PSU got dominated

Shambler

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
6,419
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1420797

So: Had a Corsair 450W, nothing impressive, got the job done.
Looking to replace that duder with a modular PSU.
I don't think I need anything over 500. I've seen a few Mushkin and OCZ 400-500 W mod power supplies for around 50-80 bones. These good options on the cheap?

Machine:
E2160 (OC'd to 3)
2 Raptor 150's
1 30gig IDE
1 IDE DVDRom
1 ATI 4850
1 Dead PSU
 
Weird I have genmay access and I can't follow your link.......

Anyway, Mushkin units in that range are Topower and the OCZ are Sirfa.
 
a mediocre thing....the quality likely won't be as high as the Corsair you had
 
Weird I have genmay access and I can't follow your link.......

Ouch. I have Genmay access and was able to see that thread just fine. Had to login again though. Weird.

HOOfan_1 is right: The PSUs you mentioned aren't as good as the 450VX you had. These are the cheapest modular PSUs I'd recommend:
$100 - BFG MX-550 550W Modular PSU
$110 - Corsair 520HX 520W Modular PSU
$118 - BFG Tech MX 680 680W Modular PSU
 
Thanks for the list.

I will probably grab the 520HX. From the specs it looks like it has 3 12v rails at 18A per. The BFG has a single 12v at 20A. Or did I read that wrong?
Assuming the Corsair is a better buy, especially considering that MIR.
 
Thanks for the list.

I will probably grab the 520HX. From the specs it looks like it has 3 12v rails at 18A per. The BFG has a single 12v at 20A. Or did I read that wrong?
Assuming the Corsair is a better buy, especially considering that MIR.

You read it all wrong: That BFG has a total of 41A on the +12V rail. The Corsair 520HX has a total of 40A on the +12V rail.

Oh and the number of rails do not matter that much. Here's a FAQ on it:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990
 
Thanks for the link

Queue G.I. Joe "And knowing is half the battle"

Sounds good. I think I will stick with Corsair. Assuming that it will be quieter due to having 1 less fan than the BFG 550w listed.
 
So I snagged a Power Supply last night. You guys will probably give me crap for it but... here goes
I picked this one for the price, and free ship.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016


/cringes, waits for flame
Not a terrible choice actually, although you could have picked something better. In any case, the Sirtec-built ModXStream line is considerably better than OCZ's older FSP Epsilon-based units in that wattage range.
 
Back
Top