Pronunciation of GUI

It is a good point, but those aren't terms in the industry that uses them, or that I work in. When you hear industry types (engineers at Intel, for example) saying SATA as an acronym, you tend to say it the same way.

Besides, how did you say IDE? As a word, like beware the IDEs of March? No, it was always said as an acronym...so why would SATA be different? How do you say USB? TCP/IP? DNS? DVD? CD? VGA? DVI?

Technically, depending on the dictionary you read, saying the first letters of each word, like SATA, is Initialism, while an Acronym would be saying it as a word.

zed annoys the shit out of me lol It always reminds me of the fruitcake rapist cop from pulp fiction.

"who's Zed?"

"Zeds dead baby"

Zr1 > ZedR1 :D

Hehe, it's all subjective based on one's unique perspective, which is why all opinions are valid ultimately, but what annoys me is when "H" is not pronounced. What's up with "yuman" and "erbs"? I say human and herbs.

Niche = neesh (I tend to follow the native pronounciation as closely as possible without sounding too pretentious).

I need more rammunition, lol.

Goo-ey

Say-tah

You can only say "sat-ugh" if you are from boston.

GUI = gooey. And has for 25+ years.

Serial ATA or sah-tah. Hearing people say say-tah makes my skin crawl. Where does that even come from? It's not a logical English pronunciation of those letters, and has no root in the words they represent either.

SQL = ess-que-el. SEQUEL makes you sound like you used it in the 70's, and if you did, awesome - but given that it's usually 25 year olds saying it, and that it seems to always be MSSQL users for some reason - um no. ess-que-el is in the SQL standard as the official pronunciation and SEQUEL doesn't exist any more. If you don't have the 'I'm an old codger' excuse, use the right term :p. Consequently MySQL is most definitely My-S-Q-L and MySequel makes you sound like a knob (but you're using MySQL so we already knew that :p:p).

z = zed

GUI = gooey. And has for 25+ years.

Serial ATA or sah-tah. Hearing people say say-tah makes my skin crawl. Where does that even come from? It's not a logical English pronunciation of those letters, and has no root in the words they represent either.

SQL = ess-que-el. SEQUEL makes you sound like you used it in the 70's, and if you did, awesome - but given that it's usually 25 year olds saying it, and that it seems to always be MSSQL users for some reason - um no. ess-que-el is in the SQL standard as the official pronunciation and SEQUEL doesn't exist any more. If you don't have the 'I'm an old codger' excuse, use the right term :p. Consequently MySQL is most definitely My-S-Q-L and MySequel makes you sound like a knob (but you're using MySQL so we already knew that :p:p).

z = zed

:rolleyes:

You must be a Linux user.

Satan

It's not SAT-an

It's SAY-Tan

Hence, SAY-TUGH

Data. Some say "day-tuh" some "da-tuh"
I happen to be one of the former

BIOS. "Bi-ohs" or "bi-ahs"?

"bee-aye-oh-es" :rolleyes:
tardsk5.gif

Data. Some say "day-tuh" some "da-tuh"
I happen to be one of the former

This one depends on the situation. I've seen people use "day-tuh" when explaining something carefully, but use "da-tuh" when going into high speed conversation.

PCMCIA - picky micky :D (pick ee mick ee) I've used and heard this before. No so much anymore though.

I think a lot of it comes down to just how often you use the terms. If you almost never use a term, you use the full name. Once you use it more often, you need an acronym for it. If you need to use it constantly, you'll end up finding a streamlined way of saying it.

These days, now that I'm a programmer and no longer work with hardware on a daily basis, I find that I say "sequel" and "serial ATA". Back when I was working with hardware all the time, it was "SQL" and "sayta". Ultimately, all that really matters is being understood by the person you're talking to - if you're dealing with normal folk, you're always going to be forced to back off on whatever you've done to streamline your language use - 'saytah' becomes 'SATA' becomes 'Serial ATA' becomes 'hard drive connector/interface' becomes "it'll cost you $150".

I think a lot of it comes down to just how often you use the terms. If you almost never use a term, you use the full name. Once you use it more often, you need an acronym for it. If you need to use it constantly, you'll end up finding a streamlined way of saying it.

These days, now that I'm a programmer and no longer work with hardware on a daily basis, I find that I say "sequel" and "serial ATA". Back when I was working with hardware all the time, it was "SQL" and "sayta". Ultimately, all that really matters is being understood by the person you're talking to - if you're dealing with normal folk, you're always going to be forced to back off on whatever you've done to streamline your language use - 'saytah' becomes 'SATA' becomes 'Serial ATA' becomes 'hard drive connector/interface' becomes "it'll cost you $150".

