PS4 Online Multiplayer to Require PS Plus Subscription

Sucks. Was looking forward to owning a PS4. They did everything right till this.. Oh well..

But then again shooters suck on a console. ESP online..

When sony was the free option vs the ms one costing it wasn't as big of a deal that the system wasn't as good. This just means they really need to step up.

I'm still wondering how the online pass stuff will go. I see why ea said they were dropping it with the xbox one in mind. I don't see the publishers dropping it as a source of income on the ps4 though. Time will tell I guess.

Sucks. Was looking forward to owning a PS4. They did everything right till this.. Oh well..

But then again shooters suck on a console. ESP online..

All you play is FPS? Shame.

PS+ is definitely worth the investment. The requirement just means Sony will likely "beef up" the network and make it much faster and more efficient.

I only play SP on my PS3 anyways. All my online games are kept to the PC. So no big deal over here.

It's still cheaper than Gold. And honestly I'm not surprised since Sony wants to have a much stronger network service this time, with all the Gaikai, video streaming, sharing etc.

At least PS+ is a value add service unlike Libe Gold.

This would have outraged people a month ago, but now because the console is $100 cheaper its just fine, just saying. Next up you will see some moves to get more games digital only or restricted used games.

At least they're not restricting literally everything to PS Plus members unlike Xbox Live Gold.

Want to watch netflix/hulu/youtube/etc and download movies/music? Xbox Live Gold required.
Want to browse the web with IE? Xbox Live Gold required.
Want to get instant access to game demos? Xbox Live Gold required.
Want to breathe? Xbox Live Gold required.

There are a lot more single player focused games on PS as opposed to Xbox which is basically shooter central. This isn't as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

Most people probably don't know just how good PS+ really is, once they see the IGC and free games it's a much easier decision to make.

Wow, look at all the apologists.

MS charging for online: "Hurrrr fuck you Microshaft! Why should I pay to use stuff I already pay for?!"
Sony charging for online: "Oh that's not so bad."

Anybody who is okay with this but criticised MS charging for Xbox Live has just lost all credibility.

FUCK PAYING FOR ONLINE.

This is total BS. One of my friends used to be a hardcore console player till I got him into PC gaming and though he owns a PS3 and 360, he said he's done with consoles!

Seriously, what are these console manufaturers thinking!?!? By adding all this restrictive crap not only does it turn a lot of people off but don't expect many customers in any countries that aren't 1st world.

What really boggles my mind about this in particular is it was one significant leg-up over M$; being able to play online for free and, if you wanted, you could get PS+ and get free games and discounts and stuff, it was awesome all the way around! They just lost one nice advantage over Microsoft IMO. It's the reason I have known quite a few people buy a PS3 over a 360.

Seriously, consoles dying in a fire would be the best thing.

Unlike Gold, PSN Plus is actually worth it. However it does kinda suck for those casuals who only play CoD or something like that online not giving a damn about other games to pay the fees, they might as well download the great free games Plus offers.

MS charging for online: "Hurrrr fuck you Microshaft! Why should I pay to use stuff I already pay for?!"

Anybody who is okay with this but criticised MS charging for Xbox Live has just lost all credibility.

FUCK PAYING FOR ONLINE.

I never criticized the online fees for MS, and I'm not going to here either for Sony... $3.50ish a month is not much to ask for it.

FUCK PAYING FOR ONLINE.

I think paying for online is stupid. That said, it's a non-issue to me. I never planned on getting rid of PS+ and the rest of the features of plus make it worth it. One of the biggest issues with Gold, for me, was how they restricted everything. There was no value to be had with Gold. If you didn't pay you had a severely gimped console that couldn't do 90% of what MS advertised. Plus more than pays for itself just with all the free games Sony gives to people. Adding MP to it is dumb, but at least they're not locking everything behind a pay wall and they're making the service valuable.

Pretty crappy I hope they back track on this but I already pay for PN+ because of all the other amazing values you get out of it so I'm afraid I'm unaffected.

I don't think they should have left Kinect as an addon, if they want to push gaming forward they need it as a standard feature. But what they should have done is just eaten a big loss on it.

I don't think they should have left Kinect as an addon, if they want to push gaming forward they need it as a standard feature. But what they should have done is just eaten a big loss on it.

The kinect is not really what I consider "pushing gaming forward."

Being able to communicate with your electronic devices through speech and movement isn't moving forward?

Tell me how it benefits games, not devices.

Ask Nintendo they crushed everyone last generation on it. Lets just look at movement which absolutely sucks on consoles with their garbage joy sticks. Now imagine if you can just move your controller or head around to more precisely aim. None of this is going to move forward if we don't have the hardware. What about shouting out commands that can enact complex actions or events to start and divide them into more groups where most games just have one "use" key. None of this moves forward without the hardware in place.

Tell me how it benefits games, not devices.

Making the kinect a standard feature makes a huge difference. With xbox 360 developers had to write games for one or the other, now that its a standard feature you will potentially see a lot more games utilize it in new cool ways.

Too bad they didn't. And now they owned themselves. LOL.

Too bad they didn't. And now they owned themselves. LOL.

Yep and IMO they have a limited time to back track on this before, with so many mistakes and failed pushes ballmers job is in trouble.

I seriously do not know what Microsoft is thinking these past few years. With such a lead you would think they know what gamers wanted.

Ask Nintendo they crushed everyone last generation on it. Lets just look at movement which absolutely sucks on consoles with their garbage joy sticks. Now imagine if you can just move your controller or head around to more precisely aim. None of this is going to move forward if we don't have the hardware. What about shouting out commands that can enact complex actions or events to start and divide them into more groups where most games just have one "use" key. None of this moves forward without the hardware in place.

Please. Wii sold more because it was way cheaper and sort of fun at the beginning. Then look what happened. The console sat idle for most when the initial fun wore off. I was given a Wii by my sister who no longer used it and it sat for a year or something until my GF played Skyward Sword. Then it was mailed back to her shortly after. Because there was no use for it.

Only reason I bought a Wii U when I did was because of how cheap I got it.

You're also going to sit there and tell me they couldn't program voice commands to be received by the mic plugged into the controller

I'll wait an see what vast movement improvements there are. Aiming, maybe, but i never used one of those gun controllers so I'm not sure how well that would work out.

No, the future is VR, or Augmented Reality or something, not this "wave your arms bullshit."

Making the kinect a standard feature makes a huge difference. With xbox 360 developers had to write games for one or the other, now that its a standard feature you will potentially see a lot more games utilize it in new cool ways.

Potentially. But we won't.

I paid into XBL for years. Getting a PS4 and I may try PSN or not, because all of my MP time is on the PC.
I really can't see myself playing anything other than exclusive titles and sports games with friends on the PS4.

Back