PS3 Controller Wins Emmy

You say you are not knocking sony but then you proceed to bash it.

he isnt bashing the controller perse, he just says that theres nothing revolutionary about it. therefore I think he's more knocking the emmy's, not sony.

*SNIP*
Maybe that motion sensing in teh PS3 controller was slapped in at the last second, or maybe it wasn't. I'm not one to say and I don't think anyone else can. I for one don't miss the rumble feature and the only game I found it useful was in Silent Hill 2 as it was to give a pulsating vibrate to indicate you were low on health.
*SNIP*

Sony was just stubborn about losing the suit to Immersion and now Gran Turismo 5 fans have to pay the price for it. What is a racing game nowadays without force feedback (especially since it's been implemented for...10 years now?)?
Sony's stance? Customers won't/don't miss the Force feedback.

I wonder what the demography for these evaluators are. If we're talking average Joe from the street, I could see why Sony won. I saw their freaking commercial like 20 times. But I also saw Wii's commercial just as much... So who knows. Maybe the Wii controller is so different from controllers of generations before that some people wouldn't know it to be a game controller.
People don't always choose the best, sometimes they choose what they recognize, and the Sony controller is damn near exact same.

Sony was just stubborn about losing the suit to Immersion and now Gran Turismo 5 fans have to pay the price for it. What is a racing game nowadays without force feedback (especially since it's been implemented for...10 years now?)?
While I will miss FFB on the steering wheel and dearly wish they would implement it again. I really could care less about the lack of rumble, I have yet to stop playing a PS3 game, and say gee this would be that much better with rumble. It hasn't happened yet.

Oh and to those saying Sony stole the idea from Nintendo. Didn't Sony have a patent for a motion sensitive controller before Nintendo even announced the Wiimote?

I think I am well justified in commenting heavily on something when I traded my hard earned cash on something supposedly revolutionary, only to find my previous generation purchase much more worthwhile...

When I look at my PS3 and my PS2, I find my PS2 seemed far more "revolutionary" at the time of purchase. The PS3 controller already resembling the PS2 controller, while a tried and true design seems to lack innovation. The implementation of the Sony controllers leave much to be desired as well. I have yet to truly appreciate the sixaxis in any game, actually finding it to be a hinderance in some cases.

The wiimote from the get go seemed "odd" but I gave it a chance and now I can't wait to see how developers take advantage of this level of interactivity. I look forward to games in which use this to an incredible degree. I can't even fathom Zelda TW not played by wiimote It just feels natural.

I thought this whole force feedback thing was a rumor? As far as I know it is unless some official word was announced. Since when were rumors automatically true?

This is just proof that nowdays anybody can win an award for pretty much anything ,you don't have to be any good as long as you're willing to pay for the entry and nomination fee. Clearly Sony was just a bit more willing to grease TPTB.

I don't know who Sony thinks they're fooling but I've never seen my 8 year old son move his body as much as he does now with the Wii than PS2 or Gamecube. And while playing Wii Sports too.

Can you stand up and throw a ball with the PS3 remote?

Sony won this becuase they bought it. Emmys, like Oscars (tm) are lobbied for and advertised for. Whoever spends the most bucks gets the win. So if Sony sent free PS3s to voters and asked them to cast for the PS3 controller then that's the results you get.

It's easy to win an award when you're the only one in the running. Nintendo probabaly didn't even lobby for the spot.

It's like Homer winning the award for Outstanding Acheivement in the Field fo Excellence.

I don't know who Sony thinks they're fooling but I've never seen my 8 year old son move his body as much as he does now with the Wii than PS2 or Gamecube. And while playing Wii Sports too.

Can you stand up and throw a ball with the PS3 remote?

It's a great invention controllor and I love bowling, but Wii golf is terrible and so is baseball. I'd much rather play that in real life. That's cool that your son enjoys it though.

There is one game i'm wondering about though on Wii, and that's madden. I'm a pretty big madden fan and i'm wondering how that plays. My buddy won't get it though. He's not too big on football.

It's a great invention controllor and I love bowling, but Wii golf is terrible and so is baseball. I'd much rather play that in real life. That's cool that your son enjoys it though.

I love Wii baseball!! Got the sore right arm and I just went Pro! Over 1100 points!

