PUBG Moves to Reclaim Lost Player Base

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago we discussed PUBG losing its player base at a staggering rate. Today we see it put the game on sale for the first time, on Steam for $20, as a "Thank you to our 400+ Million Players." Get while the gettin' is good!

To celebrate these new milestones, we’re putting PUBG on sale on Steam from June 19th (later today!) through July 5th. If you want to pick up the game for the first time or gift it to a friend, you’ll be able to grab it for just $19.99 (33.33% off the normal price).

On the other side of that coin, free-to-play Fortnite, brought in $100M on iOS in its first 90 days. Maybe time for PUBG to rethink its business model?

They got there ass kicked by Fortnite for various reasons and at this point...they just need to release it for free like all the other battle royal games out there. They announced Event Pass and have loot boxes...try make your money via those methods. The game still has tons of potential in my opinion, but it runs like shit (dont have a better way to phrase it and not going to sugar coat it). If you want people to play your shitty running game, they release it for free. People don't want to pay x amount of money for bad performance when there are better FREE battle royal experiences out there.

Lost all of it's playerbase for some reason unless you have a good MMO it's going to be hard to keep people. What you really need is CSGO loot crates people seem to like those. I just opened a bunch of loot backpacks and crates in Quake Champions those were really fun to open. COD WWII has a good loot crate system they just drop out of the sky.

$20 is not free. Fortnite is free. Fortnite is pissing off PUBG to no end. That's like Microsoft offering $500 for the Xbox One while Sony offered the PS4 for $400 from the start. Make it free and people might care to play it again.

From what I've heard, I think they need to do a lot more than just cut the price to get players back into the game. I hear they need to fix quite a few software bugs and problems.

not buying it.......
I was expecting alot more flac than this

Last edited:
I still play, and there still usually around a million people playing on Steam, so there is still time to turn it around. Yes it could still use a few tweaks, but it runs way better than when it launched a year ago, and if this is the end, most game companies would kill for a full year in the spotlight. Honestly why I think it is loosing players was/is the crappy key system and not being on the PS4. Epic started out with a much high player base almost instantly because of the PS4 (and now the Switch), so "Streamers" are going to stream games their viewers can play as well. This "killed" PUBG's Twitch streaming numbers, and now the rest is history.

I have no clue how a price drop is supposed to help existing players, it just may bring in a few new ones but I can't see a huge swath of new players joining up because its on sale now, not with all the press about how people are leaving the game in droves. I played it a few times on a friends account and I can't say I was overly impressed with it, I liked the concept but other games just did what it does but better or in ways that were more suited to me. That and while I was playing it I ran into rampant cheaters I thought I was just being bad but my buddy watching me (who is pretty good at it) was like dude they be cheating while cursing about the Chinese. Decided to play some MWO instead similar concept but the games are faster and queue times non existent with no cheating that I noticed, I mean I suck at the game but at least I feel like if I played more I could get to their level none of that wall hack sniped from across the map, I shot you in the head at point blank and didn't hit you bullshit.

Lost all of it's playerbase for some reason unless you have a good MMO it's going to be hard to keep people. What you really need is CSGO loot crates people seem to like those. I just opened a bunch of loot backpacks and crates in Quake Champions those were really fun to open. COD WWII has a good loot crate system they just drop out of the sky.

I absolutely dominate on quake champions.. as in domi to the nate.

It's the same players over and over I wonder if this game is just bots. I have the free until whenever version steam just released. Is there a version of the game that I can get real players. Also no one responds to game chat which tells me they're all bots.

I heard PUBG runs like shit and from a great many sources so It's nothing I've ever seriously considered.

Plus I watched a handful of Dr. Disrespect twitch videos and found him a creepy as fuck 1 trick pony along with that weird shit he does with his tongue. So yeah, nah .... not a game I'm interested in.

I tried Fortnite a few times, the constant bunny hopping was a major huge ass turn-off for me so won't be back to that game like ... ever.

Was looking forward to BF5 but that's a serious no-go as well with the recently announced black female German soldiers they are going to allow to run around in the game.

