• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PSU Upgrade

CrazyMrB

Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
522
I decided to upgrade the video card and psu in my Dell Studio 540. I ordered an Antec TruPower New 650W. I received the first, and the fans all started spinning, but the computer would not post. I tested the new video card with the old psu, and everything booted. I figured that it was just a bum psu, so I rma'ed it. I just got the second and the same thing is happening. Is this a problem with the psu, or does dell use a nonstandard psu?
 
Are you sure that you hooked up the PSU correctly? CPU power connector, 24Pin connector, etc. Oh and make sure that the PSU switch is on. Oh and Dell uses standard PSU designs nowadays.
 
It must have just been two bad Antecs in a row. The 24 pin is plugged in and so is the 4 pin (along with the pci-e). The fans all spin, but the pc won't post. There are no beep codes coming out.
 
Do you have another system you can test the PSU in to confirm whether or not it works?
 
Well, the two possibilities are that the PSU is dead, or that there is some sort of compatibility issue between it and the motherboard. Without testing the PSU in another PC, there's no way to know which one it is.
 
Back
Top