PS3 overtakes 360 in Europe

No major surprise there... Europe is by far the strongest PS3 market. Outside of the UK the 360 is struggling massively.

What's odd is that so many are buying it despite getting screwed on price, launch date, content (PSN) and features (no full BC model, still no DS3).

So what is the attribute of it's success? Was Blu-ray that much of a selller?

So what is the attribute of it's success? Was Blu-ray that much of a selller?
Hard to tell. I never really got the DOA status over here that it did in the US because it launched much later with better games. That said, sales were pretty poor until they chopped £125 ($250) off the launch price.

Anecdotally? I know quite a few people who bought one for BR playback and a number of people that got one for GT5:p.

No major surprise there... Europe is by far the strongest PS3 market. Outside of the UK the 360 is struggling massively.

What's odd is that so many are buying it despite getting screwed on price, launch date, content (PSN) and features (no full BC model, still no DS3).

Yeah that's true, You think MS is worrying about the fact the PS3 is now the dominant "next gen" console for two out the three biggest markets ,being Japan and now Europe?

Hard to tell. I never really got the DOA status over here that it did in the US because it launched much later with better games. That said, sales were pretty poor until they chopped £125 ($250) off the launch price.
I totally agree that price cut with a game and a bluray movie a long with strong bluray movie titles and some good games being demod to death in the large PS3 Demo Units with 40" screens hit the sweet spot for most of us. Looks like us brits europeans really dont care about BC! A lot of people i know just sold the six axis and imported the DS3 also.
Still itsdam impressive considering the price and the launch gap. Well done to the psp aswell making a dint in the nintendo handheld market.

the reason why its getting popular because people are fed up with the rrod treatment of the 360's

No suprise here as MS as viewed badly in Europe for its anti-trust and other practices. Plus the PS3 has had a lot going for it as of late.

To add:
hopefully MS will wake up as they have been riding on it for far too long. They could have went for the kill on the PS3...

Just curious...how are things in places like South America & Australia/Oceanea?
I don't give a crap who "wins" but couldn't MS still come out ahead if they're 2nd place in Europe and Japan but North and South America still manage to outweigh that?
When I was last in Europe (prior to the PS3 launch) the 360 actually seemed pretty popular in all of the stores I went into. Is it not selling in comparison, or is it just flat-out not selling at all?
For the PS3 - what's the main selling point? Over here in the US, it's Blu-Ray, plus in some cases even just name recognition. I knew people that got the PS3 just because they knew the PS1 and PS2...and that was before most of the really good PS3 games hit. What's the main strategy Sony's using in Europe?

hopefully MS will wake up as they have been riding on it for far too long. They could have went for the kill on the PS3...
Not going to happen. The bean counters run the show now and they're happy making a profit.

Nothing to do with it, these European buyers never bought the 360 in the first place.

you be surprised. im from europe and quite a few of my mates have/planning to get a ps3 because 360's are failing miserably here. what does the 360 have in the future? gow2? thats it realy whilst the ps3 has Home which i recon if done right will completely pwne xbox LIVE, Then you have mgs4, killzone2, GT5 and a final fantasy game so all and all the ps3 has a bright future

UK. dont get me wrong, the 360 is a good console has i have one but recently purchased a ps3 because my 360 keeps breaking. buth the ps3 does have a bright future ahead of it

You do know that the 360 and PS3 sales in the UK are pretty much neck and neck right? In total (roughly) the 360 has sold 2.1m and the PS3 has sold 1.2m there.

Had you been from Italy or something like that I could have understood you saying the 360 was doing badly. :) Can totally understand getting rid of it if you're having problems with the console... but my point was that people in mainland Europe never really owned the console to have issues with it in the first place.

GT5. the intro for prologue is SICK.

that is why i bought a ps3 instead of xbox360 near gta4's launch date. xbox360 doesn't have any exclusive titles i'm interested in.

truth be told, i wouldn't have bought a ps3 without gta4 to drive my sale. other than gta4 and gt5 there is nothing going on in console world that would drive me away from my pc at this time.

blu-ray played a factor in my decision too, albeit a very small factor.

You do know that the 360 and PS3 sales in the UK are pretty much neck and neck right? In total (roughly) the 360 has sold 2.1m and the PS3 has sold 1.2m there.

Had you been from Italy or something like that I could have understood you saying the 360 was doing badly. :) Can totally understand getting rid of it if you're having problems with the console... but my point was that people in mainland Europe never really owned the console to have issues with it in the first place.

yea and its the 5th time my 360 broke too. i never intended on buying a ps3 till now when my 360 decided to break again whilst enjoying and playing gta4. next day i went off and bought a ps3 with gta has a bundle and got a free game with it too.

gt5 prolouge looks great and could be a good game to test out my g25 wheel

Yeah, because buying a 360 and "getting screwed" on RRoD failures, no high def drive, wifi, upgradable to the size you want HD, paying for live, etc. is better. See, two can play this game.

This is why the PS3 sales are skyrocketing right now, I mean come on who wouldn't want to get a shot at running in a No BS race car and get a legit license!!!!
Sales increased well in advance of that competition being announced.

Nice, if the Microsoft doesn't come out with a BR add-on drive for the 360, then I just might add another PS3 sale in the US.

