PSU Advice Needed

Scratch99

n00b
Presently building a new/old machine to run 2002 era games.
The motherboard is a new (old Stock) Asus P5K which will be receiving a LGA Core 2 Duo.
The vid card will be 512 meg ram. (possibly sly) Not yet purchased.
I'll be running 2 gig of ram.
Really unsure about which power supply to power this.
Your help in choosing the right power supply for my venture is most appreciated.
Scratch...

Really don't need anything special. A 400W PSU would be fine.
Many thanks GiGaBiTe.
Guess I'll refine my search.
I was looking at 500W units of the bronze flavor.
Trying to be careful as I read that power supply and motherboards made some input changes in the early two thousands.
Doen't want to get into trouble by mixing old/new tech.
Never cheaped out on a power supply.
Never had a problem. (fingers crossed)

The only major change was in 2003-2004 when the -5v rail was removed from the ATX spec because nothing used it.

There also was a shift in power delivery on the rails where the 12v rail was made "stronger" since CPUs and devices like video cards increasingly relied on it and less on the 5v rail, which CPUs and devices before that time used more.

A Core 2 Duo is not old enough to be concerned about such things. If you were building a high powered Athlon or early Pentium 4, that'd be a different story because motherboards back then were generally designed around drawing heavy current from the 5v rail, something which modern power supplies have trouble with.

C2d wasn’t out till 2007/8 from memory.

Anyhow I would be looking at the silverstone platinum 550w

C2d wasn’t out till 2007/8 from memory.

Anyhow I would be looking at the silverstone platinum 550w
Thank you.
I looked at the Silverstone platinum 550w.
Pass... Amazon reviews don't treat it too well.
Travelling on...
Scratch.

I apologize if I missed it, but do you have a specific budget range?

Also you say core 2 duo, would that happen to be an E5200?

Thank you.
I looked at the Silverstone platinum 550w.
Pass... Amazon reviews don't treat it too well.
Travelling on...
Scratch.

I had a look at the amazon reviews, I had a lot of trouble finding them about the 550w specifically, a lot talk about the the higher rated models or other units like the gold units.

I also looked up reviews before I purchased, all of which rated it very well:

https://pcper.com/2016/10/silverstone-strider-platinum-550w-power-supply-review/
"Bottom line, the SilverStone Platinum Series power supply delivered very good performance with excellent efficiency. It deserves serious consideration if you are looking for a smaller output power supply in a compact ATX enclosure with 80 Plus Platinum efficiency certification. "

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10207/the-silverstone-strider-platinum-550w-psu-review
"...if a very high efficiency 550W PSU is needed, then SilverStone’s Strider Platinum sits in an interesting niche and will certainly not disappoint."

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/03/06/silverstone-strider-platinum-st55f-pt-550w-power-supply/
"My concerns about the OEM aside, this turned out to be a little gem of a unit. One I don’t have a problem recommending at all. "

I can only speak specifically about the ST55-PT currently sitting in my home server since the start of this year. Because it's running 24/7, efficiency at low loads is really important to me.

It is silent, it is efficient (tested with a wall meter), it just works.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any Zebronics or Artis PSU 400 W ish would do good.
Your machine would not need more than that.
Bottom line is, get any PSU and your new/old machine will run on it.

Appreciate all the help and advice guys. :)
I finally went with a Corsair 450W SFX 80+ Gold Certified.
Had good luck with Corsair in the past.
I agonized over how much power to give this, but your advice was most helpful.
Thank you.
Scratch...

Yeah, that 450w will work great for what you are building. I have an old nvidia GT220 that's got 1gb of ram if you're looking for an old GPU. I'd have to power it up to make sure it still works, but I have absolutely no use for it. I have an old E6550 with a date of '05 on it that I have no attachment to either (I have a core 2 quad in my box). Come to think about it, I probably have some old DDR2/3 laying around too. If you're anywhere close to 29856 I can probably help you on the build for pretty much pennies. Anyways, good luck with the build either way!

Back