PS4 Piracy Now Exists

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Regular firmware updates and improved security have rendered console jailbreaking a cat-and-mouse game with continually moving targets, but one group has managed to hack the system to play pirated games. While the process is not straightforward, a flurry of PS4 games, including GTA V and Far Cry 4, has hit the web to confirm this “landmark” moment.

...a potential pirate will need to jump through a number of hoops to enjoy any of these titles or others that may appear in the near future. KOTF explains as much in the NFO (information) files it includes with its releases. The list of requirements is long. First up, a gamer needs to possess a PS4 with an extremely old firmware version – v1.76 – which was released way back in August 2014. The fact this firmware is required doesn’t come as a surprise since it was successfully jailbroken back in December 2015.

Many good Ps4 games are released on PC nowadays so for MYSELF not owning a ps4 hasn't been gutwrenching, especially with squaresoft starting to port their lineups to pc with reasonable support. (ffxv will obviously have some serious meat on its bones after Nvidia is done (killing fps) with it.)

Give me a ps4 emulator on my pc that doesn't require technology from the matrix to run and I'll be happy to support the dev.

I wouldn't buy a old ps4 to play pirated games since online play is so important these days I don't see how I would find enough offline exclusives to tip it in my favor. However I know a lot of people that may not have supercomputers that will certainly welcome the chance to run pirated games regardless. It's really devastating for the consoles life when the ability to pirate new content on current hardware starts. If this ends up happening there are sure to be strategic changes to the console to prevent future exploitation.

Many good Ps4 games are released on PC nowadays so for MYSELF not owning a ps4 hasn't been gutwrenching, especially with squaresoft starting to port their lineups to pc with reasonable support. (ffxv will obviously have some serious meat on its bones after Nvidia is done (killing fps) with it.)

Give me a ps4 emulator on my pc that doesn't require technology from the matrix to run and I'll be happy to support the dev.

I wouldn't buy a old ps4 to play pirated games since online play is so important these days I don't see how I would find enough offline exclusives to tip it in my favor. However I know a lot of people that may not have supercomputers that will certainly welcome the chance to run pirated games regardless. It's really devastating for the consoles life when the ability to pirate new content on current hardware starts. If this ends up happening there are sure to be strategic changes to the console to prevent future exploitation.

With all the hoops required to be jumped through I highly doubt piracy will effect too much.

If I recall right, on the PS3 you where able to boot it into some service mode and then flash a download older version of the software from a usb drive. After a time they'll figure out how to customise current firmware, etc. I suspect that's how this exploit will evolve, just a guess.

On the 3ds if u have an sd memory card you can install a program that logs into a fake nintendo store in which you can download any full game they make straight to the system for free. Swim's 9yo son did it last year to his great surprise after he bought him a 256gb sd card that was on sale, which apparently fits hundreds of 3ds games. Swim's family has not lost a 3ds cartridge since.

I'm fairly sure this existed as a proof of concept a while ago, like last year but has finally been released in a more mainstream method to play backups that require that level of firmware or before.

I would just like my PS4 to not require the game disc for a game which is installed to the hard drive (from disc). Yeah yeah, buy digital and all that. I like used game sales, sue me.

I would just like my PS4 to not require the game disc for a game which is installed to the hard drive (from disc). Yeah yeah, buy digital and all that. I like used game sales, sue me.

Fine but I need your full name in order to sue you, which you still have yet to provide.

On the 3ds if u have an sd memory card you can install a program that logs into a fake nintendo store in which you can download any full game they make straight to the system for free. Swim's 9yo son did it last year to his great surprise after he bought him a 256gb sd card that was on sale, which apparently fits hundreds of 3ds games. Swim's family has not lost a 3ds cartridge since.

Yeah the 3DS has been hacked in some pretty crazy ways, though I believe the current FW is not able to support CFW unless you already installed it prior to updating the FW.

No publisher's interested in letting kids rent & rip.

Fine but I need your full name in order to sue you, which you still have yet to provide.

Sony has that info from PSN.

No publisher's interested in letting kids rent & rip.

Sure, but again, if I'm logged into PSN, Sony has my info. Not saying going back to cd keys is the answer.... I dunno.

Back