PSA: OneDrive Storage Limit Was Cut to 1TB This Week

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
One great reason for subscribing to Office 365 was the unlimited amount of OneDrive storage that Microsoft gave you, but that perk is now over, as the company has found that some users “abused the policy by using their unlimited storage for unlimited storage.” Those of you who have over 1TB of files will need to move some of your files off your account, lest you want it locked…

…you'll basically have three months to get enough of your files out so that you only have 1TB. This is called "over quota mode", and you'll be able to take any action that results in a reduction in the amount of data stored, but you won't be able to take any action that increases it. After that, if you're still over 1TB, your account will be in a locked state, meaning that you can't access your files at all. This will be for at least six months, and during this time, you'll be able to unlock it once for a period of 30 days, during which you can reduce the amount of data that you have stored.

the company has found that some users “abused the policy by using their unlimited storage for unlimited storage.

bait-and-switch: the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or less expensive goods.

When will the class action regarding "unlimited" start, I want in. Not just OneDrive but wireless, ISPs and anyone else using the term Unlimited to really mean limited. TBH that should be against the law.

seen it coming! and what ever is left on there servers will be deemed there content if its worth stealing.

With them tricking most owners of windows 10 to use one drive by making it default in the update. They now are preparing to cause problems cause they forced most users to put all their docs in it without a legitimate way of turning it off without extreme effort (for a layman computer user) or a complete reinstall.

I noticed problems with it almost immediately and tried to get rid of it on my small laptop. Finally gave up and reinstalled. On my desktop I was able to catch it in time and keep it from happening. OneDrive is obviously a attempt to copy icloud but implemented in the absolute worst way possible.

On my 3rd machine I have a SSD then a large D spindle. I always put all documents/music/etc on D drive. It moved all of those folders under onedrive hiding in a hidden directory on C drive. It would not let me relocate it to D. Another reinstall.

Now after they forced half the dam world into onedrive they are cutting the size? This is going to be a fun show. I need to buy more popcorn.

With them tricking most owners of windows 10 to use one drive by making it default in the update. They now are preparing to cause problems cause they forced most users to put all their docs in it without a legitimate way of turning it off without extreme effort (for a layman computer user) or a complete reinstall.

I noticed problems with it almost immediately and tried to get rid of it on my small laptop. Finally gave up and reinstalled. On my desktop I was able to catch it in time and keep it from happening. OneDrive is obviously a attempt to copy icloud but implemented in the absolute worst way possible.

On my 3rd machine I have a SSD then a large D spindle. I always put all documents/music/etc on D drive. It moved all of those folders under onedrive hiding in a hidden directory on C drive. It would not let me relocate it to D. Another reinstall.

Now after they forced half the dam world into onedrive they are cutting the size? This is going to be a fun show. I need to buy more popcorn.

What? I have been using Windows 10 for a while now, both on my tablet and my desktop, and whenever it asks me if I want to use OneDrive I simply say no. Is that too hard for you?

I can see if somebody was using it as a place for storage of videos and constantly using high amounts of bandwidth.. But if it's being used for archival purposes, I don't get their problem. Archival storage is still getting cheaper at a decent pace.

FFS, don't call it unlimited if it's not unlimited!

Is that so hard?

People call me crazy for not trusting cloud services. Then I read articles like this and I'm so glad that I have taken the time and considerable money to invest in an NAS. I've even considered expanding it and making it accessible to my entire family.

Reactions: Gavv
like this
If you don't use OneDrive you can uncheck 'Show sync provider notifications' under the file explorer options to disable the daily, invasive OneDrive ad banners; or use regedit/group policy:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"ShowSyncProviderNotifications"=dword:00000000

I don't trust cloud services. I've never used OneDrive and I never will.
I've used it for years. It's nice having a local copy of files, a synced copy, and the ability to recover from the cloud recycle bin if you accidentally delete something. Plus adding and removing files from your PC remotely is nice for school work.

One of the reasons I like 10 so much is that they 'fixed' OneDrive. With 7 you installed it separately and it worked great. In 8 you had to sign in to your PC as a Microsoft Account to use it (so I switched to Google Drive). But now with 10 they've went back to allowing you to sign into the app separately so I'm back using it.

People call me crazy for not trusting cloud services. Then I read articles like this and I'm so glad that I have taken the time and considerable money to invest in an NAS. I've even considered expanding it and making it accessible to my entire family.

Cloud services are okay...as a 2nd/3rd backup. The idea of relying on them for your main or only backup is kind of scary though.

Cloud services are okay...as a 2nd/3rd backup. The idea of relying on them for your main or only backup is kind of scary though.

