Public Thanks to MisterX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbin77

Limp Gawd
I just wanted to publicly thank MisterX for the very nice Pimeta headphone amp that he built for me. Here is a link to the pics of the amp.

I have this matched up with Senn 595's and the X-Fi Platinum.

pics of amp

Everything sounds great, although I was very disappointed with the 595's for a while. But I think that was because of some necessary breakin, and some tuning of the whole setup. Now everything rocks.

Again, I just wanted to reiterate my thanks to him in public.

Nubbin.

No....It is me that should be thanking you.
Your post was a nice reminder of why I started building amps to begin with. :)
thankyou.gif

How much did it run you? And how is the sound? Also have a pair of 595's i'd like to get an amp for soon hopefully...Heard nothing but good things about Mister X though.

kamxam said:
Heard nothing but good things about Mister X though.
Well, I had a bad experience with Mister X. (I too was thinking of buying one of his PPA amps, but after the way he treated me I would never pay him a cent for his behavior).

I'de avoid him, no matter if its a good deal or not. PM me if you want more details.

They do look nice though, I like the brushed aluminum cases. :)

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
Well, I had a bad experience with Mister X. (I too was thinking of buying one of his PPA amps, but after the way he treated me I would never pay him a cent for his behavior).

I'de avoid him, no matter if its a good deal or not. PM me if you want more details.

~Hope this helps

We can't be both thinking of the same Mister X? :confused:

He's my hero... :D ...

Moofasa~ said:
We can't be both thinking of the same Mister X? :confused:

He's my hero... :D ...
I know, I was very surprised myself when he behaved the way he did to me.

Maybe I'll make a webpage in which I review his services (can't review his amp, for I never ordered one from him).

It might be a Stark difference from what the general consensus is here, but it will be the truth.

By the way nubbin77, how's the pimeta sound? How does it improve the HD595's?

Link is broken.

I, too, am looking for a decent amp for the 595s. Something that would be for home use 90% of the time, so it needs a DC in, but a battery to go portable.

silasbear said:
Link is broken.

I, too, am looking for a decent amp for the 595s. Something that would be for home use 90% of the time, so it needs a DC in, but a battery to go portable.
refresh your page a few times. Sometimes it comes up with a error, others it goes to the picture gallery....... your best guess is mine

towert7 said:
I know, I was very surprised myself when he behaved the way he did to me.

Maybe I'll make a webpage in which I review his services (can't review his amp, for I never ordered one from him).

It might be a Stark difference from what the general consensus is here, but it will be the truth.

I dont' know about your claims. I'd be more inclined to think it is something you said that was rude. I mean come on, you don't think posting your off-topic thread crapping bs in this thread isn't rude? I have had nothing but great expierences with MisterX. I am not alone in this. He is a great person to deal with and if you don't agree then fine. But you don't have to go and thread crap every thread about him. That is just childish.

To anyone reading this thread. Take what towert7 says with a grain of salt. MisterX's great track record with many many people on this forum speaks for itself.

fix the link. I've tried several times with no luck. I'd like to see his work and I agree, threadcrapping in a praise thread isn't a good idea.

Pkirk618 said:
fix the link. I've tried several times with no luck. I'd like to see his work and I agree, threadcrapping in a praise thread isn't a good idea.
Just trying to help kamxam out. Don't worry though, im done with sharing my views in the open forum.

Now back on topic ^_^

Sorry about the link guys. Its actually Mister X's link he sent me when he was showing me pictures of it. Maybe he decided to take it down after I posted this. It WAS up I swear!!!.

Anyway if I were to describe the benefit of the amp.. in layman's terms, it makes the sound punchier and a little more crisp. The 595's had pretty poor bass response IMHO before the amp. With the amp there's more kick. But not overwhelmingly so. Overall, the difference is somewhat subtle. But the parts of the sound that were enhanced were exactly the parts that I thought were somewhat lacking.

And to the guy who had problems with Mister X, I have to imagine the problem was on your end. Mister X was nothing but professional and even worked out a nice payment solution.

Take care everyone.

Just wanted to pipe up and add my 2 cents. He was helpful to me when I was looking for buffers for my pimeta; I wasn't even buying anything from him and he went out of his way to find me a deal on some on e-bay. An outstanding member of our community. Towert, i'm not saying you're wrong, but if you could maybe share your experiences with everyone else rather than this "PM me" crap, we might take what you are saying more seriously.

nubbin77 said:
Anyway if I were to describe the benefit of the amp.. in layman's terms, it makes the sound punchier and a little more crisp. The 595's had pretty poor bass response IMHO before the amp. With the amp there's more kick. But not overwhelmingly so. Overall, the difference is somewhat subtle. But the parts of the sound that were enhanced were exactly the parts that I thought were somewhat lacking.

Take care everyone.
Ah, thanks for the info.

Its always funny because some people say amps make a big diffrence, while others discribe the diffrences as subtle. Not to say either is wrong, its just interesting the range of opinions.

~Thanks again

towert7 said:
Ah, thanks for the info.

Its always funny because some people say amps make a big diffrence, while others discribe the diffrences as subtle. Not to say either is wrong, its just interesting the range of opinions.

~Thanks again

The effect an headphone amp has depends a bit on the headphone they are driving. Some headphones just plain require an amp and using them without one and with one will make a HUGE difference. Other more effiecent phones dont really need an amp but would still benefit since many players (iPods) builtin amps tend to get sloppy when driven hard and a well designed amp can eliminate that.

I can't imagine MisterX being anything but the utmost professional; just completed a transaction with him (waiting for my PPA2 to arrive) and he was absolutley great.

Thansk MisterX, you can look fowards to another of these threads when my amp gets here :p

Well, when I was looking into a CMoy many months ago, I went straight to the X. He's on Head-fi and [H], and was most helpful to me. ;)

I decided to go with a pair of headphones that don't benefit greatly from extra juice, just so I can keep the credit card on lock down. :rolleyes:

How much does this Pimeta thing cost?

And, would I be better off with an X-Can v3?

towert7 said:

~Hope this helps
Mister X doesn't like idiots. Mister X doesn't like people being rude to him. Mister X doesn't like anyone that is lazy. Mister X has a sense of humor that borders on belittling you. So...don't be a moron, an idiot, or a pussy and you'll be just fine. He's a good guy that does good work.

I've dealt with him several times. Perhaps you need some thicker skin?

I knew I should have closed this thread a long time ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back