But I'm hopeful for something cool in this space sooner or later. Fingers crossed.

I understand Fortnite brought in 100 million in 90 days, but if my math is correct (which it rarely is) 50 million copies sold on all platforms and over 400 million players is somewhere in the ball park of 1.5 Billion dollars. I get it, Fortnite is stealing players, but $1.5B is nothing to really be ashamed about.

A thank you to those of us that already have the game? This isn't a thank you, it's more like a "Hahahahahaa you paid full price for the game, so now we are offering it cheaper for new guys cuz...Fu** you! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA".

There seems to be a lot of harping on "free" vs "paid." I don't mind paying for content if I like the game play. Most elder gamers (ie, people north of 30 years old) are in the same boat, I would think. I prefer it to fortnite.

That said, not sure a sale will recapture customers, so much as attempt to bring in new ones.

heres something im going to leave everyone with (my two cents....)

ya free to play sounds great and all, but for a game like pubg… no

as it is we are getting ALL MAPS FREE, we do not have to pay for them.... end of story, fortnite has 1.....

if they make that game free to play, no doubt that will change.....and then it would further fracture their player base...those who have the map, and those who don't....

for that I atleast give them props..... now if only they could fix some of the issues (I don't experience as many as others...but nonetheless)

regarding the microtransactions and event pass bullshit...well..i don't subscribe to that, so it doesn't hurt me....

further, though fortnite carries the battle royal moniker…. I don't believe it to be battle royal... it seems gimmicky in my opinion and I didn't enjoy playing it at all...

If pubg ran better on my GTX1080 (think about that for a sec) then I’d play it more, it just runs like total shit. More than a few players in any given area, you know they’re there by the way the game stutters and chugs.

Reactions: Curl
like this
If pubg ran better on my GTX1080 (think about that for a sec) then I’d play it more, it just runs like total shit. More than a few players in any given area, you know they’re there by the way the game stutters and chugs.

Have no problems on my 1080.

Its more like a slap in the face for existing players.
Come on, games go on sale. If you have not gotten $10 out of the game by now, you should be slapping yourself, not Bluehole.

Yeah I kind of fail to understand how putting the thing on sale is a "thank you" to the players....that already bought it?

Make it F2P I guess but I think their ship has sailed already. Hopefully the devs didn't blow all their money on coke, whores, and Teslas...

PUBG can be fun, but there are things about it that just make it frustrating. Sometimes you just get caught on the wrong end of the circle spawns. I've played games where all I am doing is sprinting to get in to each circle.. no cars in sight, and by the time, you get in circle, the folks that were fortunate enough to already be in circle are geared all to hell. When I got caught on the wrong end of the circle, there were a few things I would always think they should have done:
1. make the circle last longer or shrink slower... downside is it elongates the match.
2. put more vehicles or methods of transport so people that get screwed by the circle can at least have a chance to get back in without running in a straight line for 2 min.. lots of people getting kills just camp at the edge of the circle as it shrinks and kill the people trying to get in.
3. make getting basic/essential gear easier. Don't know how many times I find a decent gun, and the whole remainder of the game no ammo for it or vice versa. Or when you can't seem to find a vest and helmet throughout the game.

I only really played solo, and played enough to get that chicken dinner a few times. Fix the performance (the game really should be running at twice the FPS that it does for what it is) and make it so that half the games don't feel like all you are doing is sprinting to the circle only to end up dead because you have no gear.

Fortnite did a great job of letting everyone feel like they can actually do something. Weapons are relatively easy to come by and you aren't as worried about 50 different types of ammo and finding just the right ones. And even though there are no 'vehicles', it never feels like you are never going to make it back into the circle unless you jumped on the very edge of the map and didn't bother spending any time trying to get into the circle in the first place. What I didn't like about Fortnite though is the building. Just wasn't something I really care for, plus, I'm pretty garbage at it.

