PSU nuked GPU

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Never buy a EVGA backstock PSUs I just got off a hour long chat with a guy on Steam who I couldn't help because he switched out his PSU due to the fan noise it was making. When he boots up the GPU fans are at full throttle and windows doesn't load.

I tried talking him though ever dirty trick I knew like using one memory stick and some other stuff like checking and unpluggin the connections.

So he used his old PSU which worked at the time and that one doesn't work with his current system.

So basically he's out of luck unless there is something out there besides buying a entire machine or replacing the parts he has.

So let get this straight. Someone you don’t know did something to his PC that requires a certain level of skill and attention to detail that you can’t be sure he has, and then you spend an hour on the phone with him to have him do more things that require additional skills you don’t know he has ending with ultimately reversing the task and taking him at his word he did it all right. But it’s eVGA’s fault nothing is working now?

Are they both modular? If so maybe he made the mistake of not swapping all the cables out. Easy to blow something up doing that.

I just messaged him in Steam chat I had that problem happen with memory but never with a PSU.
Yeah it could be anything

Are they both modular? If so maybe he made the mistake of not swapping all the cables out. Easy to blow something up doing that.

This is a good point. My EVGA and corsair cables will fit into each other's PSUs just fine, but they aren't wired the same at all.

Also, does he have the 8pin cpu plug put in? Is he using a cpu 8 pin vs a PCIe 8 pin (cannot remember if they are similar enough to put one in the other).

This is a good point. My EVGA and corsair cables will fit into each other's PSUs just fine, but they aren't wired the same at all.

Also, does he have the 8pin cpu plug put in? Is he using a cpu 8 pin vs a PCIe 8 pin (cannot remember if they are similar enough to put one in the other).
They're keyed differently. If he got it to fit, he tried really hard to do it.

They're keyed differently. If he got it to fit, he tried really hard to do it.

I couldn't remember. My DC rigs aren't local to me, so I can't check. I was pretty sure when I purchased more cpu 8 pin modualar cables from corsair that they were usable in PCIe or cpu. But it's been years, so I'm likely just remembering wrong.

I couldn't remember. My DC rigs aren't local to me, so I can't check. I was pretty sure when I purchased more cpu 8 pin modualar cables from corsair that they were usable in PCIe or cpu. But it's been years, so I'm likely just remembering wrong.
Oh you mean on the PSU end... that depends on the particular PSU I guess.

would think in this day an age the cables would be standardized so that couldn't happen.(it be nice anyway)..but yes i would agree someone likely got the cables mixed up cause evga sometimes uses the flat/ribbon style and or the bundled wire type

Oh you mean on the PSU end... that depends on the particular PSU I guess.

That jogs my memory, thank you. The ports on my corsair psu (on the psu side) are interchangeable between PCIe and cpu. This still wouldn't affect the user though, as I was thinking it was the other end, the mb side.

Back