• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Pulled the trigger

Viper87227 said:
Any particular reason why? These plastic things are really stiff, I am not really worried that it may warp.
Just that over time one may start to stretch compared to the other.
 
towert7 said:
Just that over time one may start to stretch compared to the other.


I am not worried. The strenght of the bar far outdoes the weight of the cans. The one on front is taller anyways, so its not like they were meant to be even.

EDIT: Also, I am really warming up the grado's. I think the 8 hour burn in helped... and my ears are adjusting. They still need burn in time, and I still think the amp is gunna help a bit... but they are sounding better. Still uncomfortable as hell though :(
 
Reporting back with the Grado's have around 15 hours of burn in time... things are definatly looking up. The highs are loosing some of there sharpness, and the bass is becoming more defined. I am also starting to see what people mean when they say hear every detail, i'm hearing small parts in songs ive never noticed before.

Still eagerly awating an amp, and I have been talking to Larry over at Headphile about c-pads to try and nail down the right ones for me. The ones I am getting come to $120. The next paycheck is paying for those.
 
I decided to hit up home depot today, to see if I could come up with something better for hanging the cans. Looke like I found the perfect solution... shelf mounts :). I got it all set up, and it works much better. Allows the cans to hang evenly and freely, not resting on the side of the shelf, or only resting on part of the headband.

Here she blows:

cans059.jpg
 
towert7 said:
Much better ^_^


Aye, I was actually quite happy with the turnout. $30 well spent. I just need to find a way to deal with wires a little better now.
 
FooTemps said:
CABLE TURTLES!

Cable Turtles (as much as I LOVE that name), are not the answer. The lenth itself is perfect... its the fact that they risk getting tangled with the others... or just genrelly look ugly when in view, that is the problem. I am thinking about picking up some anchors to put on the shelf.
 
It's getting worse :)

Small potatoes, but I ordered a custom interconnect cable... the one that comes with the pa2v2 just ain't gunna cut it.

Please.. someone take away my wallet.
 
I confiscate it for you! (can i buy myself a cable turtle and go-vibe 5 with it? hahaha)

I can see what you mean for the cable organization. The best way to organize them would be horizontally so the cables don't get tangled. But from looking at the shelf, that doesn't seem possible.
 
FooTemps said:
I confiscate it for you! (can i buy myself a cable turtle and go-vibe 5 with it? hahaha)

I can see what you mean for the cable organization. The best way to organize them would be horizontally so the cables don't get tangled. But from looking at the shelf, that doesn't seem possible.


If I gave it to you to buy an amp and some cable turtles, I woudln't be doing myself any favors, now would I? :)

Also, here is a pic of the cable I got... it's the longest one of the bunch.

img1951jh3.jpg
 
Jeez, you started a little after me with your addiction and your collection is already whoopin mine! hahaha
 
FooTemps said:
Jeez, you started a little after me with your addiction and your collection is already whoopin mine! hahaha


I don't know whether to be proud of that or not :p. I can tell already, this is going to be one damn expensive hobby. I still need to get them grado c-pads... and I still want a pair od HD595's. I dont even know why, they just look so damn comfortable... I will find a use for them :). I probably won't ever own them, but who knows. What I will probably own far to soon however, is a $400ish amp. It's going to be a cold day when the cost of my audio setup surpases the cost of my computer, but I fear it will happen in due time.
 
:p I really wish I could compete with your wallet! All my money is going towards school and rent. Stupid poor college student lifestyle!

And the audio setup surpassing computer setup... I think it'll happen sooner than later. Because you usually keep all our audio gear! You need cans for gaming, cans for music, cans for classical (far too different from the styles that I listen to so I need different cans), IEMs for portable, exercise headphones... Then there's the setups! You'll need a DAC, a good source, different amps paired with the headphones, portable amp... I mean, I bought my SR225 and PA2v2 and it already costs 10% of the computer setup...
I forsee your future as very expensive...
 
FooTemps said:
:p I really wish I could compete with your wallet! All my money is going towards school and rent. Stupid poor college student lifestyle!

