PS3 impressions. Let's hear what you think!

lesman

2[H]4U
As per the title, it's that time again! Let's hear what you think. Keep it clean, no whining/bickering/flaming/anything that will get the thread closed.

I've played motorstorm several times. The first time I played was at a Target with the screen about 5 inches from my face. At the time, I thought wow, this is friggin terrible. However I happened to find myself in gamestop and decided to give it another go since the store was empty. This time the controls were loose so I could get myself a good 2-1/2ft away from the screen. It made a world of difference. It also helped tremendously that gamestop decided to have the volume turned up and I could hear it well. Unfortunately I was still playing the same game so it was just as boring as the first time. Also, the game suffered from some pretty bad jaggies at both locations. I will say that it ran incredibly smooth and looked just as good as any game on the xbox 360 kiosks.

After playing the game I am confident that sony has built a competent gaming machine. I'm sure the systems will suffer from failures though as I've already witnessed one frozen machine. I also have a friend at best buy that says their ps3 has overheated and locked up at least twice within the first few days it was on display. But, just like the 360 I'm sure it's a rather isolated incident that won't happen nearly as often with home users.

All that said I certainly won't be plunking down 500 bucks for the console anytime soon. No offense to anyone that is. I'll wait for a massive price drop and for a good assortment of games that I want to play. Until then I'll be catching up on games from the gamecube and ps2.

I played motorstorm at target. The game didn't seem half bad but the framerate kept dropping which made the game feel unpolished.

The controller feels lighter and the PS3 button in the center doesn't feel easy to get to and use (seems like they just copied off the XBox 360 without taking their own design into consideration as they could have shaped it and placed it much better).

I got to play MotorStorm at Target and was extremely underwelmed. Those frame rate problems have no business being in a game demo being used to promote a $600 system.

As for the controller, i missed the rumble more than I thought i would, even being a Wavebird user.

I played at target today (11/14) and was actually really impressed with it. I though did notice the lack of AA and AF, but didnt think it was nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I went to target originally to get a PS2 wireless controller since everywhere else i look they are sold out of them, and i dont want to not be able to get one anymore (since i dont think ill be getting a PS3 until March sometime).

Overall i played around with some of the stuff and was really impressed with it, though they needed to turn up the contrast on the HD TV, oh and i crashed the PS3 twice while i was playing. No big deal, i felt the glass it was behind and it was hot to the touch. So i figured being under those lights it was getting pretty hot. It was not in a normal kiosk like at Best Buy but just setup in the locked game case.

I played MotorStorm and wasn't really impressed. I wasn't exactly disappointed though, it just felt so...blah. The one thing I was disappointed in was the textures on the coarse. I only played through one track then left, it was kinda boring to be honest. It's hard to tell what's the game is going to be like from a demo though.

Wow, seems like Target is the place for everything. I also played it last night at Target.
My first impression was not very good. The game felt like it was running in slow motion, but it got better once the race got going. (All the cars NOT on the screen at once.)

Controls were pretty loose, and the blurring is ridiculous. (I am assuming that is intentional.) The game still feels like its running in slow-mo, with all that blurring.
Not Impressed. The whole time I couldnt help but wonder what the extra $200 were for.

Ironically, noone in the store came near the PS3. I played it for about 10 minutes before I lost interest, and noone else came to try it out.

I tried out motorstorm & I wasn't to thrilled with it. It may be end up being the racer of choice early on for the PS3 until the next gen GT, whether it be GT HD or whatever they dedide to call it. comes out. I really didn't like the controller to much. It is indeed much lighter & I almost felt I would break a button trying to press them to hard =P. Could be also cus my mind was 100% convinced that it was a merged Xbox 360/Wii controller with the same controllerdesign & logo slapped on. Its still the same design we've come to to know, just the much lighter weight would take some time getting use to. Im holding off my purchase of the console until more intresting & exclusive titles comes to the system. It's decent, just not worth the $600 atm. It would be a bragging rights purchase for me if I was to buy it at the launch.

-DarkLegacy

Kind of interesting that they don't have a demo of a game you could actually buy at or near launch. You assume they'd go with something like a demo of Resistance or RR7.

I dont think any of the launch games are that appealing....

I also played it @ Target....wasn't too impressed w/ it.

