PS3 VS DX10 Vista PC

jonneymendoza said:
LOL thats funny. in 5 years time, pc's would of surpassed both a 360 and ps3 combined together...

ps3

Maybe you should try reading some of the other replies; you're like the 9th guy to completely misunderstand what's being said.

i see but the point is that most people agree that ps3's graphics wont surpass a PC'S graphics mate.. i wont be purchasing a ps3 every untill the price drops in half of its current price

Console guy: Yeah, well, PC might be faster in 5 years, but that's only because you'll pretty much have to buy a whole new one.
PC guy: Damn straight it'll be faster!
Console guy: But it makes more sense financially to just pay $500 for a console now...the graphics will get better over time as developers get the hang of the development tools.
PC guy: But the PC will be faster.
Console guy: But that's not really the same thing, now, is it? The only PCs that are faster than PS3 and X360 right now are the high-end ones that have $500 videocards, $200 motherboards and $300 processors.
PC guy: Yeah, well, my PC runs, like, Microsoft Word and shit. Plus it will be faster in five years!
Console guy: But it's not even going to be the same PC in five years, you're using the upgradability argument to just buy a whole new PC and pretend you "upgraded" every single component in your system. That's like saying you upgraded your PS2 by buying a PS3.
PC guy: PS3? My PC is faster than PS3.
Console guy: Really? How much did you spend?
PC guy: Well, I've got like 2 X1900s in SLI and a badass X2 processor, so like $1500. But it's, like, way faster than PS3.
Console guy: Wow, and you only spent 3 times as much. What a bargain.
PC guy: Damn straight, dude. Did I mention it runs Word?

finalgt said:
Console guy: Yeah, well, PC might be faster in 5 years, but that's only because you'll pretty much have to buy a whole new one.
Console guy: But it makes more sense financially to just pay $500 for a console now...the graphics will get better over time as developers get the hang of the development tools.
Console guy: But that's not really the same thing, now, is it? The only PCs that are faster than PS3 and X360 right now are the high-end ones that have $500 videocards, $200 motherboards and $300 processors.
PC guy: Yeah, well, my PC runs, like, Microsoft Word and shit. Plus it will be faster in five years!
Console guy: But it's not even going to be the same PC in five years, you're using the upgradability argument to just buy a whole new PC and pretend you "upgraded" every single component in your system. That's like saying you upgraded your PS2 by buying a PS3.
PC guy: Well, I've got like 2 X1900s in SLI and a badass X2 processor, so like $1500. But it's, like, way faster than PS3.

At least we don't spend $60-$70 just to buy one good game.

finalgt said:

That is where consoles really shine and something that PCs can never beat. Oh, and BTW you forgot the motherboard, soundcard, PSU, case, memory, drives, etc. You would hope that a 2 or 3 grand PC would have better graphics than a $600 console. Compare an Xbox360 to equally priced PC. You'll probably be stuck with a Celeron and onboard graphics.

I don't understand why this argument persists. Yes, PCs will have better graphics than console, and in 3-4 years the console won't be able to even compare to PCs. Console fan_boys deal with it, it is a fact no matter how you try to spin it. Consoles cost a fraction of the price of a decent gaming PC and last longer. Consoles are a much better value for the price than a PC. PC fan_boys deal with it, it is a fact no matter how you try to spin it. (yes I copy/pasted that sentance)

I can solve this whole PC/Console argument with one sentance: You get what you pay for.

You buy consoles for exclusive games you can't get on the PC. If you don't play consoles, you are missing out on some incredibe games.

ComputerBox34 said:
At least we don't spend $60-$70 just to buy one good game.
Your usage of "we" in your post emphasizes the subtext of my post, which you went and completely failed to comprehend, much better than I ever could have. Why do so many people have this retarded idea that you can either be PC, or you can be console, and never both?

Oh, and my allegiance lies with PC, by the way. The last console game I bought was Shadow of the Colossus, and it was $40, not $70. I just had to point out how many PC guys are in here who just use the same arguments over and over again. I found it amusing.

