PS3 Hacked - apparently

Wary of link-spam... clicked anyways!

:eek::D

edit: This happened tomorrow morning! Sounds cool.

Sorry for the time travel link :p

Apart from the H/W backwards compatibility, didnt sony have a S/w version for a short time too?

I'm sure I've read similar news over a year ago iirc. Meh until it can actually perform something tangible.

A long way to go... if it even ends up happening at all.

Not really the hard part is over... once the system is unlocked it is all down hill from there. It will only take a matter of weeks for someone to create a "Hello World" app on it and then the homebrew and custom firmware will flow in from there. If they could do a fraction of what they can do on the PSP scene on the PS3 then this is going to be fun and a huge deal :)

I hope this develops into the second coming of Xbox Media Center. The PS3 is the perfect device for it, already sporting Blu-ray and wifi.

Not really the hard part is over... once the system is unlocked it is all down hill from there. It will only take a matter of weeks for someone to create a "Hello World" app on it and then the homebrew and custom firmware will flow in from there. If they could do a fraction of what they can do on the PSP scene on the PS3 then this is going to be fun and a huge deal :)
It's not unlocked though. He's past the first layer of security... something that had been done as far back as 2008.

It's not unlocked though. He's past the first layer of security... something that had been done as far back as 2008.

This is the same claim everybody makes when something is first made progress with hacking... :rolleyes: when are people going to learn that nothing is unhackable. This is the same kid that hacked the iPhone which was suppose to be unhackable :rolleyes: and he has only been working on this for five weeks. Think of what he can accomplish in another five weeks.

Here is a quote from his blog:

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

give it up the PS3 has been hacked....

I will get excited when something tangible comes out of this. I am not entirely convinced this will lead to really opening up the PS3 in a manner that people can utilize (IE, running home brew apps, PS2 compatibility, unlocking the GPU for Linx, media center apps...).

Hacking something and producing something usable as a result of the hack are completely different things.

Like Psychotext touched on, similar claims were made last year, just before Home launched.

Nothing tangible came from that claim and I'm not expecting anything tangible to come from this latest announcement.

Show me something I can execute and benefit from on the PS3 under my TV and I'll agree, the system's been hacked. As of right now, I'll consider the process still ongoing.

I don't think anyone here is disputing the possibility of a PS3 being hacked.

I will get excited when something tangible comes out of this. I am not entirely convinced this will lead to really opening up the PS3 in a manner that people can utilize (IE, running home brew apps, PS2 compatibility, unlocking the GPU for Linx, media center apps...).

Hacking something and producing something usable as a result of the hack are completely different things.

True but how many times has a console been hacked and then nothing came out of it? It is a process and this is a first huge step forward. It is not like he hacked it and gave up lol he already got around the isolated SPEs which people where claiming would stop him....

Like Psychotext touched on, similar claims were made last year, just before Home launched.

Nothing tangible came from that claim and I'm not expecting anything tangible to come from this latest announcement.

Show me something I can execute and benefit from on the PS3 under my TV and I'll agree, the system's been hacked. As of right now, I'll consider the process still ongoing.

I don't think anyone here is disputing the possibility of a PS3 being hacked.

Being able to control the PS3 means it is hacked... making the hack user friendly so you can execute code on it is a different story and will happen in the coming months.

This is the same claim everybody makes when something is first made progress with hacking... :rolleyes: when are people going to learn that nothing is unhackable. This is the same kid that hacked the iPhone which was suppose to be unhackable :rolleyes: and he has only been working on this for five weeks. Think of what he can accomplish in another five weeks.

give it up the PS3 has been hacked....
See what another hacker has to say on his accomplishments so far: http://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2010/01/ps3-is-hacked-urban-legend-continues.html

True but how many times has a console been hacked and then nothing came out of it? It is a process and this is a first huge step forward. It is not like he hacked it and gave up lol he already got around the isolated SPEs which people where claiming would stop him....

Look at how far the XBox 360 hacking went, not very far and that has been hacked for a long time. Can you install you own apps or anything on it? No. Can you run a modified XBox 360 OS on it? Nope... So far all the 360 "hacks" have amounted to is running game backups, which is illegal and not something a lot of people are interested in.

Look at how far the XBox 360 hacking went, not very far and that has been hacked for a long time. Can you install you own apps or anything on it? No. Can you run a modified XBox 360 OS on it? Nope... So far all the 360 "hacks" have amounted to is running game backups, which is illegal and not something a lot of people are interested in.

LOL guess you never heard of the XeXMenu project.... http://xedev.xbins.org/ which allows you to install a custom OS on the 360...

