ps3 wireless

flatline1988

Weaksauce
Just got my ps3 and having trouble with the wireless. I have a linksys router and my ps3 won't connect unless I reset the router (everytime). What can be the problem?

It could be a neighbor on the same wireless channel. Download Netstumbler or Kismac and find out which wireless channels are occupied

Mine connects fine. Did you do easy setup or custom?

My only gripe is that wireless is to slow to smoothly stream H264 bluray rips.

Its a problem with the router not giving the PS3 an IP on connections after the first time it connects. The PS3 is probably just one more device than the router wants to keep track of, and since you have 3 laptops + PS3 + other likely devices you might run into this a lot. I went through this exact same problem with a PS3 and a XBox 360 on a Netgear and a Linksys router. Sometimes the PS3 could connect, then the 360 would fail. Then if the 360 could connect, the PS3 never could until I reset the router. A lot of consumer routers just give up and die once you get 4 or 5 devices in regular use.

If you have a router that is DD-WRT compatible, install that firmware and you will never have this problem again. Otherwise, hard reset the router, check for newer firmware, and see if that fixes it.

In theory, wireless access points should be able to handle up to 255 devices, so the number of laptops hanging on there shouldn't be a problem.

This sounds like some sort of DHCP lease problem, judging from the fact that a reset on the router fixes it. Is it possible to run an ethernet cable to the router really quick to see if the issue persists on a wired connection?

expand ur ip address range the default is like 10 IP addresses on the linksys router

we had a linksys that would crap out on with more than 2 wireless devices connected. turns out that the ram on the router went tits up. replaced it with a trendnet 54Mbps router and it works just fine with 24 wireless devices and 2 wired ones

I honestly never looked into it but I always had wireless problems with my PS3. It had an impossible time keeping a connection. Too lazy to figure it out I just hard wired it.

I've had problems with my dlink router and PS3 wireless, had to disable DNS relay cause the PS3 would always error out and say it was a DNS error.

The problem I had with connecting my PS3 to wireless is that on my AP, I had the ssid broadcast hidden and even if I typed it in correctly into the PS3 it wouldn't connect. I had to turn SSID broadcast on and connect the PS3 and leave the broadcast on in order to keep it connected.

turning off your SSID will rarely deter a determined hacker anyway, hiding it only keeps the casuals from knowing about your network

do you have a large enough range of IP addresses available, you can set the number of connections in the router controls. For maximum security I have mine set to the number of devices I have connected to the router, that way there will not be an available IP address for an outsider to connect to.

I never had a problem with my wireless, although I thought it was slow. I just got a cheap router and put DDWRT on it. It ended up being faster and i got a 5 port bridge down stairs:cool:.

Back