PS3 is an early version of DX10, at first the ps3 will be more powerfull then video cards manufacturers will come out with something comparable since it's a preview of whats about to be released. The advantages of consoles are that you only buy one every 5 yrs. Dissadvantages are some games are usually console selective aka I love halo 3 but I bought a PS3 so that means either buy the 360 to play halo 3 or not buy it an be dissapointed, same thing with sony they got gran turismo, can't get it on the 360, wanna play zelda 3 you gotta buy the 3rd system. I like pc's because I have more flexibility with fps *board n mouse) and also because a good ammount of the time when games could out we get it cheaper, if your monitor is big enoug (i got a fw900 sony 24in crt) then you can run resolutions beyond 1080P 1920 × 1080 I can do 2048 x 1280 as long as my vid card can run fast enoug for that game (bad part). Consoles when made correctly can run all games smooth big dissavantage to pc's. They all have ups and downs but reallity is that ppl buy into the games. Why is it that the PS3 sell cheaper than a comparable pc. Exp Sony has the system bundled with limited 3rd party hardware add ons at launch so whatever they make they pocket it (they loose money at first until time comes where manufacturing techniques become more affortable). You get it cheap because they wanna lock you in the contract you buy system, eventually you have to buy accessories, games ect, why do you think games cost $60 sony has to get a cut, they offer the hardware that the software needs you to buy. PC's are more expensive because they they know some extremist are willing to shell out vast ammounts of $$ in order to have the fastest, they will price it as high as the consumer is willing to spend. Back when Geforce 3 came out premium card used to cost $300, now the premium 7900 gtc oc 512 will cost you $600. In the end early adaptors of technology loose out, what comes out usually have issues and will probably get updated. Xbox 360 is talking about a faster processor update for next year, they also gonna offer an HD-DVD add on through USB, PS3 will prob come out and withing a year or two I'll slim up a bit, It currently has the size of an original xbox and weights more than the 360.

In 5 years we will start this argument with the ps4 and xbox 3 :D
If i remember corectly the cell was designed to handle cpu and graphics and sony then decided to have a dedicated gpu? and ps3 uses open gl?

Haven't even read the whole thread, but lets see if I've got the gist of it:

"Non-existant Console Vs Non-existant PC."

Given the mass of data we have on these technologies its surprising this thread could turn into a flamewar.....(sarcasm intended).

Are you even buying consoles for the games or for the graphics? This is what I propose you do. Go sell off all your accumulated junk that tries to imitate reality and go experience it yourself. With the loads of money you will save by selling off all your existing systems and consoles, you can buy a plane ticket to the Caribbean as well as to far exotic islands and go sight-seeing. Trust me, the graphics don't get any MORE real than that. You are talking about Crysis right? You seemed more concerned about seeing the veins on the leaves of the trees than the game itself. This way, not only can you see the foliage, you can also TOUCH IT! This is beyond visceral, you are TRULLY there! Screw the fact that games are meant to be played. You should also just rip the CGI sequences from your games and throw the original disc away. Who needs the game. You can watch beautiful prerendered 3D that your system can't even try to draw and smugly feel that you are at least 5-10 years or more ahead of everyone else. Games? Who needs games. Screw games. I buy them for the pretty graphics.

It doesn't seem fair to compare 3.2ghz IBM CPU and a 7800GT against a DX10 PC rig graphics wise. Of course the DX10 rig will blow it out of the water.

Also, it doesn't seem fair to compare a new PC rig against a subsidized console price wise either.

This is a moot point and you guys beating the dead horse, as someone showed earlier. I hope someone shuts this thread down because it's a flame war.

Neither the PC now the consoles are superior.

Graphics - PCs will always have better power IF you are willing to put in the money and time to stay upgraded. The DX10 engine looks amazing . However, consoles look good because they are built exclusively for gaming. Consoles do get better over time, because the devs learn how to fully use their capabilities. For example, Halo 2 looked much better than the original Halo. The new consoles have multiple processors, and the devs simply do not know how to take advantage of that yet.

Gameplay - Consoles usually have very good gameplay. Many of the console games are easy to sit down with, plug-and-play, and have fun. However, PCs have capabilities that consoles do not have. PCs can play RTSs, which consoles lack do to using a controler rather than a keyboard and mouse. PCs also have many of the RPGs MMORPGs that I have seen, although I am not a console gamer so there may be some out there. Also, PCs can do things like surf the internet and whatever that consoles cannot do because they lack a keybaord and mouse and they correct programs.

Conclusion - PCs have better graphics but they cost more. They have a broader set of games, but they are less plug-and-play. PCs can also use the internet and other useful and practical programs.
Consoles are great for plug-and-play. They tend to have good gameplay on many games. The console graphics are close to PC graphics, but at a much cheaper cost.

One more thing about price. PCs have a steep buying price, but their games tend to be $10 or so cheaper than console games. Consoles cost a lot less, but be prepared to dish out $70 - $80 for each PS3 game.