In contrast, I'm impressed that Microsoft hit a home run with its first venture into the console world. But I guess that's easy if you throw enough money at it.

Yeah that's true, You think MS is worrying about the fact the PS3 is now the dominant "next gen" console for two out the three biggest markets ,being Japan and now Europe?

This makes me happy, I for one, don't want Microsoft in the game market.

Would like to see the Wii continue to do well, because some competition is needed to benefit consumers.

Nice, if the Microsoft doesn't come out with a BR add-on drive for the 360, then I just might add another PS3 sale in the US.

In contrast, I'm impressed that Microsoft hit a home run with its first venture into the console world. But I guess that's easy if you throw enough money at it.

Their first venture was a horrible failure, their second has been a much better go around but with problems still.

Yeah, because buying a 360 and "getting screwed" on RRoD failures, no high def drive, wifi, upgradable to the size you want HD, paying for live, etc. is better. See, two can play this game.
What the hell? Are you stupid?

I'm talking about how European PS3 fans get screwed compared to those in the US and Japan. Where did the 360 come into that?

This makes me happy, I for one, don't want Microsoft in the game market.

Would like to see the Wii continue to do well, because some competition is needed to benefit consumers.

Seriously?! Please tell me you're joking... :confused:

Well, if you don't like Microsoft don't support them. That's simple enough. However, they're going to provide WAY more competition against Sony then Nintendo will. I don't feel like getting into some sort of fanboy argument, with Wii fans (I have one too), but the core demographics are different. The hardware doesn't even compare! When it come to other features like online play, and multi-media, they're both taking completely different approaches!

Look how crappy online play was for the PS2. It was practically non-existent. Do you think PSN would be improving the way it has been if Xbox Live wasn't established the way it was nearly 6 years ago? No Xbox 360 and the PS3 might not have gone down from the 599.99 price tag it initially had, as quick as it did! With Nintendo, if Xbox Live didn't elevate console gaming to where it's at, they probably STILL wouldn't have ANY online play with the Wii. Remember their thoughts on online gaming for the GameCube?

You might not want Microsoft in the console market, but with Nintendo doing what it's doing, and Sega now out of hardware, somebody has to put pressure on Sony, and to an extent, Nintendo, so we keep moving forward. It benefits all of us.

The PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide ever since the end of November, it's just that in Europe the effect has been the greatest, even though the latter had a price cut a month ago.

My guess would be that people simply see the PS3 as a greater value due in large part to MS's failure to drop the price of the 360 in a timely manner. For just a bit more money than a Premium 360, you can get a PS3 that gives you free online play, wifi, a Blu-Ray player, a bigger hard drive, etc. Just to have online play and wifi for the 360 would cost another 150 dollars/euros.

MS should have cut the price of the 360 by 100 dollars/euros right before the launch of the PS3 and Wii, and it should have been $200-$250/euros right before last holiday season.

My guess would be that people simply see the PS3 as a greater value due in large part to MS's failure to drop the price of the 360 in a timely manner. For just a bit more money than a Premium 360, you can get a PS3 that gives you free online play, wifi, a Blu-Ray player, a bigger hard drive, etc. Just to have online play and wifi for the 360 would cost another 150 dollars/euros.

i have experinced buying both consoles and i have to say at the end of the day i felt a lot more raped by MS then i did Sony, once i bought all the add on's from MS that Sony provides, i was a easy 200-$250 over the price of my PS3.

Now don't get me wrong i like both systems, but there is no one on this planet that can say MS gives you better value for the system, in any market and keep a straight face, game libray and XBL aside the 360 is the mush bigger investment..

Sure the 360 sells slightly less but you pay for all the add ons. Sony gives them to you.

I sold my 360 earlier this year so that I could buy a PS3. Im from the UK by the way.

I personally think the 360 is poor value compared to a PS3... once you take into account wifi (essential unless your router is next to your TV!), online gaming fees for MS LIVE (a joke). Those two alone add another £95 to the price of the 360 in its first year. Then I was sure my 360 was going to die from RROD or DVD drive failure. Plus it couldnt play any HD content like BlueRay or HDDVD (without shelling out £££). And I am one of those who thinks MS LIVE is not worth £35 a year for by any stretch of the imagination... The 360 was also noisy ! And upgrading the HD should you want to on the 360 is daylight robbery... with no option of using any lube whilst they take your money. Unbelievable.

Nope... every way I looked at it, the PS3 was better value for money than the 360. All the games I wanted were now out for the PS3, including some I couldnt get on the 360.

My.... how things have changed. I agree that in the early release days of the PS3.. it was too expensive, and the Sony delays were screwing us over... but now its a different story. Even with the recent price cuts on the 360 side, it doesnt have much going for it to be honest.

All it has is the relatively large installed base of customers, so its future is assured, as friends of those with 360's will also be tempted to pick them up too. Fools!

Their first venture was a horrible failure, their second has been a much better go around but with problems still.

Financially it probably looked bad, but really, is there a way to break into this market without being prepared to lose a bunch of cash? I mean, they only had Sony and Nintendo to compete with. Financial disaster, maybe, but it was an investment well made; Xbox 1 had a decent selection of exclusives, successfully launched the first fully integrated online gaming network, and ultimately prefaced the Xbox360's success.

Back