And the audio setup surpassing computer setup... I think it'll happen sooner than later. Because you usually keep all our audio gear! You need cans for gaming, cans for music, cans for classical (far too different from the styles that I listen to so I need different cans), IEMs for portable, exercise headphones... Then there's the setups! You'll need a DAC, a good source, different amps paired with the headphones, portable amp... I mean, I bought my SR225 and PA2v2 and it already costs 10% of the computer setup...
I forsee your future as very expensive...


Yeah... I totally forgot about that... I will need some IEMs, then I will probably give the pa2v2 to them, and get a new amp for home use. Then I have to buy an MP3 player to use the IEMs :D.

Far as paying for this all goes, my wallet really aint that big. I am in college too, but the goverment pays for all of that, and then some (yay government!). The reason I had so much cash to splurge with is just sold $450 in watercooling gear.
 
wish i had that much WC gear to sell. I guess I could switch back to air, but then my SFF setup might just burn up! lol

(government stopped paying for me since I finished my 1st quarter of college... :()

I still need to buy an mp3 player too! hahaha
 
Viper87227 said:
If I gave it to you to buy an amp and some cable turtles, I woudln't be doing myself any favors, now would I? :)

Also, here is a pic of the cable I got... it's the longest one of the bunch.

img1951jh3.jpg


I've seen those cables before! I looked at them and considered buying one... but I ended up getting some Cardas HPI instead. I got a 6" one and a 2meter one. (my desk is on the floor next to my desk and I needed about a 4' cable)

but they haven't even lasted a month... I got the DIY bug and am in the process of recabling some headphones, making a desktop PIMETA and making some new cables :D
 
FooTemps said:
wish i had that much WC gear to sell. I guess I could switch back to air, but then my SFF setup might just burn up! lol

(government stopped paying for me since I finished my 1st quarter of college... :()

I still need to buy an mp3 player too! hahaha

I decided to go air and had a dual-loop setup to part out, so lots of stuff... and I also had various crap collecting.

Far as an MP3 player goes, I have been eyeng the JetAudio players. They ar pretty popular on Head-Fi. Good barrary life, plays FLAC, and comes with the neat LCD Remote thing. Resonably priced too. I just don't know which one to get...

iAudio X5 30GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855603822
iAudio X5 30GB w/ better battary - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855603827
iAudio X5 60GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855603828

The 60GB is the cheapest per GB, and given that I would like to use FLAC where possible, I bet I could fill that up easily. I will probably get that.
 
soloz2 said:
yeah the pa2v2 is a great little amp. you can get them new directly from gary for $60 shipped then you'll just have to put your own batteries in . it tends to add a bit more bass. the other amp in the same price range is a LDM+ it is a bit more neutral and you can get for $65 direct off ebay

Who is this "gary" you speak of?
 
Uhg... talk about fustrating. Still no amp. I paid 8-11, and was infromed it shipped the same day. Here we are, 8-24, nothing. Something just isn't right, and for some reason Gary won't recognize that. He is a nice guy and all, but it should not take this long. It's well past his 5-10 business days, and all he can tell me is it should arrive soon. It's got me ever moreso worried, and fustrated, by the fact that a buddy of mine, who lives in Idaho, ordered an amp last Thursday, and get it yesturay. Given that northen illinois is a helluva lot closer to Ontario than Idaho... it just doesn't make sense. There is a holdup somewhere, and its really starting to fustrate me.

/rant
 
Viper87227 said:
Uhg... talk about fustrating. Still no amp. I paid 8-11, and was infromed it shipped the same day. Here we are, 8-24, nothing. Something just isn't right, and for some reason Gary won't recognize that. He is a nice guy and all, but it should not take this long. It's well past his 5-10 business days, and all he can tell me is it should arrive soon. It's got me ever moreso worried, and fustrated, by the fact that a buddy of mine, who lives in Idaho, ordered an amp last Thursday, and get it yesturay. Given that northen illinois is a helluva lot closer to Ontario than Idaho... it just doesn't make sense. There is a holdup somewhere, and its really starting to fustrate me.

