PS3 vs 360 Games

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
I tried to look for other threads that address this issue but really couldn't, if there is and I'm missing it then sorry. But I just recently got a ps3 and already have a 360 and am now torn between which system to buy certain games for. How do I know what would be the best system to get them for? I guess it depends on each game and how well the developer did on it for each system. Like dead space for instance, is 360 or ps3 better, or is it just about the same so it really doesn't matter which system you get it for? Would PS3 ever be better since the BR discs can hold more info and would have stuff like higher-res textures? I've seen comparison articles like on IGN but they actually make you pay to read it, screw that I'm not paying IGN squat for the free and better info I can get from you guys :)

Thanks

There is no correct answer. Just buy it for the system you play with more often. or the system more of your friends have to take advantage of the online play.

For certain games the PS3 is better then the 360, I heard Force Unleashed has tearing issues with the 360, but I only own a PS3(Sort of a Sony fan).

There is my slightly biased opinion.

If the game is an online focused game then I would buy it for the XBOX 360 becuase it clearly has better online capabilities.

If the game is an online focused game then I would buy it for the XBOX 360 becuase it clearly has better online capabilities.

Yeah this is what I have been doing. If it's something I want to play more online, I get it for the 360 since I know way more people with a 360 than a PS3. Single player games (released on both consoles) usually go to the PS3.

I've seen comparison articles like on IGN but they actually make you pay to read it, screw that I'm not paying IGN squat for the free and better info I can get from you guys :)
No need to pay IGN:

EuroGamer: Xbox 360 vs PS3 Face-Off: Round 14

There are 13 other rounds linked on the first page of that. 90% of the time the 360 version the better of the two, but the situation isn't as bad as it used to be.

There is no correct answer. Just buy it for the system you play with more often. or the system more of your friends have to take advantage of the online play.

What he said.

My preferred system is the PS3, so I purchase all my titles for it. I get what I need out of both consoles for online play.

Multi platform releases no longer have glaring differences - you are safe going with whatever version you want. I always go with the PS3 when I can simply because I have one of the original 360s and the noise from the dvd drive can get pretty insane.

Always double check older releases because during PS3s original launch window most of the multi platform games were superior on 360.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17931/PlayStation-3-Mag-Fallout-3-Looks-Better-on-Xbox-360/

Well, it looks like Kaz's "lowest common denominator" mumbo jumbo isn't panning out like he thought...

As far as Fallout3, I would definitely be purchasing for the 360. That is of course you don't have a killer machine capable of running it on PC.

That's complete bullshit if you ask me, it's sad that the Ps3 version of Bethesda's FallOut 3 was not given the amount of attention that the 360 version got. It has nothing to do with which hardware is superior becuase quiet frankly there damn near identical. Bethesda were able to make the PS3 version of Oblivion look better than the 360 and let's face it folks Fallout 3 looks just about the same as Oblivion.

So if in fact the 360 version is superior, why do you think that is? Could it be that Bethesda's signed a deal with MS for exclusive DL content and with that the $'s came before the customers?

So if in fact the 360 version is superior, why do you think that is? Could it be that Bethesda's signed a deal with MS for exclusive DL content and with that the $'s came before the customers?
Bit of a stretch to think that they'd take money to make one version worse.

The difference here compared to Oblivion is that Oblivion came out a year after the 360 version. They had plenty of time to work on it.

I buy all multiplat titles for the 360 because of Xbox Live, Achievements, and normally better graphics/framerate. I buy exclusive PS3 games for my PS3.

It depends on the game. For the most part, any games made both both platforms are pretty much the same in terms of visuals and sound. However, the platform holders frequently negotiate with developers for exclusive content. For instance, GTA IV will have exclusive content on the 360 that you can't get on the PS3, while Mirror's Edge will have exclusive content on the PS3. Also, games that are timed exclusives frequently receive more content when they're ported to the other system later down the road, see Bioshock for the PS3.

And then there are the multiplayer considerations. In general, you probably want to buy a multiplayer game on the platform that your friends are getting it on, which is going to be unique to you.

So if you're really looking to get the most out of your games you need to evaluate them on a case by case basis to determine which platform is best for you.

Bit of a stretch to think that they'd take money to make one version worse.

