ps3 rpg recommendations

Dome

2[H]4U
okay so now that this gen's games are winding down, i can get caught up with my ps3.

i got last of us on goldbox deal and it was such a steal. $25! anyhow i have a 360 too, and i play my dual console titles on it, so i'm looking for some good rpgs for ps3. i would say i like jrpgs but i haven't had good luck with the last few i've played. eternal sonata (i know it's for the 360), infinite undiscovery (i got a decent way in but then got bored) final fantasy 13 (same, when the open world opened up i got bored and other games came out) and star ocean the last hope.

i loved the mass effect games, final fantasy 7 (already own for my ps3), and on pc i played NWN a lot.

what are some JRPGs that have an interesting but not tedious fighting style, a good story, and non-annoying voice acting?

ps3 rpg recommendations

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Demons Souls, Dark Souls. They do well in the interesting combat department, but are not 'jrpgs' in the usual sense. Though, their developers are Japanese companies if that's any consolation.

Last edited:
Tales of Graces games are pretty good, Valkyria Chronicles is another solid choice like was said above.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Demons Souls, Dark Souls. They do well in the interesting combat department, but are not 'jrpgs' in the usual sense. Though, their developers are Japanese companies if that's any consolation.

Can we please please PLEASE combine Dragon's Dogma and Demons Souls? I'd wade through any difficult game that takes that combat system and puts it into a better game. Fuck that felt good.

As for RPGs... this was not a great generation for JRPGs. The western RPGs were more numerous and on average had higher sales. I blame Square Enix for dropping the ball on FF XIII.

Valkyria Chronicles for sure. I bought my PS3 for it and it's one of my favorite games ever.

Ni no Kuni is boring because of the boring enemies and the boring, extended battles.

There are the Atelier games if you like Gust. I'd recommend Ar Tonelico if they hadn't made it way too fanservicey for the third game (in a series already fanservicey).

Demons Souls. Also Dark Souls (which, IMO, has some of the most boring multiplayer in an RPG ever), though you can get it on other platforms - same deal with Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas.

There are some Disgaea games but the PS2 games are better.

Eternal Sonata is supposed to be good but I have yet to pick it up.

There are also some Tales games, including Vesperia if you are cool with playing the Japanese language version. Better than our X360 version.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips, i'll start by looking into valkyria chronicles.

When you get to Gran Pulse it can become confusing what to do exactly next. I highly reccomend buying the Brady Strategy Guide for it, and finishing FFXIII that game is godly! LOL! I swear I'm the only person who thinks FFXIII was the perfect combination of every traditional styled RPG at the time of its release :D maybe it wasn't but I think it's amazing! Without the guide I might have gotten frustrated and put it down too.

Ni no Kuni has amazing art and graphics just like FFXIII, but the battle system for me gets a wee bit monotonous (it's not creative enough for me) even though there are a numerous amount of familiars to find, only a few are worth battling with. I'm like 50 hours in and 80-90 % of the familiars seem to be under powered by others. It seems to me per genus there is only a couple worth "leveling" because the stats are unbalanced between most familiars, and the skills are common/re used overall. It's to much of a fire beats ice kind of gameplay dynamic for me sometimes. It could be a hit or miss recommendation but if you have PS+ this month it's selling for 9.99 I think. So that's definetly worth a buy if you like JRPG because it pulls from that style 100% imho. I don't regret getting it at all. It's maybe too traditional for my liking, but i wanted to support the first studio ghibli game for sure. I really wish all socializing was done with an audio driven/text combination as well or ability to turn off text. I'm to spoiled from FF13 audio+subtitles, and with so many cutscenes/audio used in that game that text annoys me usually now when it comes to modern RPG's.

Some PSN Oldschool PS1 Classic reccomendations if you're not completely opposed to older RPG's.

Grandia is 5.99 on PSN it's an older RPG.Traditional classic exciting battle system for its time, great use of audio. You can level weapons and spells which is cool! The game was produced by much of the same staff who worked on the company's previous role-playing endeavor, the Lunar series, and has the music composer Noriyuki Iwadare.