/rant
Is this your first international purchase?
Nothings wrong from the sounds of it. I can see why Gary is'nt worried yet.
Chances are it's been held up in customs or something. Gary has reported that some of his items have been delayed in shipping recently.

I know you're excited, but give it a little more time. Personally, If I didn't have it by september 1, I would start getting worried.

Viper said:
It's well past his 5-10 business days,
Not sure what time it was shipped on Friday, the 11'th, but if you discount that day, then friday will be the 10'th day (assuming the shipping method doesn't count saturday as a business day). So it's still nothing out of the ordinary.

Edit: Mine took a couple of weeks to arrive to. No worries.
 
towert7 said:
Is this your first international purchase?
Nothings wrong from the sounds of it. I can see why Gary is'nt worried yet.
Chances are it's been held up in customs or something. Gary has reported that some of his items have been delayed in shipping recently.

I know you're excited, but give it a little more time. Personally, If I didn't have it by september 1, I would start getting worried.


Not sure what time it was shipped on Friday, the 11'th, but if you discount that day, then friday will be the 10'th day (assuming the shipping method doesn't count saturday as a business day). So it's still nothing out of the ordinary.


It was standard post.... in Canada Saturday does not have post, but stateside we do, so it counds as a business day here. That means, even it if was in Canada both weekends, today was day 10, and it did not arrive. If it was stateside by weekend #2, its day 11. The 11th counts... it shipped early that morning.

For the record, perhaps I worded it wrong... I am not angry or upset or anything with Gary.. hes a super nice guy. I am more or less angry at the circumstances, becuase it simply should not take this long... see the other example I gave. And no, this is not my first internation purchase. I've dont several, its NEVER taken this long. I have had several packages from Tokyo and Hong Kong that have arrived much quicker.... as well as a fair share from Canada, and typically they have always been 1-2 days longer than standerd CONUS shipping.
 
Just thought I might add that I have the ATH-AD700s as my main can for mainly music (but also gaming) and I absolutely love them. They're the open version of the a700, by the way.

The ad700s are perfect....punchy bass, renounced mids, very sharp highs, excellent soundstage...they're lovely headphones. I can't imagine headphones getting better than this sucker (that's my excuse not to upgrade :p )
 
m3ta1head said:
Just thought I might add that I have the ATH-AD700s as my main can for mainly music (but also gaming) and I absolutely love them. They're the open version of the a700, by the way.

The ad700s are perfect....punchy bass, renounced mids, very sharp highs, excellent soundstage...they're lovely headphones. I can't imagine headphones getting better than this sucker (that's my excuse not to upgrade :p )


Heh... funny you say that. I had my A700 a week before the Grado's, adn I was thinking the same thing, they were so awesome, how can the Grado's top them. Now... I can't listen to music on them. It sounds so bland. They are still top notch for gaming and movies, but the Grados are much better for music. Not as comfortable, but the c-pads will change that, and not quite as bassey, but the amp will fix that xp.
 
A pair of SR225s will be my next phone, for sure. I'm thinking about selling these ad700s (I JUST GOT THEM! :p ) and trying out the AKG K 501.

Thoughts?
 
Yea, for 60$ including shipping, I'm sure it was the slowest ground shipping possible It is odd how you friend got his first. Strange.

My only guess is his went though custums, and your's got checked...?

~Keep us posted
 
m3ta1head said:
A pair of SR225s will be my next phone, for sure. I'm thinking about selling these ad700s (I JUST GOT THEM! :p ) and trying out the AKG K 501.

Thoughts?


What else are you using them for other than music?
 
Viper87227 said:
What else are you using them for other than music?

I use them for light gaming too, and for that, the soundstage is awesome. I can give that up, though, if I'm getting superior SQ.
 
m3ta1head said:
I use them for light gaming too, and for that, the soundstage is awesome. I can give that up, though, if I'm getting superior SQ.


For gaming, it is my understanding that closed cans are better. I certainly noticed a difference. I find it much easier to tell the direction sounds are coming from. I feel more like i'm in the action. I cant really explain it, but thats how it is. As such, perhaps you should give them a try. If you like the A700 sound, then perhaps the closed version would be good for you. The AKG K271looks hot... but I dunno if that woudl fall into your budget or not, they are a little more.
 