Bowling is very cool. Got to try boxing though.

When I saw this news on dailytech yesterday, I laughed hysterically. I could not believe that a remote older than jesus won this award (which actually exists??? a controller emmy??) There is absolutely NOTHING innovative or original about it! So what did the judges see in deciding this besides a lot of green from Sony? :rolleyes: Saying from a neutral point of view right now, the wiimote is definily innovative and different, unlike anything the gaming industry has seen in the past. How many are tired of the same old boring remote and want a new way of interacting with games? I know I do. 'omg, look, i can tilt the remote!' ....sad. Sony is really becoming more pathetic as time goes on. They want media and attention to help them with PS3 and blu-ray? well, they're getting it, just the negative attention from the consumers that means the most to them...people like us.

I'm not here to bash, but Sony shouldn't have won that award, straight up, plain and simple. It's entirely apparent that it was bought, as there is no way the PS3 controller could've won over the Wii controller, as per the reasons that the award was won in the first place; innovation...:rolleyes: so the Wii controller is less revolutionary in functionality than the PS3 controller? Ahem, NO.:eek:

Despite owning a 360 and Sony's 'award winning' controller, I have to admit that the Wii's controller just looks fun to use and seems to add that element to all of its games. With that being said, if I were to purchase another console it would probably be a Wii and it would be largely due to its funky controller :)

MORE SONY PRESS FUD!
Did they think no one would check?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/oops-sony-declares-sixaxis-emmy-emmys-say-uh-uh/

Not quite ... Séamus at Hydrapinion did some legwork and discovered that, while Sony had won an Emmy for Technology and Engineering, it wasn't for the SIXAXIS. Instead, Christine Chin from NATAS confirmed that Sony's Dual Shock as well as Nintendo's D-Pad (NES pad?) won "for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks." Oops! You know what they say happens when you assume ...

Only Sony to take an emmy award and turn it around into bad publicity.

Nice going!

Wow, I had judged Sony all wrong. They didn't buy the award. My apologies.

The only thing is that it is still really poor form to blatantly misrepresent events like this. This reeks of either a total disregard for business ethics or desperation. I can't figure out which.

Wow, I had judged Sony all wrong. They didn't buy the award. My apologies.

The only thing is that it is still really poor form to blatantly misrepresent events like this. This reeks of either a total disregard for business ethics or desperation. I can't figure out which.

Well who else would have thought that somone gives a "technological advancement" award for a product thats years old and replaced by a better product? And the media is not to blame for this? Just sony?

Sounds like to me that some here are pulling straws.

How is the media to blame for this? The media simply reported on what Sony told them in their official press release. If anything, you'll probably see a bit of a media backlash against Sony for duping them.

How is the media to blame for this? The media simply reported on what Sony told them in their official press release. If anything, you'll probably see a bit of a media backlash against Sony for duping them.

You mean to tell me that the media does not investigate their information first? .. that they simply rehash whatever they hear? It's the medias job to find the facts and present it as such and the media was the ones to bring it to your attention which turned out to be innacurate. Am I wrong or right?

I'm pretty sure the media was playing on this and pretending to be ignorant of the facts because after all, bad news sells better than good news.

Now we need to hire private investigators every time a company sends out a press release making a statement?

We can blame the "media" all we want, nothing changes the fact that the CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America said:

"The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system," commented Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

"The full potential of this powerful machine has yet to be realised. What you've seen so far is just a taste of what will be on the table for 2007 and years to come."

What does this statement have to do with the award they won. :confused:

You mean to tell me that the media does not investigate their information first? .. that they simply rehash whatever they hear? It's the medias job to find the facts and present it as such and the media was the ones to bring it to your attention which turned out to be innacurate. Am I wrong or right?

I'm pretty sure the media was playing on this and pretending to be ignorant of the facts because after all, bad news sells better than good news.

It is a sad, sad fact that...as a person that reports the news...I have to add to most of my news posts:

• According to reports...
  • It would seem...
  • Apparently...
  • Allegedly....
  • Supposedly.
  • According to Sony's <insert company> Official Press Release...

I am not sure how someone reports "According to Sony's Official Press Release..." makes the "media" responsible for not investigating that press release.

The truth of the matter is that something as simple as a press release from a company should be held to at least a minimum standard of truth. It is unfortunate that, in this case, the press release turned out to be untrue / misleading statement / fantasy / spin.