Xenogears on PSN. Mech/Gears+RPG PS1 classic. With a very interesting combo/combat system, and epic storyline.You might want to check out the video or here's a review. http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/xenogears

I've heard good things about Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross, never personally played them though.

RPG Hybrids

Tactical RPG
Arc The Lad - I personally like these battle systems, Shining Force esque but fast paced by Working Designs. They might not be for everyone though. There's a 2nd and 3rd as well.

Arcade RPG.
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara They say it's the definitive version of those Arcade Classics. 14.99 on the PS Network. A more modern take on that style would be Dragon's Crown by Atlus.

First combination of RPG Survival Horror I think?
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 are PS1 classic games.

There's a few un-modern RPG's for you to check into perhaps.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I enjoyed Valk Chronicle, the story was especially touching. But the gameplay.... Not bad, but once you got it down pat, it got REALLY easy. About halfway through it just clicked, and the battles just became a cheap easy chore to continue the story.

Yes.

ya maybe i'll get back into ff13, but it was just way too much of a shift from linear to wide open and there's too much to do all of a sudden.

ff7 was a really linear game but it felt wide open. older games were like this: build a big world, and just have plenty of "sorry you're not able to go in here' next to the side quests. to offer zero side quests and then in chapter 13 or 14 open up every side quest at once just threw me off. plus other games came out.

When you get to Gran Pulse it can become confusing what to do exactly next. I highly reccomend buying the Brady Strategy Guide for it, and finishing FFXIII that game is godly! LOL! I swear I'm the only person who thinks FFXIII was the perfect combination of every traditional styled RPG at the time of its release :D maybe it wasn't but I think it's amazing! Without the guide I might have gotten frustrated and put it down too.

Ni no Kuni has amazing art and graphics just like FFXIII, but the battle system for me gets a wee bit monotonous (it's not creative enough for me) even though there are a numerous amount of familiars to find, only a few are worth battling with. I'm like 50 hours in and 80-90 % of the familiars seem to be under powered by others. It seems to me per genus there is only a couple worth "leveling" because the stats are unbalanced between most familiars, and the skills are common/re used overall. It's to much of a fire beats ice kind of gameplay dynamic for me sometimes. It could be a hit or miss recommendation but if you have PS+ this month it's selling for 9.99 I think. So that's definetly worth a buy if you like JRPG because it pulls from that style 100% imho. I don't regret getting it at all. It's maybe too traditional for my liking, but i wanted to support the first studio ghibli game for sure. I really wish all socializing was done with an audio driven/text combination as well or ability to turn off text. I'm to spoiled from FF13 audio+subtitles, and with so many cutscenes/audio used in that game that text annoys me usually now when it comes to modern RPG's.

Some PSN Oldschool PS1 Classic reccomendations if you're not completely opposed to older RPG's.

Grandia is 5.99 on PSN it's an older RPG.Traditional classic exciting battle system for its time, great use of audio. You can level weapons and spells which is cool! The game was produced by much of the same staff who worked on the company's previous role-playing endeavor, the Lunar series, and has the music composer Noriyuki Iwadare.

Xenogears on PSN. Mech/Gears+RPG PS1 classic. With a very interesting combo/combat system, and epic storyline.You might want to check out the video or here's a review. http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/xenogears

I've heard good things about Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross, never personally played them though.

RPG Hybrids

Tactical RPG
Arc The Lad - I personally like these battle systems, Shining Force esque but fast paced by Working Designs. They might not be for everyone though. There's a 2nd and 3rd as well.

Arcade RPG.
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara They say it's the definitive version of those Arcade Classics. 14.99 on the PS Network. A more modern take on that style would be Dragon's Crown by Atlus.

First combination of RPG Survival Horror I think?
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 are PS1 classic games.

There's a few un-modern RPG's for you to check into perhaps.

