Pros/cons to having two 8-port gigabit switches vs. one 16-port?

pdawg17

Limp Gawd
Before I pull the trigger on a switch/switches, does it make any difference if I buy two 8-port switches and daisy-chain them vs. one 16-port switch?

You will lose two ports by connecting them. So you will have a 14 port switch if you buy two 8 ports. Other than that, you wont notice a difference.

Depends on how much bandwidth you really need, as you will be bottlenecking the bandwidth between the switches to 1Gbps (assuming you are only using one link between the two). If you have multiple clients trying to pass data across that link, you may see congestion on it.

I would go with a 16/24 port switch instead of a couple 8's. It'll be much nicer to work with if you need to expand in the future as well.

No difference besides the lost ports really.

I run an 8 port and 5 port together at my house and it works great. Already had the 5 and added on the 8 for more capacity.

For larger commercial things it can make a difference as you are constricting data flow by forcing ~7 ports through one port to get to the other switch, but in smaller setups and homes you really never notice this as it is very unlikely you will have lots of transfers all at the same time all destined for ports on the opposite switch. This logic is why switches are fiber or 10/100/1000 (for 10/100 switches) uplinked in large commercial installs.

I forgot to mention it is for a home network and I'll probably be the only one transferring large files, etc...I really only need 8 ports now but as the kids get older and more networked devices in-home I may need to expand...with our latest remodel bill I would prefer to spend $80 instead of $180 but if it makes sense to get 16 now I will...

And it looks like a good 8-port is the HP 1400-G8 and a good 16-port is the Dell 2716...anything else I should look at?

I forgot to mention it is for a home network and I'll probably be the only one transferring large files, etc...I really only need 8 ports now but as the kids get older and more networked devices in-home I may need to expand...with our latest remodel bill I would prefer to spend $80 instead of $180 but if it makes sense to get 16 now I will...

And it looks like a good 8-port is the HP 1400-G8 and a good 16-port is the Dell 2716...anything else I should look at?

In your case it would be worth only going with a single 8 porter for now.

Get an eight port for now... grow down the road when you need it as prices will probably come down some more by then. As for whether or not you'll notice a difference between two eight ports instead of one sixteen on a home network - other than losing two ports to connect them, you won't.

Get an eight port for now... grow down the road when you need it as prices will probably come down some more by then. As for whether or not you'll notice a difference between two eight ports instead of one sixteen on a home network - other than losing two ports to connect them, you won't.

I agree, On a home network you will not see a difference between 2 8 port's and 1 16 port. Like everyone has stated you will be just losing the ports to connect the two devices. Myself I would go with a decent 16 port switch. And really for a home network you do not even need a manged switch. Unless you want to setup VLAN's for the kids network, which is not a bad idea.I know you only need 16 ports, but here is a great choice. Layer 2 managed-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833129153

For a little less- 8 Port Managed Pro Curve-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316053

I agree, On a home network you will not see a difference between 2 8 port's and 1 16 port. Like everyone has stated you will be just losing the ports to connect the two devices. Myself I would go with a decent 16 port switch. And really for a home network you do not even need a manged switch. Unless you want to setup VLAN's for the kids network, which is not a bad idea.I know you only need 16 ports, but here is a great choice. Layer 2 managed-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833129153

For a little less- 8 Port Managed Pro Curve-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316053

That first layer 2 managed is just a 10/100 BTW.

That first layer 2 managed is just a 10/100 BTW.

Actually:
Ports:
24 10/100BASE-T ports
2 10/100/1000BASE-T ports
2 Gigabit combo ports (RJ-45/SFP)

Has 2, does the PC's even support Gig networking? He might not even need a full 16 port gig switch

True I guess, I saw that but those are usually just for uplinking/WAN connections. I guess if he is fine with just a couple gig ports it could work for him just fine.

A single switch is theoretically better in the case of a lot of concurrent traffic, but that's not common in home environments. Multiple switches will give you more flexibility in layout, and smaller switches are cheaper.

Check ebay. I scored up my 24 port dell switch for $130 shipped. 10/100/1000x24 and 2 sf modules iirc.

Back