That's not actually true ocellaris. You can run homebrew on the 360, you just need a very specific version of the console to do it.

That's not actually true ocellaris. You can run homebrew on the 360, you just need a very specific version of the console to do it.

Which means few people can use it and the whole thing is trivial. I believe XeXLoader only worked on early 360s without firmware updates, so it certainly never became an option for the masses interested in this.

Last edited:
He's updated.

Here's your silver platter
In the interest of openness, I've decided to release the exploit. Hopefully, this will ignite the PS3 scene, and you will organize and figure out how to use this to do practical things, like the iPhone when jailbreaks were first released. I have a life to get back to and can't keep working on this all day and night.

Actually, there's a LOT you can do with a hacked Xbox. Sadly, there's not as much development as there used to be as the hack necessary (JTAG) is difficult hardware wise, requires certain equipment, certain drives, and if you updated to a version of the dashboard after August 2009, they patched the software hole for part of it so it won't work.

If Sony plays their cards correctly, they'll be rolling in dough! When a console is moddable/hackable, it sells on that premise as well. The original playstation, PS2 are great examples of this, but the very best of all is the PSP. The PSP was by many measurements, a failure compared to the Nintendo DS. It was technologically advanced, but both it and its games cost more. UMD was another failed sony proprietary format and was generally hated by the public. Its games library had some clear winners (ie Disgaea series, other Japanese RPGs, MGS Portable Ops) but was outshined by the inferior tech DS.

Then came the firmware hacks. Suddenly it could emulate a GameBoy Advance (something big for DSi-users that can't play GBA titles anymore). It can play PSOne games, even if they're not downloaded from the PS3, meaning you can "rip your own" titles and play them on the go. There are tons of homebrew apps from better media players to wardriving. You can play ISOs or CSOs off memory sticks, which (while still a proprietary sony kind of thing) are far more accessible than UMDs. There are some of my favorites - UNDUBs where audio from a Japanese title is inserted into an American version instead, when developers don't see fit to include both languages. The latest hacked firmware keep all this goodness, but also allow you to use all the standard Console functions (ie. PS3 connectivity, online play, PSX download play etc..)!

If Sony is smart and only bans actual CHEATERS from its online service, as opposed to microsoft's bans for any modifications/piracy at all they will be able to collect all of those banned Xbox users (Over a million of them just from last Nov) and convert them to PS3 owners! On a more personal note the hacks can't come fast enough - Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII are coming and all signs point to the horrible english dub the only one available for the West. I hope Sony will kindly "look the other way" and much like the PSP and even the Wii, leave the modding community alone. They'll be rewarded handsomely in console and game sales.

If Sony plays their cards correctly, they'll be rolling in dough! When a console is moddable/hackable, it sells on that premise as well.

Sony is arguably losing money on every PS3 sold, so catering to people who want to buy the system and mod it does not get them anywhere. This is why they do not support Linux on the PS3 Slims as well, they don't gain a lot from people buying the systems just for the hardware.

Sony is arguably losing money on every PS3 sold, so catering to people who want to buy the system and mod it does not get them anywhere. This is why they do not support Linux on the PS3 Slims as well, they don't gain a lot from people buying the systems just for the hardware.

Do you think this is still the case? I mean, I know at the very beginning the PS3 and X360 were sold at a loss. However, if this was the case why would MS's ban policy seem specifically designed to make modders buy more systems? I expect that with all the changes and just simply time, it no longer costs as much to make a system in proportion to what they sell them for - a lot of that R&D money has already been made up, parts have come down in price, and the systems themselves have been altered (in the case of the PS3, nerfed significantly). It also stands to reason that there are very few people who will buy a system and not buy ANY sort of content for it at all, even if it is modded. Pushing system adoption is such a big thing amongst the companies that sold at a loss, that it would be surprising if they still lose money at every sale.

Do you think this is still the case? I mean, I know at the very beginning the PS3 and X360 were sold at a loss. However, if this was the case why would MS's ban policy seem specifically designed to make modders buy more systems?
MS, Sony maybe Nintendo don't make money on the Console hardware they make money on their cut of the Games. This is why consoles are against used game sales, they make no money off the sales and why you are seeing more and more games being sold thru their respective online systems. So bans aren't in place to drive up console sales but software sales. Modders don't contribute to software sales.