Cloud is OK, O365 for businesses is not an good solution, it is subpar, wait below subpar, it's uptime and performance is worse than their free service and it's very expensive and in effect you have a Exchange 2016 server hosted in a server park outside your control with none of the benefits as it's a hosted service in ONE server park with no real cloud functionality.
You're locked to that server location.
Example: you're a international company with 70K users, you have 16K users in North america, you have 34 K in Europe and the rest in APAC and SA.
You buy the service for with servers in Europe because almost half of your users are there meaning NA,Apac and SA will have a terrible experience.

Great...
They cannot have distributed tenants, That's not Cloud at all... and their Overpriced support services are a nightmare.

Google Gapps services are a true cloud service as an example.

What? I have been using Windows 10 for a while now, both on my tablet and my desktop, and whenever it asks me if I want to use OneDrive I simply say no. Is that too hard for you?

Same here. I don't even see how somebody puts stuff on Onedrive unless they specifically want to. It in no way tries to force you to put stuff there.

I've used it for years. It's nice having a local copy of files, a synced copy, and the ability to recover from the cloud recycle bin if you accidentally delete something. Plus adding and removing files from your PC remotely is nice for school work.

One of the reasons I like 10 so much is that they 'fixed' OneDrive. With 7 you installed it separately and it worked great. In 8 you had to sign in to your PC as a Microsoft Account to use it (so I switched to Google Drive). But now with 10 they've went back to allowing you to sign into the app separately so I'm back using it.

I have my own storage server. I use a dynamic IP DNS service and port forward to access it from anywhere in the world when I need it via SFTP.

Never have to worry about my content, files or personal information hanging out on someone elses server.

I DO back up that NAS to a cloud backup service, but only after I encrypt it with 256bit AES locally, so unencrypted files never leave my network.

only time I ever put anything on OneDrive was by accident the very first time I installed Windows 10...every reformat afterwards I disable OneDrive and make sure nothing is being saved to it

Same here. I don't even see how somebody puts stuff on Onedrive unless they specifically want to. It in no way tries to force you to put stuff there.

You would have to actively save things to it. That's why I don't understand the issue lol

It doesn't automatically put things on it for you, but it does keep loading on boot, and pestering you to use it, even after you have explicitly disabled it, and keep killing it in the taskbar.

It's a bit of an annoyance. Gives you the impression you don't control your own computer, that someone else does. Drives me nuts.

It doesn't automatically put things on it for you, but it does keep loading on boot, and pestering you to use it, even after you have explicitly disabled it, and keep killing it in the taskbar.

It's a bit of an annoyance. Gives you the impression you don't control your own computer, that someone else does. Drives me nuts.

I have seen it on my taskbar, not in the system tray, maybe a dozen times since installing windows 10 about 3 months ago. It is completely random when it decides to show up but just clicking no sends it away for about a week.

Is that REALLY that deal breaking?

You would have to actively save things to it. That's why I don't understand the issue lol

I think Windows 10 automatically saves your files to it by default until you specify to only place it in your Local drive...maybe it's only the first time you install W10 but I remember having to manually change it...plus during a fresh install there is a OneDrive screen that pops up which a lot of people probably click through which enables OneDrive (there's small print on the bottom of the page which lets you save files only to your local drive)

I think Windows 10 automatically saves your files to it by default until you specify to only place it in your Local drive...maybe it's only the first time you install W10 but I remember having to manually change it...plus during a fresh install there is a OneDrive screen that pops up which a lot of people probably click through which enables OneDrive

So Microsoft offers a service, people are too stupid to read and just click next next next and somehow that is a Windows issue? It seems like a generic user issue to me. It is no different than any program install, where you choose what you want to install and uncheck the rest. Even though I click No, I often get a popup, about once a week, asking me to sign into OneDrive. I just click no. This cannot be such a deal breaker that it deserves its own post. It is such a non issue.

Not everyone is an expert, so you can imagine average guy who is not even hardocp member.
I sense big problems in the brewing here, when people's files start to get locked.
Will MS finally go to far? In a way I hope they do, and crash and burn and learn their lesson.

So Microsoft offers a service, people are too stupid to read and just click next next next and somehow that is a Windows issue? It seems like a generic user issue to me. It is no different than any program install, where you choose what you want to install and uncheck the rest. Even though I click No, I often get a popup, about once a week, asking me to sign into OneDrive. I just click no. This cannot be such a deal breaker that it deserves its own post. It is such a non issue.

I think it is fair that if OneDrive bothers you with a popup once a week, you can complain on a forum once a week with a post. There is nothing wrong with that particular frequency.