The difference here compared to Oblivion is that Oblivion came out a year after the 360 version. They had plenty of time to work on it.

Well thier not taking money to make one worse, their taking money and making sure that console comes first. And unless you've been living under a rock for the last 2 years, MS likes to buy what they can't develope themselves.

And the fact that they had a year extra to develope the title shouldn't even matter now, that only means that they should be extremely comfortable with the PS3 and is fallout 3 not built off the Oblivion engine.

Dead Space for instance, looks way better than Fallout 3 but runs equally well on both systems.

Well thier not taking money to make one worse, their taking money and making sure that console comes first. And unless you've been living under a rock for the last 2 years, MS likes to buy what they can't develope themselves.
I don't know... maybe I'm naive, but it seems extremely shortsighted to piss off people that may not buy your game because you haven't put the work in that's required to get the PS3 version up to scratch.

Dead Space for instance, looks way better than Fallout 3 but runs equally well on both systems.
Get what you're saying, but something like GTA would have been a better example because Dead Space isn't an open world game.

I don't know... maybe I'm naive, but it seems extremely shortsighted to piss off people that may not buy your game because you haven't put the work in that's required to get the PS3 version up to scratch.

Get what you're saying, but something like GTA would have been a better example because Dead Space isn't an open world game.

I agree completely, it makes no sense.
But their obviously experienced with the PS3 tech with that engine but who knows if it does run worse maybe it's something they can fix before or after the release.

True about the comparison also, shuld have used a different one.

i dunno, if i were you, i'd bank on pshome being the next big thing.

if you're into that sort of stuff.

since the titles across platforms are pretty much identical, i'd buy the ps3 on the promise of home, the ps3's far superior controller and its present ability to play blu-ray discs. if you can deal with owning THE one and only delaystation, things'll work out. "everything's coming, just wait a bit, it'll be cool, we promise!" :rolleyes:

i believe 'em. :p

if you're a huge GoW or halo fan, then there'd be no reason for this thread to exist. with arcade system prices at 199 or lower, it's hard to argue...unless you start mentioning the 200$ worth of system accessories you'll need to come within half of what ps3 offers for $400. i like that last enraging sentence the best. :D

PS3, all the way... though you really lose if you don't have a decent gaming pc for falls upcoming titles.

fallout3, farcry2, deadspace, left4dead, GTA4. all will be better on PC, there's no question.

fallout3, farcry2, deadspace, left4dead, GTA4. all will be better on PC, there's no question.

It depends on what you mean by "better". Yeah, graphics will probably be better, no denying that, but to say the entire experience is "better" is pretty subjective. I know for myself, I like coming home and plopping down in front of my couch to play a game I know will work virtually every single time I load it up. For the most part, my PC does this just as well but every now and then comes a time I have to fiddle around with patches, drivers, and the like. I'm getting too lazy to deal with this shit. Sorry to get off topic nevertheless. :eek:

I am happy that I'm able to have all available gaming platforms though. Why limit yourself, I say. :D

if you're a huge GoW or halo fan, then there'd be no reason for this thread to exist. with arcade system prices at 199 or lower, it's hard to argue.
Did you even read the OP? He has both the consoles... or did you just come in here to make the highly original system warz comments?

Thanks from the awesome feedback from most of you, I have a strong PC, 360 and now also a PS3 so I'm covered it's just the decision of which system to get which game for.. I forgot about the exclusive content issue so that's another consideration.. as for dead space, someone mentioned that is better on PC, well I guess you haven't read this forum or other reviews because people are claiming lots of problems with controls.. so I will most probably pick that up on console.. I guess it really does come down to exclusives, like wipeout and LBP I will get for PS3 since that's my only option anyway...

and its present ability to play blu-ray discs..

My problem with the PS3s blu-ray is that it doesn't play them all. ABout 50% of the blu-rays I rent from netflix my PS3 doesn't even show as in the drive. Pisses me off.

My problem with the PS3s blu-ray is that it doesn't play them all. ABout 50% of the blu-rays I rent from netflix my PS3 doesn't even show as in the drive. Pisses me off.

:confused:

You might wanna get that sorted, sounds like you have a dodgy drive. Even if they were the wrong region it should still show.

