PSU needed for GTX460 SLI setup

dj_2004

Supreme [H]ardness
I just won two GTX460s, thanks to [H], and now I'm likely going to need to upgrade my Corsair 520w PSU.

Here is what my PC will be once the cards arrive:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7Mhz
Motherboard: EVGA 680i
RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix
Video: GTX460 SLI
Five hard drives

I am on a budget and will likely not be upgrading from the GTX460s for a few years, but I will probably be upgrading my CPU/motherboard/RAM within a year.

Would the Antec Truepower New TP-750 be the best choice? Looks to be $80 (+ tax) after MIR.

The Truepower New 750 is a good choice.

Thank you for the reply.

How do you feel about the ST65ZF for $30 shipped (used)? In the past you stated the Corsair 550w was comparable in terms of amps provided on the 12v, so I imagine you would not recommend it for my configuration.

Thank you for the reply.

How do you feel about the ST65ZF for $30 shipped (used)? In the past you stated the Corsair 550w was comparable in terms of amps provided on the 12v, so I imagine you would not recommend it for my configuration.

I wouldn't get it as it's actually older than your current Corsair 520HX.

However to be honest, with your current setup + GTX 460 SLI, you'll be fine with a Corsair 520HX. It's only with a newer CPU + mobo setup that I would recommend upgrading the PSU to the Antec.

Using the Antec Power Supply Calculator http://www.antec.outervision.com/ I took a few guesses and put the settings for full load and was given a result of 847w. I'm also noticing that you're only running an E8400 and would imagine that you might want to upgrade that one day. If you're going to be buying a power supply, you might want to consider giving yourself ample room for upgrading the other components. I'm not saying go to a 1200w, but maybe a Seasonic X-series 850w or a Kingwin Lazer 1kw.

I wouldn't get it as it's actually older than your current Corsair 520HX.

However to be honest, with your current setup + GTX 460 SLI, you'll be fine with a Corsair 520HX. It's only with a newer CPU + mobo setup that I would recommend upgrading the PSU to the Antec.

In that case, I will try out the configuration on my 520HX, and when I do upgrade my CPU/etc. I can buy a better PSU than I could today. I just figured my 520HX wouldn't be able to handle things. The CPU upgrade is still months away as the games I play are more aimed towards the video card than the CPU.

Using the Antec Power Supply Calculator http://www.antec.outervision.com/ I took a few guesses and put the settings for full load and was given a result of 847w. I'm also noticing that you're only running an E8400 and would imagine that you might want to upgrade that one day. If you're going to be buying a power supply, you might want to consider giving yourself ample room for upgrading the other components. I'm not saying go to a 1200w, but maybe a Seasonic X-series 850w or a Kingwin Lazer 1kw.

Yeah, when the time comes, it might be best to spend a little more and receive some more wattage than to hold back.

Thanks for the help.

thats a pretty good calculator, i like it, there's some margins of course, but all in all thats pretty good

i see my Antec Earthwatts EA500-D is going to be near it's upper limits (with everythign in the system at 100% which rarely happens) once i get my new build together tomorrow, will have to keep an eye on it

Another question:
Would a 520HX be able to handle my same setup but with GTX275 in SLI? I ask as my current GTX275 will be moving to an almost identical PC and I want to know if I will need to upgrade the PSU. I think Anandtech measured an i7 PC with GTX285 in SLI weighing in at 710w at load.

The HX520 is probably enough for that as well, although it would be pushing it a little.

Back