• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PSU Recommendation Please.

xvioz

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
127
So I added a fourth hard drive to my makeshift media center and it was fine for a couple days. Today the PC started randomly freezing and the only thing I changed was adding the hard drive. OK, unplug it from the PSU and now everything is fine. It's a cheap PSU that came with the case so it doesn't really surprise me that power would be an issue, I knew it was coming sometime.

My goal is to have a media center/server type deal where the case will be a Lian Li PC-V2000BPLUSII (or another large case) which has 12x3.5 spaces so ideally I'm looking for a PSU that'll be able to handle 12 hard drives, 1 optical drive, and the s939 setup in my signature (with the addition of a couple PCI cards for extra SATA ports).

Would a Corsair 620HX handle that fine? Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks!
 
For that many HDs your gonna want a pretty powerful 12v rail. That psu carries 18amps and each one of those HDs may take up to 3 amps. Your gonna want more HD power.
 
If I drop the hard drives to 8 (which would actually bring the cost of a case down, and it's more than enough storage for me) would a Corsair 750TX work? Says +12V = 60A max load so that should be more than enough right (if I do the math you posted above)? Another thread says each drive can take up to 25w on startup so that 750w should work fine? Or would a 650TX work too?

As you can tell I don't know jack about this PSU business hah, it's sort of guesswork for me.

Thanks.
 
If I drop the hard drives to 8 (which would actually bring the cost of a case down, and it's more than enough storage for me) would a Corsair 750TX work? Says +12V = 60A max load so that should be more than enough right (if I do the math you posted above)? Another thread says each drive can take up to 25w on startup so that 750w should work fine? Or would a 650TX work too?

As you can tell I don't know jack about this PSU business hah, it's sort of guesswork for me.

Thanks.

A 650TX or 750TX would work with 8 drive setup. However, I highly recommend getting the 750TX since it's around $100 right now and should be able to power 12 drives as well:
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $105

Best replace the PSU right away. Once had an Apevia PSU kill 6 of my hard drives before I finally replaced it.
 
Yikes. I've got all my data backed up on DVDs but that would still blow.

Thanks for the info, will go with the 750!
 
Back
Top