This was announced all the way back in Nov 2015. I was confused at first why people had brought up a old thread to start bitching again but see it has finally just hit the end of the time that people where given to reduce the amount of stuff saved.

The reason for the change was that some people had over 75TB worth of data in their accounts. This almost points to a business using the service to backup all their servers or people storing questionable files out there as few are going to have 75+ TB of legit data.

they gave plenty of warning and time to move files so I am not fully against the change. Some times you find out unlimited it a bad idea. I would like to see a single person effected by this be the one complaining. Instead everyone here bitching doesn't even use the service.

This was announced all the way back in Nov 2015. I was confused at first why people had brought up a old thread to start bitching again but see it has finally just hit the end of the time that people where given to reduce the amount of stuff saved.

The reason for the change was that some people had over 75TB worth of data in their accounts. This almost points to a business using the service to backup all their servers or people storing questionable files out there as few are going to have 75+ TB of legit data.

they gave plenty of warning and time to move files so I am not fully against the change. Some times you find out unlimited it a bad idea. I would like to see a single person effected by this be the one complaining. Instead everyone here bitching doesn't even use the service.

Yes but of all companies M$ should know if you say unlimited, people will take advantage and use it as unlimited.

Many of us don't use the service due to being untrusting of the provider.

Unlimited should always mean that. You make that point in your second paragraph. Obviously people who had over 75TB were the problem. So unlimited becomes well around 75 TB.

Many of us are ok with services like this as well if they don't do stuff like this. Unlimited should be just that. If they can't live up to the definition of the word they shouldn't be offering it. If you offer if you should expect people to use it.

Again?
Not the first time MS has pulled shit like this. Last time it was the hosted emails for domains (whatever they called it). Then they yanked that and disabled access to the control panel. You only gain access to the control panel if you pay for it. At least with google hosted email, you'd still have access to the entire account.

I will never, ever use MS "cloud" anything. They literally take your data and block your access to the stuff that should be yours - unless you pony up. Shit heads.

The only company, so far, I semi-trust with my data online is SpiderOAK. End-to-end encryption and their unlimited plan is really unlimited. No BS bait-and-switch.

I've never been a fan of cloud services. Not only do I mistrust their ability to root through my stuff and mine it for their own purposes, but I always expect them to start limiting their service and your access to your data (as being demonstrated currently by Microsoft).

Never trust the term "Unlimited". It is never accurate and will always have gotchas down in the fine print.

Last edited:
I've come to really like OneDrive (as well as iCloud, Adobe Creative Cloud, Google Drive, etc). The files are still physically right there on the computer. But in the event of something happening you can recover them. I have had the computer in the garage go out twice (cause it's always the oldest parts I have) and I was able to recover all my car maintenance records and notes without even thinking about it because I rebuild the computer and install Windows and the files just all magically re-appear.

I wouldn't recommend it as a substitute for local storage, and I wouldn't use it if it was a seperate paid item, but I do like the integration these cloud storage systems offer.

Also, outside of media (movies, large music and photo libraries), 1TB is more then enough to back up documents on your computer. But if they called it unlimited, I do agree it should be unlimited.

Count me in with the people who think any company calling a service "unlimited" and then setting limits should be penalized. Especially if people are paying for said service.

That said, Also count me in the group who doesn't trust and or use cloud services.

Certainly understand and agree about the "unlimited" comments... That said...1TB limit!!!!! I would say that is a fair limit when correcting their marketing mistake. If it was 100GB or something then yeah totally can see a bait and switch argument, but at 1TB it seems like they honestly want to give most people "basically unlimited" storage while cutting down on the "I will store my whole bluray rip collection people".

Personally I sorta like Onedrive, I think they could have made syncing your profile a simple affair, now you have to redirect libraries and such. I would rather have had a "sync my profie" to ondrive option, just seems like it fits the whole MS account back up thing better.

Certainly understand and agree about the "unlimited" comments... That said...1TB limit!!!!! I would say that is a fair limit when correcting their marketing mistake. If it was 100GB or something then yeah totally can see a bait and switch argument, but at 1TB it seems like they honestly want to give most people "basically unlimited" storage while cutting down on the "I will store my whole bluray rip collection people".

Personally I sorta like Onedrive, I think they could have made syncing your profile a simple affair, now you have to redirect libraries and such. I would rather have had a "sync my profie" to ondrive option, just seems like it fits the whole MS account back up thing better.

Then they shouldn't have said OMG UNLIMITED!!! They should have straight up said 1TB for all. They'd have a lot less flack in that regard :)

Back