PS3 - updates from launch OS

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
Is there a way to update the PS3 from the first version of the OS it came with at launch to a newer, but not latest, OS?

I have mine running, scared to plug it into the network for fear of it updating to the newest release OS. It was a free machine that cost me $25 for a new laser. Now, it works perfect. Just want to play online and do a few things without losing functionality.

Is there a way to update the PS3 from the first version of the OS it came with at launch to a newer, but not latest, OS?

Just want to play online and do a few things without losing functionality.

You can install updates from a hard drive, but you can't play online without the latest version of the OS.

Lose what functionality? The only thing removed was Other OS which was a junk option anyway. :D

Lose what functionality? The only thing removed was Other OS which was a junk option anyway. :D

That was the one I was afraid of losing. I did figure WTH and updated anyway. I'm pretty sure other than F@H, I wouldn't be using it at all.

That was the one I was afraid of losing. I did figure WTH and updated anyway. I'm pretty sure other than F@H, I wouldn't be using it at all.

F@H isn't part of OtherOS it's in the playstation@home or something thing at the bottom of the network stuff (I think, it's not hard to find)! :D

It really is a non issue that it was removed, you can tell all the people that complained about it's removal didn't actually use it to see it was teeerrible (and took up lots of HDD space on the early models :D)

the updates haven't really added that much stuff OS/stability wise (it's never really had many bugs of that nature though), it's mostly been Blu ray/HDMI updates for 3d/disk playback and stuff like that, along with the usual anti piracy firmwares which you'll need for the store.

You could have sold that PS3 for a pretty penny if you wouldn't have updated the OS...

You could have sold that PS3 for a pretty penny if you wouldn't have updated the OS...

Meh. I got it for free. I want to play the games I didn't get to before (and Last of Us looks good). I think I still came out ahead. :)

Back