for a 24".

Keep the i5 versus the i7 as it will be overkill for your intended use.

Thanks for the recommendations, but as good as that deal looks to me I'm going to see if Dell has anything"crazy" for "black Friday."

4GB's instead of 8GB's huh? As most of the time it's not that much more expensive... I'm not sure I see any problems with just sticking with 8GB's?

Yes, I do plan on sticking with the i5... unless of course I see something "crazy!" :p

Now... I just got to pursue a monitor while I wait a little bit longer, as much as that is going to kill me. :D

I think you would like these,

This computer is $985, you'll need to add an OS, which is $104 more. A total of $1089...
Some specs of this one.

* • NZXT Beta Mid-Tower Case
* • Intel Core i7-920 CPU
* • Asus P6T SE Intel X58 MB
* • 6GB PC1333 DDR3 10666 RAM
* • 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM HDD
* • ATI HD 5750 1GB Video
* • LG 22X DVD±R/±RW Drive
* • High Definition 7.1 Sound

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_IV/

Then there's this one. It comes with water cooling, it looks pretty cool. It's $1129, including Windows 7 64bit.

* • NZXT M59 Mid-Tower Case
* • Intel Core i7-920 CPU
* • MSI X58 Pro-E Intel X58 MB
* • 6GB PC1333 DDR3 10666 RAM
* • 1TB SATA-II 7200RPM HDD
* • ATI HD 5770 1GB DDR5 Video
* • LG 22X DVD±R/±RW Drive
* • 16X DVD ROM
* • High Definition 7.1 Sound
* • Windows 7 Home Premium

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_XT/

So, yea I would shoot for the second one even though it's a few bucks over the limit.

Otherwise, here's a list of some other computers from this place. Some range from $700 to $3000. Remember to add an OS on some of them.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/intel_pc/

Good luck!

~KI

Last edited:
Whatever you do OP, don't buy from Cyberpower or iBuypower. They're well known for shitty construction, piss-poor customer support, and the allowance of their users to get shitty PSUs capable of damaging their hardware.

In addition, there's reason why there's a certain colloquialism exists about them

Back