I expect that with all the changes and just simply time, it no longer costs as much to make a system in proportion to what they sell them for - a lot of that R&D money has already been made up, parts have come down in price, and the systems themselves have been altered (in the case of the PS3, nerfed significantly).
Your absolutely right, as the manufactureing process gets refined they are able to reduce the margin of loss. However as Sony reduces the loss on each PS3 manufactured, their rivals MS decide to do a price cut. Increase their market share along with Nintendo. Sony then decides to do a price cut of their own, to stay competitive market share wise. It is popular opinion right now that Sony is still looseing money on each console just not as much. I bet if they didn't do their $100 price drop they would be cash flow positive on PS3 hardware sales, but they had to make an aggressive move to get a larger install base because they make money from continued use of the PS3 in the form of Games, Downloads, Movies, etc.

It also stands to reason that there are very few people who will buy a system and not buy ANY sort of content for it at all, even if it is modded. Pushing system adoption is such a big thing amongst the companies that sold at a loss, that it would be surprising if they still lose money at every sale.
I only use my PS3 for games, I watch movies thru netflix and the PS3 offers nothing else for me. So if I had a PS3 modded console and had access to download games what content would I buy for the PS3? I disagree with your stance on modders. I would be willing to bet that modders do not spend any money on additional content and if there are some that do they represent such a small fraction that it still makes finanacial sense to ban them.

Considering that Sony still makes money with the PS2 and the PSP (just assumeing) I think they can afford to continue selling the PS3 at a loss so they can stay competitive.

As for MS, they have a huge empire of MS divisions that can subsidize the Xbox hardware to make money on the back end with the game sales.

I bet both consoles are still sold at a loss.

Last edited:
MS, Sony maybe Nintendo don't make money on the Console hardware they make money on their cut of the Games.

Nintendo has been making a profit off hardware sales since the launch of the wii since it is pretty much made up of the same hardware from the GC with a shiny new controller. MS supposedly has been making a profit since 2008 on hardware sales of the 360.

Nintendo has been making a profit off hardware sales since the launch of the wii since it is pretty much made up of the same hardware from the GC with a shiny new controller. MS supposedly has been making a profit since 2008 on hardware sales of the 360.

The Gamecube was making money on hardware from launch one as well. That was a requirement of the initial design (and caused it to be behind the XBox and PS2 for raw power).

The Gamecube was making money on hardware from launch one as well. That was a requirement of the initial design (and caused it to be behind the XBox and PS2 for raw power).

Very well I'll conceed these two points. However my main point was that MS and Nintendo still make more money on software and peripheral sales per household then they do on console sales, which is something I'm sure the three of us can all agree on.

Very well I'll conceed these two points. However my main point was that MS and Nintendo still make more money on software and peripheral sales per household then they do on console sales, which is something I'm sure the three of us can all agree on.

Nintendo will probably make money from peripheral sales but the attachement rate of the Wii is absolute garbage, bar the odd game sticking around in the charts it's well know it has the worst of the 3 consoles.

Nintendo will probably make money from peripheral sales but the attachement rate of the Wii is absolute garbage, bar the odd game sticking around in the charts it's well know it has the worst of the 3 consoles.
That's actually not particularly true any more. For where we have figures, the Wii's attach rate is competitive with the PS3 and just a little behind the 360.

Gamecube was not behind the PS2 in performance, but yes, Nintendo shoots for profit on hardware. I've heard they target the unit price to be half the retail price, about the same as Apple.

The only reason I would think I'd hack my ps3 is if it would enable play of ps2 games.

PS3 already has option to install "other" OS so what's the deal about hacking it to be able to do so when it already comes with that as an option? Personally, I have no interest in using a PS3 to run Linux or pirated games. Running PS2 games might be good option though.

PS3 already has option to install "other" OS so what's the deal about hacking it to be able to do so when it already comes with that as an option? Personally, I have no interest in using a PS3 to run Linux or pirated games. Running PS2 games might be good option though.

uhhh, because they removed that option?
the PS3 Slim does not have the "Other OS" option anymore, plus PS2 BC was also removed. Both were removed in some refresh of the "fats"

plus the "Other OS" option doesn't help the homebrew community.

Why do you feel the need to be a smartass and open up with "uhhh"? I know PS2 BC was removed but didn't know "other OS" was. Mine still has it. "Homebrew" community? WTF does anyone need that when you can just go buy a cheap ass computer instead and do whatever you want with it? Sounds like the guy did it purely for bragging rights and no real good reason. He even says he doesn't support software piracy, and nor do I. Opening up a locked device to allow software piracy is a criminal offense IMO. I believe the law says reverse engineering is a criminal offense too. Sony should sue his ass and teach a lesson to all you "133t" hackers.

Last edited:
Back