Viper87227 said:
:(... the mail lady had no amp for me today.
If you wanted it that bad, I'm surprised you didn't ask him to tack on rush shipping for an additional charge.
 
towert7 said:
If you wanted it that bad, I'm surprised you didn't ask him to tack on rush shipping for an additional charge.


It's not that I want it in a hurry. It's that its past the 5-10 days its supposed to ship, has gotten to others much faster, and i've never had an international package take this long. I'm worried somethings up, and fustrated because it should not take this long.



EDIT: Baught some C-Pad today :).

Larry told me it could take up to 4 weeks to get them made, he's got a pretty big list of orders to do.
 
Viper87227 said:
EDIT: Baught some C-Pad today :).

Larry told me it could take up to 4 weeks to get them made, he's got a pretty big list of orders to do.
Ah, what color for the wood and the pads? Larry's work is great, well worth the wait.
Just know that you may need to get something like a beyer headband.
 
Viper87227 said:
Heh... funny you say that. I had my A700 a week before the Grado's, adn I was thinking the same thing, they were so awesome, how can the Grado's top them. Now... I can't listen to music on them. It sounds so bland. They are still top notch for gaming and movies, but the Grados are much better for music. Not as comfortable, but the c-pads will change that, and not quite as bassey, but the amp will fix that xp.

Grado's, LOVE THEM.

Still even have a trusty pair of SR-60's I use everynow and then. Refuse to sell them even with better cans at my house.
 
towert7 said:
Ah, what color for the wood and the pads? Larry's work is great, well worth the wait.
Just know that you may need to get something like a beyer headband.



I got all black... i'm not a fan of the woodies.

Far as the head band goes, I was thinking about getting a beyer... its like $15. Do I have to have it though? The stock headband is perfectly comfortable (though it could do well to have a bit more pressure)
 
Viper87227 said:
Far as the head band goes, I was thinking about getting a beyer... its like $15. Do I have to have it though? The stock headband is perfectly comfortable (though it could do well to have a bit more pressure)
For most people, the beyer ear pads hit the little black plastic on the headband since they are so big (where the metal poles go through). If you have a very tall head, this won't be a problem.

So, to add some extra height, most people add the beyer pad. With it, the pads are lower and they don't hit the plastic end caps.
As for comfort, unless you are bald, chances are you won't notice much of a difference (although they won't move around your hair as much as the leather grado headband). Some grado headbands you can snap all 4 buttons, while other headbands you can only snap the outer 2 buttons on the beyer pads (but it still works the same).

Personally I know I would need the headband if I were to use C-pads. May be worth it to just order one from the beyerdynamic USA.

Can't wait to see what they look like with the C-pads when you get them.
 
towert7 said:
For most people, the beyer ear pads hit the little black plastic on the headband since they are so big (where the metal poles go through). If you have a very tall head, this won't be a problem.

So, to add some extra height, most people add the beyer pad. With it, the pads are lower and they don't hit the plastic end caps.
As for comfort, unless you are bald, chances are you won't notice much of a difference (although they won't move around your hair as much as the leather grado headband). Some grado headbands you can snap all 4 buttons, while other headbands you can only snap the outer 2 buttons on the beyer pads (but it still works the same).

Personally I know I would need the headband if I were to use C-pads. May be worth it to just order one from the beyerdynamic USA.

Can't wait to see what they look like with the C-pads when you get them.

Rumor has it, it's only $12 shipped if you call up beyer... so I might as well, can't hurt much. Sadly, the C-Pads sorta wiped me out, I dont have another $12 to spare :(. I will get them with my next paycheck. If the C-Pads really take 4 weeks, I will still have them in pleanty of time.

I can't wait either. I look forward to not having to take off the Grados after an hour of use because my ears just cant take it anymore.

Also, for the record, probably next month, I am picking up some Shure E4C's. Brand spankin new for $160... I just cannot pass that up :D
 
Back
Top