PS3 Dualshock 3 out today

fallguy

2[H]4U
Got my at my local Gamestop, $55. I held off the urge of buying one of the Jap versions, to get a local one just in case. Works great in the few games Ive tried it with.. glad to have it. Just a heads up.

Man I want one but that's just really expensive. Thanks for the heads up though man.

I can't justify spending $55 on a controller. I will probably wait until the sixaxis controller is $20 or something... or til a third party controller with rumble for PS3 is cheaper.

doesn't it just and the rumble feature?

I never liked the rumble more of a bother than a game enhancer to me.

I can't justify spending $55 on a controller. I will probably wait until the sixaxis controller is $20 or something... or til a third party controller with rumble for PS3 is cheaper.

Tell me about it. It's stupid having to buy another Wii controller: $20 Nunchuk + $40 Wii Remote. Gotta love it.

The sixaxis wont be $20. They're going to discontinue it, and sell only the shock3. At least thats what Ive read. Maybe you can buy a used one, or as you said, a 3rd party controller.

It kind of pisses me off that about a month ago I bought a PS3 with an additional controller and now they're going to try and sell the DS3 for $55. Seriously, this should have shipped with the PS3, now I have to spend $55 to get rumble? Come on! Yeah I know I don't HAVE to buy it, but I just bought the PS3 and my controllers are already obsolete. I really hope they allow current owners a chance to upgrade for a fraction of the price.

This is almost as exciting as when the Playstation got the original Dualshock.

Well, the DualShock was mostly good because it introduced analog sticks to the PlayStation...

Anyway, the thing about rumble is that it's mostly a "why the hell not?" feature. There really wasn't any (legit) reason to not have it in the first place, but there's really no reason to go out and spend $55 to buy a DualShock 3 just to get rumble, either.

i thought they didn't put it in there at the start 1)because of battery life, and 2) because they were getting sued and didn't want to settle that patent dispute.

*shrug*
i'll probably get one soon. i've always liked the rumble feature

i thought they didn't put it in there at the start 1)because of battery life, and 2) because they were getting sued and didn't want to settle that patent dispute.

*shrug*
i'll probably get one soon. i've always liked the rumble feature

They settled with immersion.. I still think it was a stupid call on basically patenting physics. Its like T mobile suing engadget for using magenta.

Rumbling still bothers me when i have it available. Ive been used to no rumble since GC days so i dont really miss anything.

Same here. While the rumble is a nice addition sometimes it also helps to wear you down a little quicker with all that extra movement. I prefer to be able to game longer with less effort without having to hold on to a controller. Then again I'm sure you could turn that feature off when you don't need it.

It kind of pisses me off that about a month ago I bought a PS3 with an additional controller and now they're going to try and sell the DS3 for $55. Seriously, this should have shipped with the PS3, now I have to spend $55 to get rumble? Come on! Yeah I know I don't HAVE to buy it, but I just bought the PS3 and my controllers are already obsolete. I really hope they allow current owners a chance to upgrade for a fraction of the price.

Its had this release date for months now, you should have waited to buy a second controller. I did. Sony launched it first in Japan, and waited to bring it over to make sure they had enough, and didnt have a shortage. Also, you dont have to buy it..

wow that's expensive... I picked up 2 of the white DS3 controllers in Hong Kong back at XMas for $30 each...

Also note that they are definitely "heavy" in your hand and it's not ideal to have rumble on in a lot of games, in some, it's just so damn intrusive.

Anyone know if the rumble is backwards compatible with the PS2 games? I remember it was the only way to signal that you were dying from Silent Hill 2. It was your health essentially. If it isn't backwards compatible with older games then there really isn't any rush for me to get it whatsoever.

Its had this release date for months now, you should have waited to buy a second controller. I did. Sony launched it first in Japan, and waited to bring it over to make sure they had enough, and didnt have a shortage. Also, you dont have to buy it..

No I don't have to buy it, I even mentioned that in what you quoted. The issue is not everyone follows controller development, as far as I knew I was going by what Sony claimed-- that it wouldn't be included, and it wasn't. Its frustrating for them to go back on what they said, especially since I just purchased a PS3 and an extra remote.

I've had a white DS3 since early december and a Satin Silver for a couple of weeks.

besides the obvious difference in weight and the added rumble, the DS3 also has basically fixed the problem of blatant deadzones on the sixaxis. When playing one of the various shooter games that use the analog stick to shoot in all directions, the sixaxi uh, has problems...

I still wish they wouldn't have changed the tops of the sticks. They are less convex than the DS2 and it is for the worse. You have less solid contact with the stick pretty much anytime you are pushing on it.

