PSU Dieing?

Ashton

2[H]4U
Ok, I know under normal conditions PSUs don't "slowly die" or "half die" like this (and often outliast the system they're installed in) but this is the most logical solution to me...

The system is the desktop in my sig (i7 quad/16gb ram/7tb HDD/NVidea Card, etc)

Note that the system is set for Dual-Boot between Windows 7 X64 (at the time all the latest updates installed) and Mint Linux X64 Maya (yes, it's an old build but untill now I rarely used it so I didn't bother with keeping it upto date --- as of writing all available updates have been applied to the Maya Release (but not full upgrade to newest build)

Symptom:
Screens go black, system powers off. No error messages. System must be UNPLUGGED FROM AC for up to several minutes or else it wont power on.

Triggers I've seen so far:

(Windows):
(1st time) Downloaded and played a game (SW:TFU --- pls not jokes about my game choice) for 6 hours straight, Full-screen, max settings. Was in the middle of the game and everything went back. Was able to power back on immediately (dont remember if the computer had to be unplugged --- at the time I didn't think anything odd about this so I didn't pay a lot of attention)

(2nd time, weeks later) Watching youtube video and in the middle of playback screen went black. Powered back up immediatly after unplug/replug

(3rd time, days after 2nd) Watching youtube again (after updating Abode Flash) with a video looping using listenonrepeat, and ~3rd time looping the system went black. had to be unplugged for some time before it woudl power back on

(4th time, again days after prior) was watching a video (full screen) using PLEX (local playback - not streamed) about halfway through it went black, took several minutes off AC to power back on

(5th time, SAME DAY) Was in chrome and clicked a navitation button (I think reload but might be back) and system powered off, as per usual by now, several minutes off AC before it would power back on when plugged in again.

(Linux):
Ran for ~2 weeks without issue, including playing MULTIPLE youtube videos at once including looping for hours on end. Decided to play Minecraft - downloaded the minecraft JAR, executed it, logged in, chose which version to install, clicked "play", Install began, and again black screen. Several minutes to reboot after pulling AC.

Oddities:
My first thought was that the system was overheating, so I added 2x case fans. Did no good.

Accidentally touched Graphics Card during fan removal (moments after crash) and graphics card was barely warm.

Carefully touched PSU (outside seemed oddly warm) and the underside was painfully hot.

Windows crashes in minutes, Linux seems to last indefinitely under low-medium resource load. (have not tried running a major game except the failed MC install to test this yet due to time)

So, while I know that, with this being a computer it *could* be anything from faulty RAM to a virus, the fact it dies *instantly* with no error messages, does it sound like PSU? (I know linux is FAR superior in dealing with failing/faulty hardware, but would it be able to handle power regulation like this?) Does it sound like the PSU? (If not what else should I check? --- I dont have a spare PSU that fits this Mobo and PSU does not fit other desktop)

And if it (probably) is the PSU, any suggestions for a good replacement? (preferably low-cost, since I'm looking at upgrading my tablet soon but I'm willing to spend more if it means a drastically higher-quality PSU)

It would be helpful if you told us the make and model number of the PSU in question.

Are you sure the fan in your PSU is running? If its getting that hot it may be overheating and shutting itself off.

Ok, so situation is worse now. I booted up, and when I launched chrome it killed the system... finally just gave up and plugged my monitor and KB into my laptop for now...

It would be helpful if you told us the make and model number of the PSU in question.

Oh it's a nice one... -_-

the red sticker says "Chiefmax" there's no model mumber. it's a 750W

Are you sure the fan in your PSU is running? If its getting that hot it may be overheating and shutting itself off.

I tested this and found out that, in fact, no, it was not running. I tried to remedy this by placing a case fan of the same size atop the drive (looks like it uses a off the shelf 12mm casefan) and temporarily hooked it on. Upon powerup, the fan turned on and started sucking air across the PSU's heatsync, so I assumed this would at the least not make things worse... but, as I said, I couldn't even launch chrome now without killing the system...

I also heard what sounded like the sizzling of electricty while it was running, making me think the problem may be worse than just a bad fan...

So, any suggestions for a good 750W (or higher) PSU for <$100? (would prefer <$50 but I also know you get what you pay for)

So, any suggestions for a good 750W (or higher) PSU for <$100? (would prefer <$50 but I also know you get what you pay for)

You don't really need a 750W PSU. You would be fine with a solid 550W PSU. With that said, this deal for a fantastic 750W PSU is hard to pass up:
$110 - eVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 750W Modular PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

eww... that's... yeah... in retrospect it's a blessing this thing died on me. I had bought it "free" on ebay (bought a laptop, and got a lot of eBay cash so I got this thing for my Antminer (which mysteriously died --- turned out the power was going all into one blade so one got overpwoered while one got underpowered, killed it after like 0.05 bitcoins) so I threw it in my desktop when I upgraded...

You don't really need a 750W PSU. You would be fine with a solid 550W PSU. With that said, this deal for a fantastic 750W PSU is hard to pass up:
$110 - eVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 750W Modular PSU

Meh, I keep thinking "oh this is enough, no need to spend the extra $$$" and then later add something to the PC that needs more power (like when graphics cards started needing seperate lines, or I was adding more HDDs) so I have started buying more-than-I-need when possible.

On the other paw, I would usually balk at spending $110 on a PSU, but it is a good brand and wont bite me in the ass later like this (I think $40) PSU did... more than I wanted to spend right now, but then that's what creditcards are for I guess... thanks for the heads-up!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, you're extremely lucky that shitty PSU lasted as long as it did.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=71

Ashton did reading this link scare the shit out of you?:DWell least you got pretty lucky not burning up your entire system and learning the hard way. I already knew about this but found that link very educational still.....Sometimes its hard to imagine the complete junk they put inside those things..lol half of them went up in flames at less then half the advertised rating...good reading

Chiefmax, Bestec, Leadman, Diablotek, and the ever present Deer....those usually let go, and let you know they let go either by sound, smell or occasionally visually (sparks/smoke). Some PSUs slowly degrade. This is one reason I got myself a good scope so I can look at voltage fluctuations. I have caught a couple this year where the PSUs were out of spec on the 12V rail. Just enough to cause stability problems.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=71

Ashton did reading this link scare the shit out of you?:DWell least you got pretty lucky not burning up your entire system and learning the hard way. I already knew about this but found that link very educational still.....Sometimes its hard to imagine the complete junk they put inside those things..lol half of them went up in flames at less then half the advertised rating...good reading

Yeah, looking at the guts just shocked me. I read a similar artcle a while back about Cell Phone Chargers (the tiny "fake apple chargers") and it seems whatever idiot engineer designed those has scaled up! :rolleyes:

I ended up getting the EVGA linked above @ amazon... still waiting for them to ship... (although it says "Will Arrive on time!" so...)

Back