PS3 VS DX10 Vista PC

laxmiddi44

Gawd
After watching a lot of PS3 in-game footage and watching the Crysis Video, i can't see the PS3 beating that. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 has a modified version of DX9, but if PC games are already looking better than the PS3 thats bad.

I'm deciding between a new PC and a PS3, and im not quite sure what to get. I have a 360 now.

Dude it hasn't even been released yet. If you judged the PS2's quality by its launch quality then you'd have missed out on some seriously great games.

heatsinker said:
Dude it hasn't even been released yet. If you judged the PS2's quality by its launch quality then you'd have missed out on some seriously great games.

vista and DX10 havn't been released yet either......and they already have something looking that good

So you're telling me you're going to spend maybe a thousand bucks or over to play one game? I don't know about you, but PS3 and X360 games will be looking better in the next 5 years, while computer hardware will only get older and older.

heatsinker said:
So you're telling me you're going to spend maybe a thousand bucks or over to play one game?

no but im sure a ton of other games will use the same engine, or will be made as good as that. I'm just saying if the PS3 is supposed to last 4/5 years with the graphics on PC already looking this good, then thats not very good.

I'm sure that's what they said when Far Cry was released, but where's the CryEngine now? I believe the phrase for it is, "Results not typical".

Actually i think the 360 is capable of more effects that are in DX10 than the PS3 is.

heatsinker said:
So you're telling me you're going to spend maybe a thousand bucks or over to play one game? I don't know about you, but PS3 and X360 games will be looking better in the next 5 years, while computer hardware will only get older and older.

Are you kidding me with this? It's the EXACT opposite. PS3 and 360 games will only have the ability to take advantage of its own hardware. You think PC graphics will look the same for the next 5 years? Because that's exactly what you just said. At least you can upgrade computer hardware, so I don't know where you're getting "computer hardware will only get older and older"

TekSomniaK said:
Are you kidding me with this? It's the EXACT opposite. PS3 and 360 games will only have the ability to take advantage of its own hardware. You think PC graphics will look the same for the next 5 years? Because that's exactly what you just said. At least you can upgrade computer hardware, so I don't know where you're getting "computer hardware will only get older and older"

If you dont upgrade your computer - yes it does get older and older - but so does the console.. so moot point.

Console games typically get better with time as developers learn to better code for the systems.

But also think of what else you can do with the PC you cant with a PS3.

True in 5 years maybe the PS 3 will match a really high end pc of today but then why would you want to have a PS 3 in five years seeing what new video cards consoles is out then :).

But for me since you already have a Xbox 360 wouldn´t a PC complement it better then another console?

I would believe the PS 3 is pretty similar to Xbox 360 in performance. Personally I am going to complement my PC with a Wii :D

oqvist said:
True in 5 years maybe the PS 3 will match a really high end pc of today but then why would you want to have a PS 3 in five years seeing what new video cards consoles is out then :).

But for me since you already have a Xbox 360 wouldn´t a PC complement it better then another console?

I would believe the PS 3 is pretty similar to Xbox 360 in performance. Personally I am going to complement my PC with a Wii :D

considering i have a AMD 2200 and 1GB of ram, and only an 80GB HD, yea i would say thats prolly the better option.

TekSomniaK said:

You buy a console and it lasts 5 years. You buy a video card and it isn't going to give you the same performance with games developed 5 years later. Simple, no?

It truly is apples and oranges. You can't get constantly bleeding edge graphics for a one time investment; you'll just have to settle with one or the other.

heatsinker said:
You buy a console and it lasts 5 years. You buy a video card and it isn't going to give you the same performance with games developed 5 years later. Simple, no?

It truly is apples and oranges. You can't get constantly bleeding edge graphics for a one time investment; you'll just have to settle with one or the other.
That's because they don't release any new consoles in that time, LMAO. Consoles have good graphics the first year or so, then an average PC will look better, and a high end PC will whoop it.

Eagle156 said:
That's because they don't release any new consoles in that time, LMAO. Consoles have good graphics the first year or so, then an average PC will look better, and a high end PC will whoop it.

Happens every time. Consoles catch up/ somewhat surpass the PC, and in a year the PC Is back better than ever.

This time the PC may surpass the console in under a year.

s_s256 said:
Happens every time. Consoles catch up/ somewhat surpass the PC, and in a year the PC Is back better than ever.

This time the PC may surpass the console in under a year.

I agree, I mean how much can you max out a 7800GTX? (which what the PS3 uses, same clockspeed, only a die shrink is different). Sure you can try to squeeze some more out of it, but I don't think they'll ever get as fast as a SLi 7800GTX setup which is about 30% faster. The chip only uses DX9 and OpenGL, in the long run it will not keep up.

The Xbox360 on the other hand has a much greater chance of keeping up because it has some of the Directx 10 features. It has a much better graphics chip under the hood. However it seems the next gen of video cards could put a serious whoopin on the Xenos. Hey, it happens video cards get better but this time it seems video hardware is advancing pretty fast on the PC.

Can everybody who places more importance on graphics than on gameplay just stop playing videogames forever?

Seriously, you're ruining it for the rest of us.

heatsinker said:
Yet you're still missing the point. :p

I don't think they even want to think about or understand what you said. Or maybe it is beyond them.

deadhorse.gif

vista and DX10 havn't been released yet either......and they already have something looking that good
Neither is complete, yet you're already deciding what to buy. Or not to buy as the case may be.

heatsinker said:
PS3 and X360 games will be looking better in the next 5 years, while computer hardware will only get older and older.
I know. In a few years, my 7800GT will only be able to run DX7 games. I hate the way PCs age!

It will be just as fast as it was half a decade ago. And particularly well suited for simultaneous console/PC releases.

I'm pretty sure that the PS3 has a modified version of DX9
Actually, it runs Linux.