So yes, in a way you are correct, everyone should thoroughly investigate statements made by untrustworthy companies who intentionally mislead the general public on something as lame as an award for a 10 year old controller.

So yes, in a way you are correct, everyone should thoroughly investigate statements made by untrustworthy companies who intentionally mislead the general public on something as lame as an award for a 10 year old controller.

Well said.

Sony just can’t catch any breaks and when they do well maybe they got ahead of them selves for some positive news for a change, which ironically has spun into bad news. The question I am wondering about is did they knowingly try to use this media coverage to sell more P3S when this award had nothing to do with said PS3?

Sony just can’t catch any breaks and when they do well maybe they got ahead of them selves for some positive news for a change, which ironically has spun into bad news. The question I am wondering about is did they knowingly try to use this media coverage to sell more P3S when this award had nothing to do with said PS3?

I doubt an award for a controller is going to spur sales on $600 consoles :)

Im sure they were just grasping for press. The award itself wont sell consoles, but media time and press will. There is a quote that says "There is no such thing as bad press". I find this total bullshit (Look at the Phantom), but most big companies dont.

The sad fact is that the Wii sold tons more then the PS3, and you can find PS3 in stores on the shelf. Same cant be said about the Wii. So dont give me this bullshit that the Wii only sold more due too Nintendo making more. The PS3 is a turkey, and the owners of that turkey will try anything to sell them. Even stupid shit like this.

Sony just can&#8217;t catch any breaks and when they do well maybe they got ahead of them selves for some positive news for a change, which ironically has spun into bad news. The question I am wondering about is did they knowingly try to use this media coverage to sell more P3S when this award had nothing to do with said PS3?

You know, it's a damn shame too. They are getting the ol' Xbox 360 beatin' that we saw this time last year. People just loved beating up on the 360 because it was the only console out to beat up on. Every little misstep was major headlines and when there wasn't a misstep, people invented them (consoles that catch fire, eat discs when you tip them over, abduct babies from their cribs)...

The only difference I see with Sony, and I have said this a billion times, they keep saying & doing CRAZY stuff that turns a normally cool situation into a negative publicity freakshow.

Had they just let the press release go out with the regular ol' statement like...

"As proof that Sony products stand the test of time, set the trends, have lasting appeal, etc. etc. etc. our Dual Shock controller won an Emmy . This award winning controller served as the foundation for our amazing new Sixaxis controller...blah, blah,..."

...they could have gotten very good press, Sony fans could say "See, 10 years later we still rock" and everyone would've been happy.

instead...we get more crazy stuff like we see here. I'm not sure what they put in the Kool-Aid over there but they need to ban all corporate officers from drinking it. :D

LOL!!

Looking at the original article I don't see where sony said anything about an emmy or their controller, can someone show me a link?

In this link it isn't clear that sony said anything about it at all. Now Matt Martin on the other hand...
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22052

This part is the sony quote from that article

"The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system," commented Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.
"The full potential of this powerful machine has yet to be realised. What you've seen so far is just a taste of what will be on the table for 2007 and years to come," he added.

Nothing in the Sony quote about an emmy or the sixaxis.

Looking at the original article I don't see where sony said anything about an emmy or their controller, can someone show me a link?

In this link it isn't clear that sony said anything about it at all. Now Matt Martin on the other hand...
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22052

This part is the sony quote from that article

Nothing in the Sony quote about an emmy or the sixaxis.

Edit: Nevermind, found it here: http://prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-08-2007/0004501397&EDATE=

Sony did NOT win an award for SIXAXIS

Seems Sony's credibility problem extends itself...

A follow up message from Christine Chin from NATAS tells us Sony has it all wrong. The award was for the original dual shock controller. Here is her message in full:

I understand you had contacted Cheryl Daly, Director of Communications at NATAS to confirm if Sony won for their PS3 controller. This is incorrect, Sony won for their dual shock analog controller. The award is from the Video Game Technology Group. It was nominated by our internal group and considered along with the Nintendo D-Pad both of which were considered Emmy worthy for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks.

I would like to confirm that Sony did not win for their PS3 controller, they won for their Dual Shock Analog controller.

peace,
Aielman

Back