Looking at this, chose which one you want to buy.

I'm amazed people are still holding on to the cost reasoning.

Would you agree that the most demanding PC game is FEAR? I'm playing it right now and i have everything turned as high as they can go. Full AA/AF/shadows/res, the works. And there's *NO* slowdown in firefights!

I've also got GRAW, TombRaider, NFS:MW, all of them also at max. No problem.

Cost of complete rig? $730.00 :rolleyes:

PS3 uses a variation of OpenGL ES... not a DirectX rip-off.

In about a year the PC wil be ahead of both Ps3 and X360 graphically.

PCs have been been better than consols performance and graphics wise for a couple of decades now. Why? Because you can always build a bigger PC. It's an expensive hobby, but when the games are there, it's satisfying. There is often the uncertainty that a particular computer is new enough to actually run the latest games, but on a powerful PC, there is nothing to compare to it in performance as well as backwards compatability. It can even emulate older consols. A PC also has other functions, word processing, internet access, e-mail... Those functions help people justify spending all that money on a PC, even people who only really want the games.

On the other hand, consols have a broad list of games, are cheaper than PCs, and when a game claims to work on a model of consol it genneral really does. A modern consol is as powerful than a PC form a couple of years ago, and if they had the will to do so, consol makers could probably incorporate the remaining functions that keep a PC in average people's homes.

The PS3 is not going to look any better then the 360. Upgrade your PC.

Uggh, I don't know why I bother responding to these threads anymore. First off, I should mention that I own a nice mid range pc and all consoles. I will never be a blind !!!!!!, but I am slanted towards consoles. None the less, pc's still offer a great gaming experience and I owe a lot of time to games like CS.

The price argument is valid. Any PC under $800 will not match the PS3 or Xbox360 in power. Maybe it will look the same as some launch titles, but it just can't compete. And I don't care if your pc does other things, my dad's old celeron can surf the net and use word too.

Power is a moot point anyway. Gran Turismo 4 looks better than most pc racing games (and plays much much better). That is done on a little 300mhz processor and 8mb video card. If everyone had the same pc, things would be a whole hell of a lot better. Developers can really push the hardware to its limits.

Games like Gears of War and Halo 3 are already shaping up to be graphical powerhouses and this is still in the first year of its lifespan. Imagine 3-4 years down the road. Sure, PC's will overcome them hardware wise, but efficient programming will keep the race close. Especially while developers are trying to tap the power of the Cell. The best part is that you will save thousands since you don't have to upgrade.

I know a lot of people here claim gameplay>graphics, but you certainly don't show it. "OMgz, Crysis pwns next gen consoles. Pc's 4 life" Games are fun, if you want photorealistic graphics that bad, just go outside. Play the game for enjoyment and don't wonder how many polygons each texture has.

And consoles have the games to back that up. MGS4, Halo3, Gears of War, Final Fantasy XIII, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, Mass Effect, Too Human, Forza 2. Please don't make me go on.

I already have a 360 which I love and will be buying a Wii to go along with it. I am holding off on my pc upgrade until DX10 has been out for a few months. I love pc gaming, but it is losing ground to consoles.

Sly said:
I'm amazed people are still holding on to the cost reasoning.

Would you agree that the most demanding PC game is FEAR? I'm playing it right now and i have everything turned as high as they can go. Full AA/AF/shadows/res, the works. And there's *NO* slowdown in firefights!

I've also got GRAW, TombRaider, NFS:MW, all of them also at max. No problem.

Cost of complete rig? $730.00 :rolleyes:

Just wondering what resolution and what video card your running. You can max everything out what really slows you down is when you wip out high resolution 1600x1200, 1900x1600 and 2048x1280.

Obi_Kwiet said:
There's more to this than power/money ratios. This argument is idiotic.
The entire thread topic is idiotic, but better known as flamebait.

ellover009 said:
Just wondering what resolution and what video card your running. You can max everything out what really slows you down is when you wip out high resolution 1600x1200, 1900x1600 and 2048x1280.

Hes probably running it at 800x600... :p

pr0pensity said:
deadhorse.gif

:D

Truth!!

ellover009 said:

A 7900gt, we have a retailer here that sells them for $300.00.

As for resolution. Whatever maximum resolution the game supports. I've been comparing numbers to the other buyers and mine's actually around 10-20% slower (CPU bottleneck :( ). In any case, this thing actually runs FEAR with everything max faster than my old 5900xt rig with everything at minimum.

