PS3 Slim Repair Question

kage

n00b
About 3 weeks ago I bought the PS3 Slim at Target and about a few days after buying it, the PS3 was making popping/cracking noises every 10 minutes when its powered on and when it was powered off, the same noises started every 15 minutes for a total of 1 hour. On my Target receipt it states that returns are only valid for unopened items. Last week I sent my PS3 for service and I would like to know if I would get my system back or that Sony will ship me a refurbished PS3?

You should have taken it back to target and ask for a replacement. It doesn't matter if its opened, its defective within 30 days and would be an exchange not a return.

You will likely get a refurbished PS3 back.

You should have taken it back to target and ask for a replacement. It doesn't matter if its opened, its defective within 30 days and would be an exchange not a return.

You will likely get a refurbished PS3 back.
The Target receipt also states "All returns and exchanges must be new, unused, and contain all original packaging and accessories. A form of personal identification may be required. Some items cannot be returned if opened, including music, movies, video games, software and collectibles. Other restrictions may apply". I even called them and they stated the any defective item must be handled with the manufacturer and that they (Target) don't allow exchanges or returns on defective items because they are considered opened items.

The reason that I bought the PS3 from Target is that they were the only ones that had them in stock during the PS3 shortage last month.

If I do get a refurbished PS3, I'm wondering if Sony is going to add the remainder warranty from my PS3 that I shipped to them to the refurbished one. I know that the refurbished PS3's have a 90 day warranty.

Mine makes similar noises but I can reproduce the noises by squeezing the case with my hands gently or moving it around. It can also happen when the drive starts spinning up. The noises seem rather minor and it doesn't happen all the time so I am leaving mine alone.

solution is only buy from walmart in the future they take back opened hardware no prob.even if you dont have a recipt if they carry it it will be exchanged./ 30 day limit tho for refunds with reciept. never had to show ID either

You have a f'd up Target bro

My target allowed me to exchange my PS3 when it fell off the table at my house 2 weeks after purchasing. It was opened, and they had NO problems.

Go into target with the box and receipt, just tell them it stopped working and you need it replaced.

The Target receipt also states "All returns and exchanges must be new, unused, and contain all original packaging and accessories. A form of personal identification may be required. Some items cannot be returned if opened, including music, movies, video games, software and collectibles. Other restrictions may apply". I even called them and they stated the any defective item must be handled with the manufacturer and that they (Target) don't allow exchanges or returns on defective items because they are considered opened items.

The reason that I bought the PS3 from Target is that they were the only ones that had them in stock during the PS3 shortage last month.

If I do get a refurbished PS3, I'm wondering if Sony is going to add the remainder warranty from my PS3 that I shipped to them to the refurbished one. I know that the refurbished PS3's have a 90 day warranty.

You are trying way too hard to create a problem here by quoting the policy. Put the PS3 back in the box, drive it to Target, tell them it does not work and they will give you another one. This is not complicated.

If you called and ask them a question on the phone, you likely already loaded them up to give you the wrong answer.

It's the plastic casing expanding and shrinking, normal my Slim does it too.

pretty much all the slims do it as they heat up and cool off.....mine does it as well

pretty much all the slims do it as they heat up and cool off.....mine does it as well

Every 15 minutes for an hour? That doesn't sound like plastic expanding/contracting... Once the system has heated up, it shouldn't cool off enough to deform the plastic. Especially not every 15 minutes while it's running...

yes mine did it yesterday when I was applying the new update.....once my system is out of warranty I will fix it myself

Wait... you're saying there is a *fix* for plastic heating up and cooling down?

Anyways, my slim doesn't make the noise at all. At least I've never heard it... even when I was playing with the sound off to keep from waking my roommates.

yes you just take the pastic covers off and tweak them until you find the one that is popping (most likely the PSU and then use felt between the joints to quiet it down after removing any rough edges or molding marks

Back