While those are good recommendations, I would imagine he might be talking about games made for the PS3. There's a fair chance that if he's asking about RPGs for the PS3 he might already be well versed on PS and PS2 RPGs.

I actually really enjoyed FF13 as well...AND FF13-2. However, I'm someone who really liked FFX-2, so take that as you will.

I actually really enjoyed FF13 as well...AND FF13-2. However, I'm someone who really liked FFX-2, so take that as you will.

I really really loved the FFX-2 game play, but I just couldn't get over the girly stuff. Thinking of giving it another shot with the HD release.

I loved both FFXIII and FFXIII-2, I bet like half of the people that hate on this game didn't even give it a fair shot and just copy paste what other haters say.

Can't wait to play FFXIII-3.

I really really loved the FFX-2 game play, but I just couldn't get over the girly stuff. Thinking of giving it another shot with the HD release.

I'll readily admit it was cheesy as hell, but beyond that the story was okay and the battle system was quite good.

I GUESS Dragons Dogma is good I couldn't get into it though it's about RPG as you can get with the PS3 everything else is action RPG.

I recommend

Demon souls

Dark Souls

Dante's inferno

Kane and Lynch not RPG but it's a funny game =)

Red Dead redemption

These clowns don't know what they are talking about. Why are you recommending Demon and Dark Souls to this poor guy? Good games but really doesn't sound like his cup of tea.

Go do yourself a favor and play FF6 if you haven't yet. Way better than FF7.

As for a game to play on PS3 that gives you similar type of enjoyment play The Walking Dead.

Ni no Kuni and Valkyrie Chronicles are closer to the game type you are after but they are simplar par.

As for a game to play on PS3 that gives you similar type of enjoyment play The Walking Dead.

I never tried the game but that Demo that came out Dec. 18th has me very interested in http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-D...d=1387705598&sr=8-1&keywords=walking+dead+ps3 Half my family is hooked on that show watching re-runs on Netflix like a drug lmao! There's another title called Survival Instinct which looks terrible by Activision. The Telltale version I linked is the exciting one. It's difficult to tell if it will ever be coming to the PS4, but it looks like that game is a form of a certain shading technique like Cel but with some other tricks perhaps so it most likely will not improve much with a PS4 transfer. It's already 1080p on the PS3 so yeah, but I notice it is not as good of a seller as BEYOND: Two Souls which is terrible imho! Its sad when a greta game for that style of gameplay, and excellent story have trouble selling a million when there's 80 million ps3's sold lol! I'm personally surprised it hasn't...maybe to much hype for the show and not enough for the game. I personally think it's great game for a young teenager who's into the show on AMC as well, and a game that is heavily story based (which the great RPGs do this one looks to accomplish as well) but it will surely scare the younger gamer some. I don't think there's any stat building to the game or weapon upgrading type RPG elements. It's crafted after the show I think and excels at storytelling and character development to suck you into its game world. (and probably better than most JRPGs/RPGs do these days) The gameplay is user friendly imho and not to discouraging, especially for casuals or younger gamers.

Also there is an older game developed by Atlus called 3D Dot Game Heroes. It's a tribute to the very first LoZ for the NES 99% imo also a PS3 EXCLUSIVE. I think it sells for like 16-17 dollars on Amazon usually. It uses this very interesting graphics called Voxels and you can create/design your own character with these voxel blocks you can design Sonic the Hedgehog if you like, it's a really trippy action/rpg game. :eek: I personally need to play through Beyond Oasis on my Sonic Ultimate Sega collection (which has a lot of older Sega RPG's too) it's also an Action/RPG that didn't get a lot of love back in the day which is too bad. The soundtrack was also done by Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage/Eye of the Beholder SegaCD/ActraiserSNES soundtracks to name a few) before I go after 3D Dot game heroes, but when i get the time I'm gonna give it a buy I think. I just have a difficult time keeping up with all these games available on the PS3.

Back