• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PS3 Controller Wins Emmy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
While Sony fans will celebrate this announcement, Xbox 360 fans will just shake their heads and Nintendo fans everywhere will call for a recount. What could have everyone so up in arms? Sony’s Sixaxis controller won an Emmy for Technology and Engineering. I’m not knocking Sony, I’m just saying that stripping out the rumble feature and slapping motion sensor tech into a controller hardly seems Emmy-worthy.

"The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system," commented Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.
 
I know I will catch flak for saying that the Sixaxis doesn't seem Emmy-worthy but I just think that, based on the same criteria used to give the award to Sony, shouldn't Nintendo's Wii-mote grabbed this award?

:confused:

I'm not going to even touch that whacky "The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3" statement.
 
You say you are not knocking sony but then you proceed to bash it.
 
I'm completely at a loss as to who comes up with this crap... next thing you know the PS3 commercials will win in creativity too...
 
I think this proves that Sony isn't in really big financial trouble yet because they can apparently still afford to purchase awards. I'm trying not to be too antagonistic here, but I honestly believe that getting this award has way more to do with Sony and major movie studios being in bed and in trouble over Blueray than any actual innovation. Anyone else think this could be part of it?
 
I think this proves that Sony isn't in really big financial trouble yet because they can apparently still afford to purchase awards. I'm trying not to be too antagonistic here, but I honestly believe that getting this award has way more to do with Sony and major movie studios being in bed and in trouble over Blueray than any actual innovation. Anyone else think this could be part of it?

So if Xbox won the award or the Wii did, then it's apparently legit? But if sony wins it, it's "bought" :rolleyes:
 
I will always be suspicious of an award that was won but clearly not deserved. It has nothing to do with loyalties.
 
I'm not going to even touch that whacky "The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3" statement.

It's PR. What else is he going to say? "Yeah, the launch isn't exactly all we were hopping for. I'm kinda surprised to see so many unsold units in stores so soon after the release... but if you think about it, our lineup wasn't exactly stellar, you know what I mean? And sales-wise, the Wii is like, soooo totally kicking our butt. Oh man, what a beating, he? But I'm sure we'll do fine this year. Or eventually. Right guys? Right?" </Gil>
 
sony pretty much stole the idea from nintendo (and im no nintendo !!!!!!...) what a joke.
 
I will always be suspicious of an award that was won but clearly not deserved. It has nothing to do with loyalties.

Sounds like a matter of personal oppinion to me. In all honesty, I believe the Xbox should get the award, but It's just me and I don't let personal oppinion get in the way.
 
You say you are not knocking sony but then you proceed to bash it.


If I remember correctly, Sony made fun of the Wii-mote and then ditched the PS3 "banana" controller and added motion sensors to the old dual-shock AFTER they saw the Wii controller.

Just seems a bit odd to me...and I'm guessing a whole LOT of other people too. (would this even be news if it wasn't odd?)
 
The fact that Sony won this award hardly means that it was purchased. We don't know the criteria upon which this award was based.

If the only criteria were, to quote Jack Tretton, "overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim," then people in the Wii camp might have a legitimate argument.

But we don't know what the criteria were. So just accept it for what it is: an award that means basically nothing to anyone, anywhere. I mean, who's expected to even hear about this award? If I hadn't come here, I wouldn't have known.
 
"The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system," commented Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Reminds me of the Iraqi Information Minister during the first stages of the invasion of Iraq. I expect him to say something like: "There is no such thing as an Xbox 360. Unfounded rumors of something called a 'Wii' have been greatly exaggerated. Nintendo does not exist. Glory be to Katarugi!"
 
I think this proves that Sony isn't in really big financial trouble yet because they can apparently still afford to purchase awards. I'm trying not to be too antagonistic here, but I honestly believe that getting this award has way more to do with Sony and major movie studios being in bed and in trouble over Blueray than any actual innovation. Anyone else think this could be part of it?

lol i was going to say the same thing. I really dont see how removing features and stealing someone else's idea are a reason to be rewarded but hey, whatever. I dont even own a console, dont care about any of them at all, but it seems this award really should have gone to nintendo.
 