Realm Royale appears to be the new contender. Gave this a quick run through the other day and it almost feels like fortnite minus the building. The game has classes, so balance needs to be fairly spot on if it's going to do well. I only played for about an hour, so still don't know all the mechanics of the game.

I guess back on topic about PUBG, it's the most 'realistic' game, but sometimes, the RNG gods make it just so frustrating to play. I didn't play the game enough to memorize where things spawn which was a huge problem, but I think that things like that kind of ruin the game as a whole. Like I know by watching folks on twitch that cars spawned in certain locations only. Knowing all those spawns certainly makes getting back into the circle much easier, and if you don't, have fun running the whole game.

So ya, while it can be a fun game, PUBG still needed a lot of work (at least the last time I played which was probably over 6 months ago). Looks like there are 3 maps now with a 4th about to be released.. I played when there was only 1 map, so dunno.

I’m confused

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017) was tarred, feathered, quartered and then the pieces were spit upon by gamers in a mile long formation for daring to have gambling/random loot boxes.

Ironic thing was...
You didn’t have to buy the loot boxes in Battlefront 2...

Now you want games to sell loot boxes?

Which way is it?

I’m confused

Star Wars Battlefront 2017 was tarred, feathered and then quartered and then the pieces spit upon by gamers a mile long in formation for having loot boxes.

You didn’t have to buy the loot boxes...

Plus it was Battlefront, which I thought was not nearly as fun as other EA releases of the era.

Between the two games, Fortnite is clearly better than PUBG, plus it's free. However I will say I don't remember the last time I saw such a blatant ripoff of a game like this. I really think PUBG is going to win at least a few of their lawsuits.

What are the server tick rates? I read somewhere that it was 10, but that doesn't seem right. Considering grabbing it.

I've played lot's of PUBG in SOLO/Squad/DUO FPP/TPP and the netcode, coupled with cheaters is making me take a very long hiatus. Was ranked 180 solo NA.

Last edited by a moderator:
game lost its playerbase due to them ignoring the cheating issue for far to long, ignoring performance issues, to long ignoring stability, and failing to recognize the dynamics of the niche they were filling.

so now they are playing catch up .

to bad they failed to take the player base feed back seriously at let the game devolve into the state it is in today. because they really did have something, for a short while at least . not really a big deal though as some one made a crap ton of money off this game .

unfortunately for them the community has pretty much moved on and its going to be hell recapturing them .

but they should have a nice bank account and maybe they can pull it off again .

I’m confused

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017) was tarred, feathered, quartered and then the pieces were spit upon by gamers in a mile long formation for daring to have gambling/random loot boxes.

Ironic thing was...
You didn’t have to buy the loot boxes in Battlefront 2...

Which way is it?
It's easier to understand if you don't strawman the concerns.

Battlefront offered game impacting loot rewards whereas PUBG offers only cosmetic loot rewards.

One has always been a concern among gamers and the other has always been a welcomed way to earn additional revenue based on player choice.

The game needs more game modes, not just bAtTLe rOyaLe. The game runs poorly because of the excessively large skybox. Reduce the skybox and instead of flying in players, just teleport the players or have them wake up in random areas.

just kidding, it needs a new engine

The game needs more game modes, not just bAtTLe rOyaLe. The game runs poorly because of the excessively large skybox. Reduce the skybox and instead of flying in players, just teleport the players or have them wake up in random areas.

just kidding, it needs a new engine
Adding rng to the spawn locations would put you at quite the disadvantage if you get stuck in a weird spot across the map from the zone. At least with the plane if you are really far its because of where you chose to jump

I don’t see this on my 1060 or 980 Ti systems at all. My 1080 Ti system pretty much constantly hits the 144 FPS limit in the game.

PUBG hurt itself by not listening to players and allowing the cheating to go on for far too long. There are also a lot of dumb issues in the game - for example, if you’re hiding in tall grass, anyone over 100-200 yards from you will see you since the grass doesn’t render that far. Finally, Brendan Greene is a douchebag.

Fortnite can keep piling up the players all they want, but I won’t be one. The game looks like garbage and the play doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Back