My suggestion, buy a PC and keep updated on this page. You'll have the best damned graphics in the industry for years to come.

Serious answer: If you only care about visuals, look at screenshots and decide for yourself what to buy instead of posting ridicuous threads on a message board.

pr0pensity said:
Neither is complete, yet you're already deciding what to buy. Or not to buy as the case may be.

I know. In a few years, my 7800GT will only be able to run DX7 games. I hate the way PCs age!

It will be just as fast as it was half a decade ago. And particularly well suited for simultaneous console/PC releases.

Actually, it runs Linux.

My suggestion, buy a PC and keep updated on this page. You'll have the best damned graphics in the industry for years to come.

Serious answer: If you only care about visuals, look at screenshots and decide for yourself what to buy instead of posting ridicuous threads on a message board.

Are you kidding? My x1900xtx only runs dx6 already...

I doubt that the PS3 or 360 will ever have the image quality that a high end PC will have. But, you know what? Who cares. It's more than good enough and lesser graphics shouldn't stop you from buying a system that has games with good gameplay (what really matters) that you are interested in.

jokerx225 said:
Pc is always above Consoles that is that

QFT!

Its like a race car is faster than a commerical one. Plain and simple. A race car or a PC is modular and upgradeable in ever form and fashion, a commerical car or console is only really as faster as the manufacture makes it. While yes there are some fast commerical cars (consoles), which happen to be able to tweaked in performance at times, the race car (PC) will always be able to go faster, even if there happens to be a really really fast commerical car (console).

Well if you already have a 360 don't waste your money for another console if you expect better graphics. Only get the PS3 if there is a game you must play. But as for PS3 not looking like Crysis it will eventually but by that time the PC will have even better looking stuff.

laxmiddi44 said:
After watching a lot of PS3 in-game footage and watching the Crysis Video, i can't see the PS3 beating that. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 has a modified version of DX9, but if PC games are already looking better than the PS3 thats bad.

I'm deciding between a new PC and a PS3, and im not quite sure what to get. I have a 360 now.

I thought the PS3 was OGL?

hehe, now if you consider COSTS... hehehe.

a $500 console will last you longer than a $500 video card. by "longer", i mean it will work w/ future games and provide the same visual quality and performance throughout its life. now, a pc will give you better overall visual quality, but there is no guarantee that it will play future games with the quality you initially had.

if you have the money to spend and you consider yourself a "gamer", go ahead and get BOTH and quit bitchin.

heatsinker said:

PC hardware will always be evolving and upgrading where-as PS3/360 will stay the same. If PC games look the same in 5 years as PS3/360 games look at the same time, then there is a serious problem.

DX10 will leave consoles eating PCs' dust. I think it's going to be the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming.

An arcticle on the PS3 over at gamespot states that it is using a variant of OpenGl, Open GL/ES.

laxmiddi44 said:

Here is what you should do. Get what you are going to play the most. You have already spent the money on the 360, so it would be stupid to get rid of it unless you are really that hard up for cash. As others say, since PCs move so fast their graphics are always going to end up better over the lifetime of a console. With that said, it would be stupid of you to get the PC if over that 5 years there are only 5-6 PC games you want while there are 15-20 console games you want.

Look at the overall pictures. Graphics are only part of the picture and the Wii shows us that. It by far has the worst graphics, but the unique gameplay more than makes up for it. You have to also consider costs. You got a 360 for $400. With that purchase you are going to be able to play all the games that are released at the max setting for the next 5 years. That is a great return on the investment. On a PC you spend $500-$600 on the GPU and within 6 months its outdated and you have to start turning down the settings to play games.

There is one thing I don't understand though, what is with all this either/or stuff. I don't consider anyone that limits themself to just the PC or one console to be a true gamer. I own a gaming PC, (see sig) all 3 of the current consoles, and both the handhelds. Its all about the games. When looking at games, I don't even look at what system it is out for; because it doesn't matter. All it does is change what system I stick it in when I get home. However even I won't be getting a PS3 until it drops in price a couple of times.

The PS3 and 360 will have inferior graphics to a PC, but at least the PS3 will have some exclusive content not available for PCs; the 360's library will consist almost entirely of ports. :p

zooraf said:
The PS3 and 360 will have inferior graphics to a PC, but at least the PS3 will have some exclusive content not available for PCs; the 360's library will consist almost entirely of ports. :p
There's going to be just as many cross-platform games on the PS3 as there will be on the 360. Most big games are being developed for multiple systems. The 360 has plenty of exclusives coming out for it, many more than the PS3. However, that is advantage it will have by being 1 year old when the PS3 is launched.

Bop said:
I agree, I mean how much can you max out a 7800GTX? (which what the PS3 uses, same clockspeed, only a die shrink is different). Sure you can try to squeeze some more out of it, but I don't think they'll ever get as fast as a SLi 7800GTX setup which is about 30% faster. The chip only uses DX9 and OpenGL, in the long run it will not keep up.

The Xbox360 on the other hand has a much greater chance of keeping up because it has some of the Directx 10 features. It has a much better graphics chip under the hood. However it seems the next gen of video cards could put a serious whoopin on the Xenos. Hey, it happens video cards get better but this time it seems video hardware is advancing pretty fast on the PC.
It is not a 7800GTX. Both consoles use cards with 128 bit memory interfaces... that limits their bandwidth to half what their bigger brothers on the PCs can do. Consoles can still look good because developers can code exclusively for their hardware. But neither the PS3 or the 360 can come anywhere near the PC in graphical power. Add to the fact that their CPUs are also pretty shitty for game code, compared to x86 processors.

heatsinker said:

LOL thats funny. in 5 years time, pc's would of surpassed both a 360 and ps3 combined together...

ps3

Back