I generally like the sixaxis, but the Wii controller is an actual technical innovation, that is plainly evident to anyone technical or not.

I have both a PS3 and a Wii, and have spent lots of time with the xbox and 360, so at least I have experience on all of them and don't buy into all the !!!!!! crap. The Wii has moved in a new and innovative direction which to me would make it seem more worthy of the award.

PS, the triggers on the sixaxis suck!, so maybe I did have a little bias there ;)
 
sony pretty much stole the idea from nintendo (and im no nintendo !!!!!!...) what a joke.

Yes and Nintendo stole the gyroscope idea from Johann Bohnenberger. This is called competition.

With your logic you could say that Nintendo stole the idea of using a regular sized Compact Disk from Sony and Microsoft.

Also, on that same Merrit, you could argue the logic that evolutionary invention was all taken from the prodigy in the early ages. You could argue that Microsoft should get no awards, you could argue that catipillar gets no awards for their engines, no company gets credit for their assembly line since ford invented it, etc etc.


If I remember correctly, Sony made fun of the Wii-mote and then ditched the PS3 "banana" controller and added motion sensors to the old dual-shock AFTER they saw the Wii controller.

Just seems a bit odd to me...and I'm guessing a whole LOT of other people too. (would this even be news if it wasn't odd?)


Welcome to free enterprise and competition. Now I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if Microsoft adds a gyroscope into their controllers.

Do you think that companies enter the market blindly or take design cues from their compeditors or from market trends?

And yes the sony banana thing was a little lame, but if it's going to help their sales, who's to blame them... this could be converted into the same logic as Apple using x86 processors to more compeditivley battle their counterparts.
 
wtf, its a ps2 controller with no rumble feature what a bunch of hussies buying awards, with all the actual innovation nintendo shouldve of pulled out and won this not a bunch of posers with tried and true antique technology lacking rumble feature
 
Owning the PS3 and Wii and playing them both for hours on end, one wonders if the people awarding this stuff even heard of Nintendo or does Sony's influence play the larger role.

It's just way too suspicious based on the fanfare and general opinion of the public regarding the two systems.
 
Now I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if Microsoft adds a gyroscope into their controllers.

MS did...ten years ago.

Anyhow, it is a news items because it is amazing Sony won an Emmy for the Sixaxis. They could have won an Emmy for anything else that the PS3 is / has and no one would've said anything.

Would this be news if it wasn't controversial? Hardly.
 
MS did...ten years ago.

Anyhow, it is a news items because it is amazing Sony won an Emmy for the Sixaxis. They could have won an Emmy for anything else that the PS3 is / has and no one would've said anything.

Would this be news if it wasn't controversial? Hardly.


I'm sure no matter what Sony recieves would be fouly looked upon by others, latley the trend has greatley increased.

But like as you say, it's news for a reason :)
 
I'm sure no matter what Sony recieves would be fouly looked upon by others, latley the trend has greatley increased.

That is true.

Sony is getting pounded so hard right now by the media (rootkit, batteries, delays, oddball statements, PS3 shipments), if this was a boxing match...the ref woulda stepped in two or three times by now.

Last year it was Microsoft getting beat up by the media, this year it is Sony.
 
GIS on "technical emmy voting method" turns up that the rules changed in the year 2000 and that the vote is done by a select committee panel of about 3000 industry fat cats.

This award could easily have been "paid for".

I am a certified Sony hater but in this case, I can't see how the Sixaxis could win any award as all of the technology has been around for years. Accelerometers are passe' and installed on lots of things and the Wii is doing this technology far better (and they were first to market) on all fronts.