I played MotorStorm at target and though I dug some of the graphical effects displayed, for the most part most of the game's textures were pretty bland. Props to the PS3 for being able to cope with all those particle effects though. I'd have to say overall I got pretty bored fairly quickly with this title. Not the PS3's fault. I just felt no impetus to even finish 1 race.

I was disappointed with Motorstorm. With all the hype Motorstorm was getting from Sony, internet blogs, forums, and previews I thought it would look a lot better. The textures were low quality, there was no AA or AF, the frame rate had slow downs and in general the game just felt like another generic racing game. Nothing really stood out about the game.

The PS3 itself seemed like a decent system, but I just cant see where the $600 price tag comes in. I just finished single player of Gears of War. So, maybe my expectations are too high for PS3 launch games.

PS. I played the system at Target, too.

To be fair, and although I'm not sure why Sony did this, Motorstorm in the kiosks is not a final build.

I too was underwhelmed with NBA07 and Motorstorm. They didn't jump out at me like I thought it would. Motorstorm did look pretty bland, and I found my self getting bored quick. But I'm still camping for one to sell and also one for my self.

I'm waiting until sometime next year to buy a PS3 since I've read too many negative reports regarding reliabilty/manufacturing problems that will filter down to the consumer at launch. Yes ...I know I can purchase an extended warranty, but I don't want the hassle like I had with the Xbox 360. This will be the first time since the Mattel "Intellivision" that I haven't bought a launch system. I'm also passing on the Wii at launch for a different reason.

Javvis said:
I'm waiting until sometime next year to buy a PS3 since I've read too many negative reports regarding reliabilty/manufacturing problems that will filter down to the consumer at launch. Yes ...I know I can purchase an extended warranty, but I don't want the hassle like I had with the Xbox 360. This will be the first time since the Mattel "Intellivision" that I haven't bought a launch system. I'm also passing on the Wii at launch for a different reason.
I'm interested in impressions from people playing the system only.

Let's not fill this thread with conjecture about a game that you haven't even seen in your hands.

friedchicken said:
I'm interested in impressions from people playing the system only.

Let's not fill this thread with conjecture about a game that you haven't even seen in your hands.

i seriously thought that the system looked awsome! Great graphics, etc. But the lack of AA was disappointing. But what can you do? Motosport or what ever it was called was pretty fun, i think what a lot of the people are talking about in the "frame rate drop" really is a feature of the game where it kinda goes into slow motion for a second or two when you are about to hit a jump, or do somthing special. I really liked the collision damage stuff, i love seeing parts fly off my vehicle when i ram into a rock! Its sweet! But as i said before the system did crash on me twice, but the glass it was behind was hot to the touch, so it was probibly overheating, due to being under a ton of lights in the non standard Target Kiosk.

After i played for a while i went over to play some NCAA Football on the Xbox 360, but it had the red ring of death flashing on it, so i was not able to compare the graphics to eachother within a short time period. When i first played the 360 on an HDTV i was blown away by how it looked (im not an xbox fan by any means). But the thing that kills it for me with the xbox is the damn controller, i have played hte NCAA Football demo before and just could not overcome my handycap with the controler to enjoy the game, but i go home and play NCAA Football 2005 on my PS2 and can kick butt... If i were able to use a PS2 controler with an xbox i would get one.

But its just little things like that, or having a memory card reader, or web browser, etc. I would like to be able to check my email without turning on my comptuer real quick before i go to bed or somthing like that after a night of playing games or what ever, or looking for cheat codes without firing up the beasty computer. The only thing that is missing from the PS3 is a betamax player and a minidisc slot! lol...

spotdog14 said:
Motosport or what ever it was called was pretty fun, i think what a lot of the people are talking about in the "frame rate drop" really is a feature of the game where it kinda goes into slow motion for a second or two when you are about to hit a jump, or do somthing special.
I didn't notice any slow motion effects in the game. Besides, I saw framerate drops when I was just driving forward, turning, or after I wrecked and I was sitting still for a few seconds. It happened when all of the other vehicles were visible on the screen.

I just hope this gets cleared up for the final version since this one isn't the final build of the game.

I'm surprised the lack of AA would be that big of a problem for 1920x1080 unless we're talking about the largest of screens. I've found that at 1920x1200 on a 24" PC screen when AA is off it really isn't that big of a deal compared to the lower resolutions. And you're sitting pretty close to the screen. Maybe AA just isn't as important to me as others here.

