• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Protected WMP > Mp3 for iPod

Project_2501

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
1,170
Anyone know how I can convert my protected WMA files (specifically 30 seconds to mars) that I JUST bought and can't add to my iPod. I need to convert them to MP3s. I'm willing to try a lot, if I could even just send someone the folder and they convert it real quick like, that would be great, I'm on AIM if this is an involving process so you can help me.

At any rate, thank you all very much. This is quite annoying.
 
you should be able to burn a audio cd and rip it... then convert it to mp3.
 
Do you mean take my encrypted WMA files, burn them to a CD, then rip them back again as MP3's?

magnetik: oops.. sorry.. I hit edit instead of quote. lol
 
Project_2501 said:
Do you mean take my encrypted WMA files, burn them to a CD, then rip them back again as MP3's?


Yup, that is about the only LEGAL way you can transcode those files.
 
Mister X said:
Yup, that is about the only LEGAL way you can transcode those files.

I'm not too worried about it being legal as I purchased the CD (have recipt) from BestBuy about 2 hours ago.

Let me try ripping it, may do the trick.
 
Project_2501 said:
I'm not too worried about it being legal as I purchased the CD (have recipt) from BestBuy about 2 hours ago.

Let me try ripping it, may do the trick.

make sure you burn an "audio cd" and not just copy the wma's over as data.. just making sure you know..
 
Project_2501 said:
I'm not too worried about it being legal as I purchased the CD (have recipt) from BestBuy about 2 hours ago.

Let me try ripping it, may do the trick.


See what I get for jumping to conclusions and assuming they were Napster files? :D
 
well if you have teh CD just rip them to mp3... you wont have to burn the files then rip them. this way you can encode them at a better or worse or whatever bitrate you like.

nat
 
natpond said:
well if you have teh CD just rip them to mp3... you wont have to burn the files then rip them. this way you can encode them at a better or worse or whatever bitrate you like.

nat

Well, the problem actually is that I can rip it from the CD directly due to the BS DRM crap. Except, there's not MP3 options, only WMA's in CBP, VBR and Lossless formats. Naturally I chose lossless, but need to get it so I can use them on my iPod.
 
Have you tried using EAC to rip them? Then you could go straight from CD to mp3. Seems silly to have that extra step unless you want the WMA format also.
 
Mister X said:
See what I get for jumping to conclusions and assuming they were Napster files? :D

I miss napster... thank you for adding yet another knife to my side.

I hate metallica.
 
ScHpAnKy said:
I miss napster... thank you for adding yet another knife to my side.

I hate metallica.


Napster ruined the word by allowing every 12 year old kid on AOL to pollute the scene with bad rips.
Be glad it's gone. ;)
 
my suggestgion is the same as mentioned before, only more specifically to rip it losslessly then burn to CD then rip, so that your not losing quality, and then essentially encodin form an encode.
 
Seems this chap needs a step-by-step guide here.

Using WMP, take the file or files in question, and burn them to a CD. (Preferably a rewritable) This will convert your protected files to standard Redbook ala PCM WAV tracks.

Close WMP.

Open your 3rd party ripper (EAC, CDex, Foobar2000) and rip the files to whatever format you need. If you don't know what the hell you are doing here, you can rip to .wav files, and use another program, or FB2K to convert the files to MP3.

At this point I am assuming you know how tou use a program like LAME.
 
Mister X said:
Napster ruined the word by allowing every 12 year old kid on AOL to pollute the scene with bad rips.
Be glad it's gone. ;)

Actually yes, now that you put it that way
 
Chastity said:
Seems this chap needs a step-by-step guide here.

Using WMP, take the file or files in question, and burn them to a CD. (Preferably a rewritable) This will convert your protected files to standard Redbook ala PCM WAV tracks.

Close WMP.

Open your 3rd party ripper (EAC, CDex, Foobar2000) and rip the files to whatever format you need. If you don't know what the hell you are doing here, you can rip to .wav files, and use another program, or FB2K to convert the files to MP3.

At this point I am assuming you know how tou use a program like LAME.

Why do all this? He says he has the orignal CD! Just rip it with EAC skip the whole WMP part.
 
God damn 30 Seconds to Mars, the CD is the bitch in question here. Even Velvet Revolver didn't give me these problems.

I just gotta get get the time to rip them to CD, then back again.
 
Project_2501 said:
God damn 30 Seconds to Mars, the CD is the bitch in question here. Even Velvet Revolver didn't give me these problems.

I just gotta get get the time to rip them to CD, then back again.
WHY are you ripping them to protected WMA in the first place?
 
Update: All set. Ripped using WMP (only thing that worked, heh, encoded them into regular lossless first...) and then with iTunes into VBR.

And I ripped to encoded origionally because that was the only method available on the CD. It wouldn't allow me to use a different program to do it.

Another follow-up question, do I do the same thing for Protected AAC's? (Bought through iTunes music)
 
Did you try using EAC like we suggested? I have not personally run across any CD that EAC can not handle. Not that they dont have em, just have not seen it. If I do I will be returning the CD because it would be defective.
 
I know that when you bought the CD, you didn't know it was in that format. Please in the future do not support Microsoft WMA format by allowing them to profit off it. I can guarantee the direction they want to go with it will not be benefitting the end consumer or audiophiles in any way, shape, or form.

I would rather have 128-bit MP3s than 'lossless' WMAs. Of course, I'd rather have FLAC created from an EAC rip over MP3 any day.
 
I have the same issue with the new Foo Fighters CD... nothing will rip it, it's distorted beyond all recognition. You have to install active X shit in IE and use the autoplay to rip it... and it's all kinds of protected. Maybe EAC can rip it? Does EAC do anything with the protection?
 
mdameron said:
I have the same issue with the new Foo Fighters CD... nothing will rip it, it's distorted beyond all recognition. You have to install active X shit in IE and use the autoplay to rip it... and it's all kinds of protected. Maybe EAC can rip it? Does EAC do anything with the protection?

Try EAC, if that does not work. Try knoppix and use GRIP. If the CD can be played in a regular audio CD their really is no way they can fully protect it. They can do all kinds of crap but you can get around it.
 
I haven't seen a CD yet EAC won't RIP, but usually with copy protection it just rips the CD slowly, it still comes out perfect.
 
tdg said:
I haven't seen a CD yet EAC won't RIP, but usually with copy protection it just rips the CD slowly, it still comes out perfect.

I have a Gorilliza CD that EAC has troubles with. However GRIP (actually cdparanoia) had no issues with.
 
I had a problem like that too on another cd, Velvet Revolver's. I just kept ejecting it and reinputting it until it played fine on my computer, then ripped, no problems.

I'm asking how to un-encrypt music I bought through iTunes.
 
Project_2501 said:
I had a problem like that too on another cd, Velvet Revolver's. I just kept ejecting it and reinputting it until it played fine on my computer, then ripped, no problems.

I'm asking how to un-encrypt music I bought through iTunes.

Actually that is not what you asked. Cause iTunes does not sell music in WMA format or in any type of lossless format.

Or are you now asking another question?
 
Mister X said:
Nuff said? ;)
sorry missed that. :(

And to answer the iTunes music.

Best option make an audio CD and the rip the audio CD.

However note that this lossy->lossy conversion introduces a generation loss. And since iTunes music is only 128 AAC then the quailty degradation could be rather high.

I highly recommend to everyone I am friends with to NOT buy any music with DRM on it. Simply because you as the consumer never own the music you bought.
 
OK, I'll ask it again... are these files protected mp4 files, otherwise known as .m4p?
 
Back
Top