All of the Sony apologists sound a little "bitter" in here too. :p
 
I can totaly understand if they were giving a 'life time achievment award' for the general Playstation controller, but specifically an award for the 'sixaxis controller'?

That is really BS.. It doesn't deserve anything, and since when did the Emmy awards come out for GAME CONTROLLERS?!?

I want an Emmy for my toe-nail clippings!!
 
Just in case there is someone here who doesn't realize it already: the CES is a marketing show and anything associated with it (like little show "awards") are marketing as well. Marketing requires no relationship with reality.

It does remind me of the numerous "awards" and "accolades" handed out to the nVidia FX5800 a few years back.
 
Its like Nickelback winning awards for their music...no one knows why, or cares.
 
Yes and Nintendo stole the gyroscope idea from Johann Bohnenberger. This is called competition.

With your logic you could say that Nintendo stole the idea of using a regular sized Compact Disk from Sony and Microsoft.

Also, on that same Merrit, you could argue the logic that evolutionary invention was all taken from the prodigy in the early ages. You could argue that Microsoft should get no awards, you could argue that catipillar gets no awards for their engines, no company gets credit for their assembly line since ford invented it, etc etc.





<b>Welcome to free enterprise and competition. Now I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if Microsoft adds a gyroscope into their controllers.

Do you think that companies enter the market blindly or take design cues from their compeditors or from market trends?</b>

And yes the sony banana thing was a little lame, but if it's going to help their sales, who's to blame them... this could be converted into the same logic as Apple using x86 processors to more compeditivley battle their counterparts.

We're not saying the gyroscope is a bad idea, just that it's stupid to give the award for
"technology and engineering" to an idiot company that added it at the last minute because another company was using it. Not to mention the fact the controller lacks rumble because Sony didn't want to pay royalties to the people that own it.
 
Yes and Nintendo stole the gyroscope idea from Johann Bohnenberger. This is called competition.

With your logic you could say that Nintendo stole the idea of using a regular sized Compact Disk from Sony and Microsoft.


so if you agree the idea originaly came from Nintendo and from what I understand the Six-Axis is pretty much the only feature of the PS3 controller.. other than wireless.. wouldn't logic dictate that the award should have gone to the people who really embraced the idea? (nintendo)..
 
I'm not afraid to say Sony obviously didn't deserve it.The Wii controler and 360 controler are both superior in doing what they are designed to do, while the Sony Six-Axis is nothing but a gutted rehash of the PS2 controler.There's a total of about 12 games available on the market for the PS3 and most don't use the motion control.The few that do run very poorly with it on top of everything.

I guess the last question to ask is"How much did Sony secretly pay for the Emmy?".
 
I don't get it, there is NOTHING NEW in the controller.. Simmilar ones where released for PC years ago, but do to performance, or game support failed.

The only controller worth noting for taking a new direction is the Wii controller, even if you don't like it it is the only one that is a true new design.
 
All the past reviews I have read, which compare the PS3 controller to the Wii controller, very clearly state that the PS3 controller has extremely limited functionality, and is nothing more then a last minute attempt to copy some aspects of the Wii controller .... I don't get it.
 
Why didnt MS win an award for the MS Gamepad 10years ago. It did the same thing as the sixaxis...

I picked one up in a bargin bin back in the day with motocross madness 2...

Speaking of wich, ide sure like to see another MM game heheh
 
Reminds me of the Iraqi Information Minister during the first stages of the invasion of Iraq. I expect him to say something like: "There is no such thing as an Xbox 360. Unfounded rumors of something called a 'Wii' have been greatly exaggerated. Nintendo does not exist. Glory be to Katarugi!"

I laughed so unbelievably hard when I read that. Thank you for making my day :D

More on topic however, I completely agree with almost everyone's sentiment: this makes no sense. I think that the Wiimote would be hands-down the winner for a category like this, but hell even the Xbox 360s controller with its level of comfort would have made more sense than the PS3/PS2 controller.

