Pulled the trigger, 5870 in route - any special prep needed?

JayteeBates

[H]ard|Poof
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
5,523
Ok so with the ridiculous CC 15% bing cashback deal I ordered an XFX 5870 which should arrive on Wednesday. Now I haven't left the green team since my X800XL which was until now my one and only ATi card since 1996.

So when I go to remove my GTX295 what prep should I do? Uninstall the NV Drivers via control panel (Win7 Ultimate)...anything else? I also guess I should remove nHancer as well, going to miss that one as it really is a fantastic program. Is there an ATi alternative to it?

I also have rivatuner installed do I need to remove that and reinstall once the ATi drivers are in?
 
Last edited:
When switching brands, it might be best to use Driver Cleaner as well. Uninstall Nvidia drivers/software, power down and switch cards, then boot up into Safe mode and run Driver Cleaner/Sweeper(can't remember the exact name),then reboot in normal Windows and install AMD drivers.
 
Good to know thanks for the tip, I pulled the trigger last night on a Gigbyte 5870. Had the upgrade itch and had a friend willing to buy my GTX260. Looking forward to trying ATI.
 
you guys really need to stop with these "i got a 5870" posts

you're about to get me in a lot of trouble with the wife.
 
^ "Honey... didn't we used to have only one monitor?" "How come there are three now?" LoL
 
A box of wine, a pair of white undies, scented candles, and a tub of Vaseline should do the trick.

In other news I don't think Win7 is as bitchy about uninstalling drivers as XP was. I went from a GTS 250 to HD 5770 with no problems without uninstalling.
 
Didn't really do much. I didn't use driver cleaner. Heck the 9800gtx drivers were still in there when i installed the 5850 :D

When i found a buyer for my 9800gtx, i just pulled it out of the case, re-wrapped it in the box and handed it to him. Then got a Sapphire 5850 and put it in. I had no chance to remove the nVidia drivers first.

The 5850 started up normally, i uninstalled the nVidia drivers and put in the ATI ones. No problem.

This was when i was still using winXP. I reformatted anyway when i moved to Win7 couple of weeks later.
 
i just switched from a gtx 285 in win 7 x64 and simply uninstalled the nvidia drivers from control panel...dropped the 5870 in there...installed drivers...restarted. worked great!

all this driver cleaner/safe mode shit is just way overhyped.
 
i just switched from a gtx 285 in win 7 x64 and simply uninstalled the nvidia drivers from control panel...dropped the 5870 in there...installed drivers...restarted. worked great!

all this driver cleaner/safe mode shit is just way overhyped.

I agree it's probably unnecessary, but it takes 15 minutes to do it, why not just to be safe?
 
I just made a 5970 preperation folder when mine was on order, I filled it with DX11 tools and benchmarks and various tools for overvolting, overclocking and stability testing as well as a few game demos i wanted to try.
 
You could always fix a seat belt to your computer chair so that you're safe during the blazing fast speeds of your new video card.
 
I wouldn't worry too much about the drivers; vista and 7 seem to handle hardware/driver changes better than XP did
 
Is ATI Tray Tools still being developed and supported? That was my favorite app in my red days.
 
I downloaded driver cleaner and have uninstalled the NV drivers. When the xfx gets here I'll drop it in and do the safe mode clean and fire it up. Crysis among others are waiting to be loaded again.
 
I hate you guys


pulled the trigger

hopefully it will be a nice upgrade from the 260 GTX
 
I also pulled the trigger but I'll be leaving my nvidia drivers as I'll be running a GTX 285 in addition to the 5870
 
Grats and good luck with the Boss. :)

The boss cleared it. I picked up 20 hours of overtime this week. Luckly the OT more than covers the price of the card so I was able to slide the card in as a reward for working so hard.

On a side note, can this thing push Crysis at max settings 1680x1050 ? (monitors naitive res)

I haven't played Crysis yet as I was waiting for a card powerful enough to push it maxed out on my monitor with all the fancy effects pumped up. I'm thinking this might be the card.
 
I think people have posted very good min/avg/max for WarHead with AA/AF. Not sure if you mean the first Crysis?
 
Dang you guys,saw that cash back and fought every urge to purchase this thing...5870 is in the mail.
My only fear is I dont want the dreaded grey,brown or blue screens from it.
 
Dang you guys,saw that cash back and fought every urge to purchase this thing...5870 is in the mail.
My only fear is I dont want the dreaded grey,brown or blue screens from it.
It's not wide spread. The chances are very slim you'll have any problems with the card.
 
It's not wide spread. The chances are very slim you'll have any problems with the card.

You're right.Im glad I bought the card I wont look back on it.Cant wait to try BF:BC2 with it.Im currently running sli'd 9800 gtx's.
 
Back
Top