PS3 impressions. Let's hear what you think!

I have a 42" 1080p lcd from westinghouse, I use the hdmi connection for the ps3, Talladega Nights is not a great demo for Blue-Ray, but that is my only real complaint.

Resistance is a lot of fun, the online portion runs amazingly well, especially on large games with 40 people.

Motorstorm is fun and looks amazing, can't wait for more vehicles and tracks.

F1 is beautiful, I didn't think I would like it but I really did, I may just buy it when it comes out.

Blast Factor looks amazing at 1080p, love it.

Lemmings was fun, nothing spectacular.

Gengi looks great, but the camera control (none) makes it basically unplayable, shame. I am not a button masher fan anyway.

I am disappointed in the other media features, the fact that my tivo can stream music and pictures over the lan but my 'all-in-one digital entertainment center' can't is ridiculous. This is a major problem that needs to be addressed asap. And don't get me started on the video piece.

Overall, it is very pretty, shiny, hot but not loud, and I am eagerly anticipating more games (march).

My overall impressions so far are that I love the system but am not using it much right now. Resistance is really fun but that's the only game I've bought. In a few months things will pick up (as with any console launch) and I'll play it a lot more.

I did plug my iPod into one of the USB ports, and it recognized it as an iPod. I was given a message saying that there was no music on it though, which was kind of disappointing.

Hey Jiffylush,
I've heard a couple of peeps at avsforums having issues (sparkles) with 1080p over hdmi with the 42" westy. What version of the 42" westy do you have (firmware)?
I have version 1.16 for my 42" westy and i have yet to try 1080p over hdmi since i don't have a source for it yet.

the ps3 is so far giving me no troubles. its clean and it works great the only thing i hate about it is that games are 60 bucks and when u buy a controller it doesn't come with a charging cable

I just hooked up my PS3 tonight to my 2407FPW using hdmi _> DVID and it looks stunning... Can't wait to finishing updating and changing settings. Madden should be here before the end of the week too.

Just updated to new firmware, some of the 480i games that displayed some jaggies are fixed and looks like it would look like on a PS2, one less thing to hear people complain about. To celebrate I went and purchased Metal Gear Solid 3 substenance, It was so difficult finding the substenance version, went to several stores, no luck, not even eb games and babbages had it, on my trips looking for it I did manage to purchase the only official sony component cable left and it was only for $20. I did find metal gear 3 snake eater (original release) on sale for $5 at target, I left it, did not want it. Finally scored mgs3 substenance new at sears for $30.
Why was I willing to pay more for the substenance version?
Online play, more ape scape levels, extra secret theater mode, rescue missions, sneak missions, mode that lets you 1 on 1 with bosses, extra modes, they added a better camera, old one was top view 3rd person and first person, new one includes extra mode that it's normal 3rd person view that's behind you not above you far away, makes it easier to move around, played the old version at my friends, it's hell moving around the forest specially when there's no radar and it's a big open space, on old ones it worked mgs1,2 because it was smaller indoor levels. I think my investment was worth it. Maybe I should have bought the $5 mgs3 ver and sold it on e-bay but it's a pain in the rear to deal with that just to make a few dollars, my friend is trying to unload his for $10, but everyone know substenance is better.

My overall impressions so far are that I love the system but am not using it much right now. Resistance is really fun but that's the only game I've bought. In a few months things will pick up (as with any console launch) and I'll play it a lot more.

I did plug my iPod into one of the USB ports, and it recognized it as an iPod. I was given a message saying that there was no music on it though, which was kind of disappointing.

When it shows the iPod on the XMB, press triangle on it and "Display All" in order to view the folders, and the music within.
Hint: iPods store their music in the iPod_Control folder.

As a quick addendum to this thread, I'd like to mention that Sony's RMA process for the PS3 is the best I've ever experienced. My PS3 died last Saturday and after going through the return/repair process I should have a new one in had only 7 days later. Compared to the nightmares I've experienced with PC parts, I think that's commendable.
Yup, it's lousy my HDMI port killed itself, but I think it's great the way it was handled.

That is if you actually get it in time :).

I guess since PS 3 don´t sell very well they have a lot of spare consoles to ship.

Would be cool to try out but in Europe you get two Xbox premiums and a couple of games for one PS 3 lol

I got mine (well, a new replacement) back today. 6day turn-around with them paying for next day air 3 times in one week is pretty impressive.

Anyway, as for game visuals - Motorstorm looks AMAZING in 720p. No clue how 1080i/1080p people feel, but the demo looks as good as any game I've ever seen.

Resistance does look a little ho-hum. Looks more or less just like Call of Duty 2 (on the 360) in all honesty. While that's not bad, for a the flagship title it's a little weak.

GT:HD is also amazing looking, but a 1-level demo doesn't really do it for me. I've never really played the older ones much, but I prefer the whole 10-car chaotic arcade style racers like the early Need for Speed games.

Genji looks great while sitting still, but in motion there's a whole lot of blurring and it almost looks like the designers went nuts with a larger color palette. The less said about the camera the better, too. This is a definite renter at best.

i'm running the motorstorm demo in 1080p and it does look amazing. these demos are great; i may never have to buy the games. ;)

Been playin that Demo as well, lookin forward to the full release the game looks awesome

I got one of the first runs of the 60GB with Talledega nights (didnt actually buy one, trade a car for it), aside from the lack of titles right now (none of the ones out now ive bought) i like the system, Some of the demos are cool and some games coming out ill be picking up (thanks to those demos) and i figured i got a 360 and a Wii might as well have the new gaming trifecta :D
I really like the bult in WiFi
Game play (from what ive played in Demos) looks awesome
Alot less noisy then my 360 (the thing is dead silent)
Cool interface
Classic controls (no new layout to get used to)
Cant go wrong with Black and chorme :D

Don't have a PS3 yet...have a question about FPS, are the FPS fixed so stay the FPS at a certain level, like Vsync with a PC system ??

I am dutch, hope you know what I mean...Gran Turismo would be 30FPS if I am correct ??

Forgot is it possible to use my ViewSonic LCD with a PS3 ????

Hans.

Don't have a PS3 yet...have a question about FPS, are the FPS fixed so stay the FPS at a certain level, like Vsync with a PC system ??

I am dutch, hope you know what I mean...Gran Turismo would be 30FPS if I am correct ??

Forgot is it possible to use my ViewSonic LCD with a PS3 ????

Hans.

While playing R:FoM I rarely noticed a frame rate drop... if ever.... Vsync is supposed to pre-vent tearing? I didn't see any tearing going on while playing with fast movements.

GT:HD looks nice, and I would only asume it runs at 30FPS if not more :)

Resistance has tearing in some areas, but none in others. Kinda like Gears of War. I guess tearing is really only an issue when your framerate and the refresh rate don't match...or something like that. One way or another, vsync clearly isn't on...or at least it's not always on.
Still, other games (like Grand Tourismo HD, Motorstorm, Tekken: DR, VF5, Ridge Racer, etc.) all DO have vsnyc on and never tear.

Back