I can't believe that they were thinking rationally when they gave this award.
 
This makes no sense whatsoever to me, and I don't have a dog in this hunt (I'm a PC gamer.) The Wii-mote--or whatever it's called--is a brilliant idea and implementation. I'm not sure how easy it is to use for your standard shooter, but it looks pretty functional and is a radical departure from the standard controller model.

Dunno what the PS3 has, but

The Sixaxis controller has added motion sensing technology to re-define the original Dual Shock controller, detecting natural, real-time movements, along with input via pressure sensitive buttons, analogue sticks and triggers.

That description sounds like Sony just slapped everything they could think of on the controller. In fact, I'm suspicious that the people who designed this may have also written Lotus Notes (may it rot in hell.) Maybe it's easier to use in practice.

Doesn't make much sense to see the Wii get snubbed, especially since Nintendo (or whoever they are now) was in serious trouble before the Wii came out....
 
Well, from a purely technical based aspect, the Wiimote seems much more impressive. Certainly an actual step outside of the norm. I wish I had more "hands on" experience with either, no pun intended :D
 
Why didnt MS win an award for the MS Gamepad 10years ago. It did the same thing as the sixaxis...

I picked one up in a bargin bin back in the day with motocross madness 2...

Speaking of wich, ide sure like to see another MM game heheh

I loved MM, and I wish they would release a new one also. I might look for the cd and try it out again.

As far as Sony... Everyone already said it. Sony as a company produces feces for their fans who embrace it like the second coming of jesus. Nintendo's controller could've won but even that is old technology. I had a wii-remote in 1990, it was called the Power Glove. Of course the newer version is 10x better than the PG.

And Sony is getting a media bashing because it is well deserved, and much more so than the one MS took last year that Steve referred to. Sony reps must have access to some really good coke man.
 
We can't sell our PS3's. The ones we do sell get sold on ebay or returned to the store after people find out they CANNOT sell them on ebay (because no one wants them)--(by the way, there was a report on these findings link from the H not long ago if you doubt me). On top of that, every one we sell loses us a ton of cash and our share holders cringe at every registered sale. Yeah, we SHIPPED a million units...Nintendo has SOLD 4 million+ AND turned a profit doing so. Not to mention, people bought them to KEEP and PLAY. Don't forget that MS has over 10 million SOLD and in homes right now.

So we have this huge issue....how to fix?

Buy an award because we have industry clout which accomplishes two goals:

1. Generate public awareness on our product.

2. Shows that our product is obviously superior to our direct competitors.

Like this will change anyone's views on the console war.

Is Sony doomed? I'd be a fool to say yes. But being number 3 in the console race...by a large margin...certainly doesn't help their image or strategic future.
 
But...but...but in the commercial you can control eggs.

:rolleyes:

There is no argument here and no point in countering any pro-Nintendo vitriol, Sony fans. That the award was bought is justified speculation considering the award went to what is for "all intents and purposes" a dualshock with an ad hoc and limited knockoff of the motion sensing featured in Nintendo's Wii remote controller.
 
Just imagine if Sony kept the original banana/boomerang design.
They'd have won an emmy for best technical blah blah blah and best weapon of the year

It's nice that they start the year winning something, because it sure as hell isn't PS3 customers.
 
Wow certainly a lot of bashing here. While I do have a PS3 and I not a big fan of sony I do like the PS3. There is something with that award that doesn't seem right though. The Wii-mote is way more innovative but there's no need to totally trash the PS3 controller. They went with something that works and has been proven. Maybe that motion sensing in teh PS3 controller was slapped in at the last second, or maybe it wasn't. I'm not one to say and I don't think anyone else can. I for one don't miss the rumble feature and the only game I found it useful was in Silent Hill 2 as it was to give a pulsating vibrate to indicate you were low on health.

Oh well, everyone has their opinions, none of which are wrong, but some just crazy based on their hate for a company.
 
Back
Top