PSU for new i5 build

IndieSnob

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
234
I am in the process of building a new i5 rig and was hoping to get some input on a PSU for it. I am going to assume that the Antec Earthwatts 430 that I currently have won't be enough for the i5 build, or would it?

Here is what the build will be:

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R
i5-750
2x2 DDR3
Palit 9600GT Video
4 SATA harddrives
1 SATA dvd burner

I'm not an overclocker so am not worried about that. At some point I may upgrade to an ATI video card, but am not enough of an enthusiast to worry about going Crossfire or SLI.

I'd love to splurge on a nice expensive PSU, but at the same time funds are very limited right now.

I've been trying to see whether my Earthwatts 430 would work for this build, and if not then I was wondering what PSU I should go for. Based on prior experience I'd like to stay with Antec or Corsair, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.
 
Well, people smarter than me normally recommend a bit of breathing room when it comes to a power supply. And you might be on the cusp of your power privileges. I am not familiar with that video card, but if it is not too power hungry, I would imagine your PSU could drive your system fairly well.

It seems like overachieving PSU's are the order of the day these days . . . my own PSU is overkill, too. I guess it's better to be safe, eh?
 
I am in the process of building a new i5 rig and was hoping to get some input on a PSU for it. I am going to assume that the Antec Earthwatts 430 that I currently have won't be enough for the i5 build, or would it?

Here is what the build will be:

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R
i5-750
2x2 DDR3
Palit 9600GT Video
4 SATA harddrives
1 SATA dvd burner

I'm not an overclocker so am not worried about that. At some point I may upgrade to an ATI video card, but am not enough of an enthusiast to worry about going Crossfire or SLI.

I'd love to splurge on a nice expensive PSU, but at the same time funds are very limited right now.

I've been trying to see whether my Earthwatts 430 would work for this build, and if not then I was wondering what PSU I should go for. Based on prior experience I'd like to stay with Antec or Corsair, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Your Earthwatts 430 should be OK, with room to spare.
 
I'm not sure what version of the 9600GT I have in regards to the NM manufacturing, and the system is taken apart now so I can't fire up GPUZ to tell unfortunately.

I thought *maybe* I'd OK with the Earthwatts I have right now and I don't know how soon I'd pick up an ATI 5770. I just want to try to be as sure as possible that if I am going to do a new build that I have enough room for power and don't sacrifice any expensive components.

Thanks for the input everyone!
 
Again I'm pretty sure the Earthwatts 430 will be OK. Heck I would have no qualms about putting your rig (or a mATX version of it) in a NSK3480, which has a Earthwatts 380.
 
I'm sure you will be just fine. I am running a core2duo, 4gb ram, 640gb hdd, 8800gt, cd rom, etc on a 250watt psu, bear in mind its a very quality psu, but enermax good stuff as well. you will be fine.
 
It seems like overachieving PSU's are the order of the day these days . . . my own PSU is overkill, too. I guess it's better to be safe, eh?

It should also be mentioned that PSUs are most efficient and coolest when running at 40-60% of their total watt capacity.
 
If you don't OC and you only have a 9600GT and not an unusual number of drives, yeah the 430 should be enough.
 
Back
Top