I don't really care about the rumble at all...but I wouldn't mind some extra weight.
Can anyone confirm any differences in the top triggers?

I can justify buying one of these controllers specifically the The Show 08. Not having the rumble effect is torture for 2 player pitching in that game.

Anyone know if the rumble is backwards compatible with the PS2 games? I remember it was the only way to signal that you were dying from Silent Hill 2. It was your health essentially. If it isn't backwards compatible with older games then there really isn't any rush for me to get it whatsoever.

I am pretty sure it works with most ps2 games. I have an imported ds3 and I will test with silent hill 2 tonight. I am using it for silent hill origins now and it does (faintly) rumble / heart beat when I am low on health.

Imported one from Playasia a couple months ago. If you can't wait, go ahead and get one. Although, I would suggest waiting for Logitech to create their version of the DS3.

I heard that the battery life is halved compared to the sixaxis (when rumble is enabled I'm assuming). True/False?
Sixaxis backwards is the same.

I am pretty sure it works with most ps2 games. I have an imported ds3 and I will test with silent hill 2 tonight. I am using it for silent hill origins now and it does (faintly) rumble / heart beat when I am low on health.

Sweet let me know if it works. I may pick one up when I can afford one for the rumble.

From what I have heard and read, they got a much better battery to even out the time. Same thing with fuel efficient cars having smaller tanks. They all shoot for just over 300 miles a tank... and controllers for one day of play time at least.

The Dualshock 3 WILL be packaged in with the PS3 with the MGS edition and all future packages after that. You simply had bad timing (like buying an 8800GTS, which was a great deal, right before the 8800GT came out, which was a fantastic deal).

lol I guarantee you'll be able to get sixaxis used. I know I'm going to try to pawn off one of mine soon.

I wish it would eventually drop to $20 or even $40 but as it stands, I don't see the controller price changing anytime soon.

Heck, DS2 controllers are still going for $20-25 :(

I got one of these yesterday. Funny enough, the extra weight does feel weird after playing with the normal Sixaxis for so long.
R&C supports it out of the box, which is kinda cool...but still somewhat pointless.
No issues with the infamous "PS3 controller keeps doing what you were doing for 5 seconds" problem some Sixaxis pads had.
So far, so good.
One strange thing is that none of my favorite retail shops had this. That includes Circuit City, Best Buy, and Target. I actually had to brave the depths of Gamestop. It was the first time I've ever been in one where the term "pre-order" wasn't used.
Goes the Grand Tourismo HD demo (the old one) support rumble...or is that just for force feedback wheels?

fyi... buy.com has the dualshock3 for 45... use google checkout and that's 35... which is a great price...

ive not had any problems with the dualshock3 and i like the added weight... doesnt seem to get interrupted signal like with the sixaxis, at least not so far and ive put in about 30 hrs of game time with it already

Goes the Grand Tourismo HD demo (the old one) support rumble...or is that just for force feedback wheels?

Pretty sure it does, you can get the demo of Prologue from the Jap store, that defo supports it.

As to ppl whining about how much it costs, ever thought of selling your old sixaxis to counter the cost? Imported 2 DS3's a while back and sold my SA's, ended up costing me £10/$20 altogether for the upgrade. Hardly breaks the bank now does it.

The way I saw it is that I wanted to have a second controller for when people come over (Split screen racing etc.). I like the extra weight and I like the rumble. It doesn't add much to some games but I do enjoy it with GT5p.

The price of this controller is pretty much right on target. It is actually $5 cheaper than the original Sixaxis in the stores around me and also $5 cheaper than the XBOX 360 controller which DOES NOT come with a rechargeable battery so that's another $30 for the play and charge kit or if you already have the kit, $15 for the battery... I'd actually venture to say it is reasonably priced.

go to walmart and get this dualshock 3 controller for the price of the original six axis. I bought 2 from walmart for $49.93 each same price as the regular sixaxis.

go to walmart and get this dualshock 3 controller for the price of the original six axis. I bought 2 from walmart for $49.93 each same price as the regular sixaxis.

I got it for same price too recently at WM when I picked up Gran Turismo 5 proloque.

fyi... buy.com has the dualshock3 for 45... use google checkout and that's 35... which is a great price...

ive not had any problems with the dualshock3 and i like the added weight... doesnt seem to get interrupted signal like with the sixaxis, at least not so far and ive put in about 30 hrs of game time with it already

Close but still pretty good. I was hoping there was some special discount because I wanted two of them :).

New Google Checkout Customers: Instantly receive $10 off your first Google Checkout order! Limit one per customer.
Price with Google Checkout $41.66

I've had a (black) DS3 for months. You could import one from Hong Kong for $55 (or less, including shipping) since late last year.

Back