BTW, I'm not one of those crazy hardcore guys that wants 100fps. I'll leave the SLI to them. I've got other things to spend my money on (BE MGB Aug :D Mask Down!).

There's more to this than power/money ratios. This argument is idiotic.

I didn't know there was a 3DMark for XBOX360 :p But i do have a big issue with money. The main reason i grew up with PC's was because i simply CANNOT afford a console. Gaming level rigs are expensive, true, but they can actually pay for themselves. My first PC was given to me by my parents back in highschool and i simply used it earn more money for the upgrades (You'd be surprised how many of your classmates can't type! :eek: ). Taking on larger projects as i grew up and adding them to my resume, and of course adding more features to my rig.

I can easily let go of $750 for a PC because i *know* i'll get it back eventually. A console on the other hand is purely a luxury item (e.g. money pit).

From experience, if i were to consider economics, a $400 console is actually more expensive than an $800 PC.

This is just me, i don't know how the other PC gamers maintain their rigs.

PC have a lower price performance ratio right now! Duh! That's a fact. There are plenty of other good reasons for getting one, other than price/performance. This thread is a-wantin' a lock. :rolleyes:

Gentlemen.. It's quantity, not quality. The larger market share WILL be reached by a console market. Regardless of enthusiast this or that, MORE people will be playing consoles, ps3, 360 or Wii, otherwise. The quality of games and graphics will improve on the three once the programmers have learned to scale things properly, but it will, in no way, touch the level dx10 games will be on. No way, will it, at the current rate of GPU manufacturing/R&D. PC gamers are simply going to get what they put their money into, provided there is an ample supply of developers with decently fresh ideas(ie, Crysis). We're in for a treat.

MrGuvernment said:
If you dont upgrade your computer - yes it does get older and older - but so does the console.. so moot point.

Console games typically get better with time as developers learn to better code for the systems.

The 360 is my first console since the SNES days... but i'm quite disappointed by the performance (although so far the games i've played have been GREAT). But since you guys seem to know so much, how much performance can they really obtain through better coding and optimization? Are we talking in the range of 20% to 50%... even though 50% seems pretty absurd to me simply by better optimization... or are we talking about 100-200% or more? Because the games i've played so far, Condemned and Lara Croft, have both had performance choking in many places when played in HD.

moralpanic said:
The 360 is my first console since the SNES days... but i'm quite disappointed by the performance (although so far the games i've played have been GREAT). But since you guys seem to know so much, how much performance can they really obtain through better coding and optimization? Are we talking in the range of 20% to 50%... even though 50% seems pretty absurd to me simply by better optimization... or are we talking about 100-200% or more? Because the games i've played so far, Condemned and Lara Croft, have both had performance choking in many places when played in HD.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is 100%. The difference between first and last gen games on consoles can be pretty big.

laxmiddi44 said:
After watching a lot of PS3 in-game footage and watching the Crysis Video, i can't see the PS3 beating that. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 has a modified version of DX9, but if PC games are already looking better than the PS3 thats bad.

I'm deciding between a new PC and a PS3, and im not quite sure what to get. I have a 360 now.

Even if--by some freak chance--PS3 games look better at launch then the current PC games, it won't last long. PC is a more progressive gaming system.

heatsinker said:
So you're telling me you're going to spend maybe a thousand bucks or over to play one game? I don't know about you, but PS3 and X360 games will be looking better in the next 5 years, while computer hardware will only get older and older.

Wow that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard... Computer hardware gets updated FAR more often than console hardware does. New GPU architectures are released yearly if not twice yearly where as consoles can go 5 years before something new is released. Seriously think before you post. PS3 games will look the same until the PS4, computer games will constantly improve in the meantime.

CodeX said:
Wow that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard... Computer hardware gets updated FAR more often than console hardware does. New GPU architectures are released yearly if not twice yearly where as consoles can go 5 years before something new is released. Seriously think before you post. PS3 games will look the same until the PS4, computer games will constantly improve in the meantime.

How about you seriously read all of the messages in this thread? You missed the point completely and misunderstood every word I typed. Go get a Cliffs Notes or something if you're that damn lazy.

CodeX said:
Stunning. Truly stunning.

heatsinker said:
So you're telling me you're going to spend maybe a thousand bucks or over to play one game? I don't know about you, but PS3 and X360 games will be looking better in the next 5 years, while computer hardware will only get older and older.

I guess the PS3 and x360 have somehow found the fountain of youth then, if we're to believe what u'r saying.

Back