PSU enough for 5970+5870?

that psu is ok I guess, however it won't have a hope in hell of handling a 5970 and a 5870....dreamin
 
That PSU wouldn't be good enough for a single HD 5870 let alone the setup you planned. Too low quality.

Some math:
356W - HD 5970
235W - HD 5870
317W - Core i7 930 OC to 4.2Ghz
----
908W at full CPU and GPU load.

Add another 100W for the extra two hard drives and the higher OC. So in other words, you'll need a minimum of a 1000W PSU with at least 80A on the +12V rail.

Power consumption figures:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/power-consumption-overclocking_11.html#sect0
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-power-consumption-2010_3.html#sect0
 
yeah forgot about how power hungry the i7 is at that speed. However there simply isn't real performance difference between an i7 @ 3.8ghz compared with 4.4ghz whilst gaming.
 
I would recommend that you don't just buy 1k Watt PSU. Its always smart to go a bit above what you require just incase.

Normally I wouldn't suggest a multi-rail PSU but for 259 after MIR its a great brand and I would suggest you get this :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194046 best one for the price however if you could afford the PC power and cooling version it is better but almost double the cost.

Has a total of 180A across 6 +12V rails.
 
Normally I wouldn't suggest a multi-rail PSU but for 259 after MIR its a great brand and I would suggest you get this :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194046 best one for the price however if you could afford the PC power and cooling version it is better but almost double the cost.

Has a total of 180A across 6 +12V rails.

Umm, no PSU in the world has 180A on the +12V rail. That would mean that 1250W PSU can provide 2,160W of power ;) You don't add up the rails like that.

That 1250W PSU has 104A on the +12V rail.
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007&Tpk=corsair psu
here you go, this HX100 Corsair will offer plenty for what your looking for, it's better than that above 1200w one, and ALOT cheaper aswell.

The Corsair isn't better than the above Enermax. Also like I said, the minimum was a 1000W PSU. it would be a good idea to go for a higher wattage/amperage PSU. If the OP can afford a HD 5970 and a HD 5870, he can afford the extra cash for a higher wattage/amperage/quality PSU.
 
That PSU wouldn't be good enough for a single HD 5870 let alone the setup you planned. Too low quality.

Some math:
356W - HD 5970
235W - HD 5870
317W - Core i7 930 OC to 4.2Ghz
----
908W at full CPU and GPU load.

Add another 100W for the extra two hard drives and the higher OC. So in other words, you'll need a minimum of a 1000W PSU with at least 80A on the +12V rail.

Power consumption figures:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/power-consumption-overclocking_11.html#sect0
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-power-consumption-2010_3.html#sect0

Great, good to know, just the answer I was looking for. Yea in regards to you guy's recommendations on PSU they are all great PSUs but I am limited to 6.3" in length because I am using a MATX case (Da Box). So I am thinking about going for the Silverstone Strider Plus 1000w.
 
That PSU wouldn't be good enough for a single HD 5870 let alone the setup you planned. Too low quality.

Some math:
356W - HD 5970
235W - HD 5870
317W - Core i7 930 OC to 4.2Ghz
----
908W at full CPU and GPU load.

Add another 100W for the extra two hard drives and the higher OC. So in other words, you'll need a minimum of a 1000W PSU with at least 80A on the +12V rail.

Power consumption figures:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/power-consumption-overclocking_11.html#sect0
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-power-consumption-2010_3.html#sect0

This is good advice, but on the high side b/c (CPU one at least) is whole system power consumption which probably is from a Killawatt, so a Core i7 isn't going to draw that much on its own.

The Videocard one is definitely pretty close though because of the current meter they used to measure.
 
it's a much better brand, and costs $80 less. The only other PSU's I'd go for would be the Gigabyte Odin 1200W, or at the very highest level (THE best) Silverstone ST1500
 
it's a much better brand, and costs $80 less. The only other PSU's I'd go for would be the Gigabyte Odin 1200W, or at the very highest level (THE best) Silverstone ST1500

They are both excellent brands , I've had 2 Enermax PSUs and they worked flawlessly (currently I'm using a Corsair 750 ). And with the MIR The Corsair is about 50 dollars less but its worth the extra head room in a such a powerful computer.
 
sorry missed that huge mail in rebate...still I'd find it hard picking a galaxy psu over a corsair HX
 
Yea I saw that but saw system power consumption and didn't see it mentioned in the CPU article, thanks for the correct Danny (AKA God of PSUs) :p

LOL! Definitely not that. I can think of a few other people here on the forums that deserves that title :)
 
No. Definitely not enough. You can believe me. :) You need a minimum of 1000 watts PSU.. or more...