Well, I just got back from BB and playing motosport on PS3.

What can I say? My first impression was that the game was running really choppy, but that was the first 5 seconds before I hit the boost button. The game itself was pretty fun, but I don't see myself spending $600 on this system. I didnt even bother with the rest of the demos.

Well, I just got back from BB and playing motosport on PS3.

What can I say? My first impression was that the game was running really choppy, but that was the first 5 seconds before I hit the boost button. The game itself was pretty fun, but I don't see myself spending $600 on this system. I didnt even bother with the rest of the demos.

Also, the triggers felt kind of funny and too soft to the touch.

A couple of my thoughts on PS3.

For the love of god people, unless you want bragging rights or like paying a bunch more than you have to, go for the cheaper version. You save $100.00 and still have all of the important functionality intact. Of course, if you care about wifi or having a media card reader that's another story. Hard drive capacity isn't an issue since you can pocket the $100, spend about half of it on a bigger hard drive and wind up better off. :)

Also, I don't plan on getting one at launch. Partly because I don't have the money (I'm a student with almost no income), but also because it just makes more sense not to be an early adopter of any console. Hardware may have problems, game library isn't what it could be and will be within a year after launch (look at how beautiful Gears of War looks on the 360 compared to some of the launch games like Perfect Dark Zero) and though not at likely as the other two things happening, the price *might* drop. At least a bit.

I'm really looking forward to get a PS3 when I can. The PlayStation platform has had the biggest and (to me personally) best library of games of all the 3 "still in the fight" consoles and I expect that trend to continue with the PS3.

There's my love and advice for now. :)

Played motosport at Best Buy, and I'm also in the underwhelmed camp. The choppiness was one issue, but I'm assuming (hoping?) that this is isolated to the demo and worked out in actual games. The graphics, however, weren't that impressive for the hype. Maybe it's just years of being a cutting-edge PC owner and expecting too much out of a console, but the game graphically reminded me of the auto sequence in 3DMark 2001. Will be waiting until FF XIII is released before considering one.

Played for awhile, seemed fine. Wasn't expecting much since kiosk games are usually shitty in the first place and playing on that tiny as screen was not fun. But the game looked decent for the first game I ever played on a PS3 and the controller was light but seemed fine. I am very used to the PS2 controller so I love that its the same form factor. I never enjoyed XBOX controllers.

Lots of people here are complaining about AA but I really don't see it as a big deal.

I am looking forward to other releases and getting my own PS3 mid next year or maybe earlier.

Cheers

I played the Motorstorm demo at Wal-Mart for about 30 minutes today. I was able to complete both the All Truck and Anything Goes (you're limited to a motorcycle) races, both of which are on the same track.

While fun, this game is a very simple arcade-racer and is really nothing new. It doesn't really have to be though, and the shiny new coat of paint really adds to the experience. However that shiny-coat wasn't without it's scratches, it didn't quite live up to expectations I had, and it's certainly not living up to the bullshit CGI supercomputer visuals Sony want you to believe the PS3 can push. There was a fair amount of aliasing and certain parts of the terrain still looked very "polygonal", not as smooth and realistic as I would have expected.

I wasn't a big fan of the control scheme, it worked just fine but it didn't feel very intuitive. Something about using O for handbrake while using the right trigger for gas didn't click with me, it put my hand in a very awkward position. I wasn't overly impressed with the new triggers on the PS3 pad either. I got used to them, but they don't really have any resisitance, giving very little feedback. Whereas a traditional trigger, as found on the Dreamcast and Xbox360, pushes back when you let up on it, like a gas pedal, I found the PS3 trigger's to be a lot more loose, and pushing it down felt more akin to flipping a switch.

The only really major downfall was the game's sense of speed, or lack thereof. Not only do you often feel like you're moving along at a snail's pace, but this problem is exacerbated by a lot of framerate slowdown. I realize this is just a demo, but with all the hype surrounding the PS3 you'd hope this wouldn't be an issue. When more than 5 trucks were on the screen with me, I felt like I was playing the game in slow-mo. When this happened I held down on the turbo and didn't let go, hoping to get the other trucks off the screen as quickly as possible so I could regain some sense of speed. This problem was a lot less evident while using the motorcycle, and the overall sense of speed was greatly improved too. Unfortunately I didn't find the motorcyle portion to be as much fun because I'm a very aggressive driver and enjoy smashing and bumping into other vehicles. Obviously this wasn't an option on the motorcyle unless you're looking to see your driver crushed under the tire of a rival racer's dune buggy, which will prevent you from placing in first but is still a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

I don't know if this was intended, but I have trouble believing it wasn't, the description under one of the racing events was "Massive Damage". I chuckled inwardly at that one.