:confused:

You might wanna get that sorted, sounds like you have a dodgy drive. Even if they were the wrong region it should still show.

Greg, I agree with Tigerblade. It must be your drive or something...I have yet to find a Blu-ray that my PS3 won't play...and I rent 3 of them at a time from Blockbuster online. I usually watch about 8 blu-rays a week.

That's weird. ALL of my games run just fine. Just movies give me issues.
I suppose I could send it in for repair. It's out of warranty, though. :(

It's a game-by-game decision, you cannot make a blanket determination. GameInformer makes an effort in their reviews of putting a small blurb detailing the differences between each console version of a game.

Buy games for the console your friends are on. My roommate has both systems, buys only SP games on his PS3 which is on the 61" DLP, 5.1 in the living room. All other games are 360 in his bedroom, same for me. All of our friends are on Live, all games with MP are purchased for the 360.

just my opinion but if it is coming out the PC as well as the 360/ps3 i'd get the 360 version (if i didn't get the PC version)

just from the simple fact that the PC and the 360 share more in common and probably would lead to a better product on the 360..

in the end it probably doesn't even matter which one, unless you're playing them side by side you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference..

With that said the way i do it

1. The Obvious System Exclusives
2. Cost (which is cheaper, including the PC version)
3. Online capabilities (i get the 360 over hte PS3)
4. flip a coin.

It's a game-by-game decision, you cannot make a blanket determination. GameInformer makes an effort in their reviews of putting a small blurb detailing the differences between each console version of a game.

Yeah if you have both consoles there is not a rule that PS3 is always better. You do need to take it title by title

Thanks from the awesome feedback from most of you, I have a strong PC, 360 and now also a PS3 so I'm covered it's just the decision of which system to get which game for.. I forgot about the exclusive content issue so that's another consideration.. as for dead space, someone mentioned that is better on PC, well I guess you haven't read this forum or other reviews because people are claiming lots of problems with controls.. so I will most probably pick that up on console.. I guess it really does come down to exclusives, like wipeout and LBP I will get for PS3 since that's my only option anyway...

True about Dead Space controls being shit on PC, I would get Dead Space though if you haven't because you'll be missing out on one of the best games that's come out in quiet sometime, even if your not in to horror games.

Both versions look the same but the PS3 exclusive suit looks alot better, imo.

Greg, I agree with Tigerblade. It must be your drive or something...I have yet to find a Blu-ray that my PS3 won't play...and I rent 3 of them at a time from Blockbuster online. I usually watch about 8 blu-rays a week.

SHIT! 8 movies a WEEK?! I am lucky if I see 8 movies a YEAR. I have had my PS3 since March, and I have watched 4 blu-ray movies on it, and I have been to probably 3 movies at the theater so far this year.

They really do need to make the days with 25 hours in them instead of 24.

SHIT! 8 movies a WEEK?! I am lucky if I see 8 movies a YEAR. I have had my PS3 since March, and I have watched 4 blu-ray movies on it, and I have been to probably 3 movies at the theater so far this year.

They really do need to make the days with 25 hours in them instead of 24.

Being single and inviting girls over all the time will do that to ya ;)

i dunno, if i were you, i'd bank on pshome being the next big thing.

since the titles across platforms are pretty much identical, i'd buy the ps3 on the promise of home, the ps3's far superior controller and its present ability to play blu-ray discs. if you can deal with owning THE one and only delaystation, things'll work out. "everything's coming, just wait a bit, it'll be cool, we promise!" :rolleyes:

i believe 'em. :p

Can I have your mailing information? I'm a phantom console reseller/distributer and trying to build up my customer database. :p

Someday that thought process will get you burnt! Home has been promised for 2 years now. It may come out and it may be junk! Why do you think it's been delayed so long? Because the beta versions that people played were JUNK.

360's already got the way better exp. It also is being "updated" with the avatars. I'm not overly excited about that change, but apparently it's worked well for Wii. Sony fanboys -- this generation isn't yours...

BTW - disclaimer. I have all three current gen consoles and a PSP. I'm 29. I bought my own gear --- I enjoy the 360, the PSP, the Wii, the PS3 in that order.

Back