I have a 5970 + 5870 (Tri-Crossfire) and I draw 900-925 watts from the wall socket while running Furmark. :) Measured directly at the wall socket.
 
Check the for sale fourm, somebody has a nice 9.5/10 Johhny Guru recomended 1200W silverstone psu for a low 160$.
 
Get this man, pretty damn powerful psu with mostly modular cables, and BFG a solid brand, lifetime warranty. 150-30mir-19bingcashback=100bucks=hotdeal

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#tabs

Looks good except at 6.5" it won't fit into my case without me changing up one of my fans. It also isn't fully modular compared to the Strider, a pet peeve I know but still slightly annoying. Also the reviews aren't really that great...
 
No. Definitely not enough. You can believe me. :) You need a minimum of 1000 watts PSU.. or more...

I have a 5970 + 5870 (Tri-Crossfire) and I draw 900-925 watts from the wall socket while running Furmark. :) Measured directly at the wall socket.

....And that's why it is bad information.

The wall socket pulls 20% more power than the systemn uses.

A 1000W PSU pulls about 1200W fromt he wall at full load.

A 100W GPU pulls about 120W from wall at full load
 
No. Definitely not enough. You can believe me. :) You need a minimum of 1000 watts PSU.. or more...

I have a 5970 + 5870 (Tri-Crossfire) and I draw 900-925 watts from the wall socket while running Furmark. :) Measured directly at the wall socket.

Measured with what? The cheap KAWs are known to be inaccurate with active PFC PSUs (so any decent PSU manufactured within the last few years). Also, you didn't mention taking into account CPU load - for a proper test you'd need to be running Linpack on the CPU along with Furmark on all the GPUs.
 
Measured with what? The cheap KAWs are known to be inaccurate with active PFC PSUs (so any decent PSU manufactured within the last few years). Also, you didn't mention taking into account CPU load - for a proper test you'd need to be running Linpack on the CPU along with Furmark on all the GPUs.

ANd he forgot that the wall outputs 20% more than the PSU puts into the system.

SO he can muliply his 900 by .8 and come back here.
 
IIRC, 5870 itself is rarely above 180W, a 5970 is around 250 ish IIRC..

you should hold it just fine beside you need to lower the i7 down a bit, that thing as others have said its a power hungry card...
 
For the price of 100 bucks on the bfg I can live with the reviews. the reviews weren't the best on it, but they weren't bad either. It is not the best, and it is not bad. It is a decent power supply. I am sure when it comes to it your system won't torture the components like some of the review sites do. Plus all the cables that are built in, I will be using regardless, so I really didn't care if it was all modular or not. Ofcourse if I wanted to spend 200-250 I would consider the unit that is worth that price.
 
Hmm I was actually thinking of getting the 1200w version of the BFG...the more I research it the more appealing it is.
 
Last edited:
I read the 1200w review as well, and my local microcenter has it for 170 with 20 dollar rebate. Plus I have a 5% discount coupon. They didn't have any when I ordered the 1000 watt from tigerdirect. I get the unit today, and I already processed an RMA number I am just going to send the unit back. The reason is the I wont be home so I can't refuse shipment, I will spend 10 bucks out of my pocket to send it back.
 
ROFL.

In this thread OP first wants to use a woefully inadequate PSU on $1100 worth of graphics cards and a massively overclocked CPU, then people try to talk him into saving $100 by getting a poorly reviewed PSU instead of a top class one. What could possibly go wrong?
 
dude psu is plenty good for 100 bucks, please tell me it was not 80% effecient under all conditions, just because it didn't do excellent in 50c or high temp enviorments don't make it a bad psu. If your case temps are 50c ambient then you should seriously consider a better case for your components. To me the effieciency matters more then manufactured test results. There are worst psu's you could by for 100 bucks, just because it the rails fluctuated(but stayed well within specs) under extreme torture load doesn't make it a bad psu, if it didn't meet the standards then I wouldn't even touch it.

My main reason was the price point. ofcourse if you wanna spend 200-250 there are obviously better choices out there.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top