Overall Motorstorm was fun, but something we've seen a million times before. Hopefully it's technical shortcomings are overcome by the time it launches because it should be a hell of a lot of fun for people who enjoy arcade racers.

REALLY a bad idea to crap a moderators thread after he specifically asked you not too.

I'd suggest if you like your posting rights the way they are you don't do that and adhere to the rules.

Slartibartfast said:
They weren't too impressed, but they kept comparing it to the 360, which I think is a little unfair.
Isn't that pretty much the only comparison they can make? The PS3 has to live up to its billing as the next gen to justify the extra price and hype.

Psychotext said:
Isn't that pretty much the only comparison they can make? The PS3 has to live up to its billing as the next gen to justify the extra price and hype.

Yeah, but I'm saying that the 360 has had some time to mature. It seems like a lot of their complaints were with the online aspect, which is certainly (one would hope, anyway) in its early stages.

But yes, from an "immediate buy" standpoint, you are correct.

I think it was a very positive review. Especially if you read the conclusion. I've certainly seen a lot less complimentary stuff written. :)

Slartibartfast said:
Yeah, but I'm saying that the 360 has had some time to mature. It seems like a lot of their complaints were with the online aspect, which is certainly (one would hope, anyway) in its early stages.

But yes, from an "immediate buy" standpoint, you are correct.

that is the whole thing though, last year all the hype was to wait for the ps3 cause the 360 isnt truly next-gen and that the ps3 will indeed outperform the 360 so just wait wait wait... but once it is here, now it is... its not fair, the 360 has had a year to mature..

the ps3 is not that impressive right now, I am positive that within a year or two it will be, and more readily available (i will probably get one at some point) but then the 360 will still be ahead of the ps3 right?

I don't think the review was either positive or negative. It seemed to make fair observations.

Tetrahedron said:
that is the whole thing though, last year all the hype was to wait for the ps3 cause the 360 isnt truly next-gen and that the ps3 will indeed outperform the 360 so just wait wait wait... but once it is here, now it is... its not fair, the 360 has had a year to mature..

the ps3 is not that impressive right now, I am positive that within a year or two it will be, and more readily available (i will probably get one at some point) but then the 360 will still be ahead of the ps3 right?
The PS3 should catch up fairly quickly... the 360 will hit a max (if it hasn't already with Gears).

VoodooChi|d said:
I don't think the review was either positive or negative. It seemed to make fair observations.
There were certainly negatives, but I think the final paragraph said it all.

But will the PS3 be worth it in the end? There can't be a doubt. At a base level, Sony has achieved every function essential for this system to compete with the 360. You can argue the finer points, but if you suggest that the PS3 isn't exactly what it needs to be, you're simply wrong. It's the inheritor of the PlayStation legacy, and it's also a system that is a technical powerhouse and an attractive one, too. The PS3 is a must-buy – eventually. But is it worth $600 and a night in a parking lot? Not a chance.

You could probably say that they were critical of the price, but then I think common sense says that you can wait and get it cheaper... just depends how eager you are.

[One other thing, I think we have a long way to go on both the consoles and CliffyB agrees with me (he states that they only managed to scratch the surface of the 360s power by the time they finished gears and that they're learning new things about the PS3 all the time)]

VoodooChi|d said:
The PS3 should catch up fairly quickly... the 360 will hit a max (if it hasn't already with Gears).

well considering CliffyB of Epic said Gears is not even near what the 360 can do, and given Epic did deliver on the promise and hype of Gears.. I am going to have to believe Cliffy on this. :)

I am not saying that ps3 wont be able to catch or even pass the 360, I am sure it has the necessary hardware to do it... its gonna be the devs and software that leads the charge.. time will tell.

I am looking forward to getting a ps3 hopefully in spring... I am very interested in alternative OS installation for the ps3.. this impresses me.

Back