PSU For CFX 5830 Extremes

bastage

Pics of your wife?
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
12,874
So I have a silverstone strider 600.. Well I just sold my 6850 & got a pair of Sapphire 5830 Extremes.. Gaming the system dies & reboots.. I am fairly certain its the PSU as nothing is overheating.

So what do I need to run these cards with a little headroom.

Rest of the system consists of a Phenom II x4 955be currently at stock speeds (normally overclocked though). a c300 SSD & 8gb of ram..
 
Last edited:
You sure neither of those HD 5830's are defective?
 
I Doubt it.. I Suppose its possible, but they came from a good seller here & if they had been having a problem before I believe he would have RMA'd before selling.
 
I asked because your current PSU should be enough for that setup. Try testing each card individually with the other card removed from the PC.

But on the off-chance that your PSU is not enough or is defective, I recommend this PSU:
$105 - Corsair 750TX V2 750W PSU
 
Yea I will have to test em individually tomorrow.. Honestly though I checked previously & this PSU would have been pushing it for CFX for my 6850 I had before if I added another one. I know the 5830's suck alot more juice then that. So I kinda already had this in the back of my head when I got them.
 
Yea I will have to test em individually tomorrow.. Honestly though I checked previously & this PSU would have been pushing it for CFX for my 6850 I had before if I added another one. I know the 5830's suck alot more juice then that. So I kinda already had this in the back of my head when I got them.

That is incorrect.. 6850 CFX would run off a solid 450W unit nvm 650W ;)

On topic, the problem is indeed the PSU, and not because it lacks in output, but because of the rail setup and OCP implementation... this is a first generation Strider unit, I can't remember if it's Impervio or Enhance(I think it's Impervio), either way it was very well built and it's a quality unit.. at the same time, it was one of those units which gave multi-rail power supplies a bad reputation, the first iteration of this unit(the one you have) had a moronic rail setup. it has four 12v rails with the highest one @ 18A and the lowest one at 8A(!)..

To make it short.. I don't have a manual for that PSU and I don't feel like digging the net for one atm, you can try and play with the connectors maybe you get a configuration which manages to supply enough amps without hitting the OCP on either rails, or you can just buy a new PSU.. I suggest you buy a new one, this unit is already 5/6 years old.. keep it for a secondary rig or w/e(don't throw it, it's a quality one despite its shortcomings).
 
this is a first generation Strider unit, I can't remember if it's Impervio or Enhance(I think it's Impervio), either way it was very well built and it's a quality unit..

Oops.. I Linked the wrong strider 600.. Mine is a little over a year old & I remember when I got it the differences between the 1st & 2nd gen were discussed.
 
Well, now you linked the Strider Plus 600:).. either way, Strider or Strider Plus 600 they're both quality Enhnace units.. the 5830s are <150W cards, so you're not overloading the PSU, it's either a defective VGA or the PSU is defective, in which case you should RMA.
Do you get the same result under Furmark+Prime95?
 
I would venture to say this has nothing to do with your PSU.

seems like it now as well.. Though hadn't had a restart like that in the last year that I have had the rest of the system before adding the more power hungry video cards
 
Back
Top