Exactly. We geeks tend to use trivial crap like that as an opportunity to look down on someone, as if mispronouncing one of our sacred acronyms automatically means that they are still wet behind the ears or have been "misguided." The fact is, I don't care how someone pronounces "GUI" so long as they are competent and realize what it means.

I really don't care what people say as long as I know what they're talking about but for the record I say:

Serial ATA (SATA)
Gooey (GUI)
Nooey (NUI)
Sequel (SQL)
Scuzzy (SCSI)
Wizzy Wig (WYSIWYG)

My pet peeve...when people say "NIC Card"
NIC stands for Network Interface Card
So when you say "NIC card"...you're saying "Network Interface Card Card"
That's redundant.

It actually stands for Network Interface Controller, so NIC card is just fine. Though ask 100 people what NIC stands for and 99 will say Network Interface Card (myself included, unless I think about it for a sec)

And man, I used to be such a pedantic ass about the whole SQL vs. Sequel thing. Wasn't till I moved to Oz that I finally gave into Sequel, since I don't think I've met a single person here who actually says S-Q-L.

My pet peeve...when people say "NIC Card"
NIC stands for Network Interface Card
So when you say "NIC card"...you're saying "Network Interface Card Card"
That's redundant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_controller
It is a good point, but those aren't terms in the industry that uses them, or that I work in. When you hear industry types (engineers at Intel, for example) saying SATA as an acronym, you tend to say it the same way.

Besides, how did you say IDE? As a word, like beware the IDEs of March? No, it was always said as an acronym...so why would SATA be different? How do you say USB? TCP/IP? DNS? DVD? CD? VGA? DVI?
On the nose.

I even feel a little sad for Kyle when he says "Sat-uh". "Pat-uh" is completely ignorant - no one who refers to that tech uses anything but "aye-dee-eee".

Imagine my shock when i learned how you're supposed to pronouce the name of the company that made doom. :eek:

What I want to know is the correct pronunciation of [H]ard|ocp :p

Sometimes it's funny to get the pronunciation 'wrong' on purpose

Like ringing an electrical store and asking for a price on a Joovké Doovdé player and a Joovké Leceder Turv thats ready for Heud. (To replace a Veherse and Cert Turv) :p

Thats a JVC DVD player and JVC LCD TV ready for HD (To replace a VHS and CRT TV) if its too incoherent

Best with a thick middle eastern accent :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjH9cEoEup8

I just pronounce it hardops. As in the same way you say "Black Ops".

Or do you guys say the name like in a certain scifi company?

I just pronounce it hardops. As in the same way you say "Black Ops".

Or do you guys say the name like in a certain scifi company?

I saw Hard O-C-P.

But there's a danger to that though. Every time I think or say the word "hard o.c.p." the song O.P.P. by Naughty by Nature starts playing in my head. Bleh.

Actually, this is a pet peeve of mine; when people call MSSQL simply 'sequel' or 'SQL'. As if MS SQL is all there is.

Well in the office I say simply SQL (sequel) for minimalistic stake. We only use MSSQL here, so we know what we're talking about.

But if I was to talk to the general public or outsiders about database servers, I would say "database servers" to cover all grounds unless I'm talking about specific servers - Oracle, MySQL, Postgresql, MSSQL, and so on.

A couple of weeks ago my wife who is in storage sales was on a conference call with a client, the VP of sales, and a new guy who was iirc in marketing. Anyway, during the call the new guy who was pitching to the client referred to IOPS as I.O.P.S. rather than saying it as a word - much to the dismay of the VP because it made it appear to the client that the company didnt know what the hell they were talking about. In the data storage distribution and sales world most acronyms are pronounce as words rather than letters whenever possible.
NAS, SAN, DAS, SATA, PATA, SCSI, JBOD, IOPS - all said as words

Any given group may have its own language usage practices. Whether you are right or wrong depends on who you are talking to.

SQL
It's sequel, and you don't have to be old. Only H.R. hacks who don't know what it is will spell it out: S. Q. L. :p

GUI
it's gooey

Well in the office I say simply SQL (sequel) for minimalistic stake. We only use MSSQL here, so we know what we're talking about.
That's different; it's an understood abbreviation.

I typically have to work with vendors on various projects. The sale trolls almost universally say "sequel", and are completely confused when I ask 'which one'.

Smells a bit pretentious in here. I personally say what feels correct for me. If I always called SATA "Serial ATA" I'd feel like a stuck-up prick. "Mmm yes, that's actually called 'Serial ATA', not 'Say-tuh.'"

SATA is "Sat-uh" for me as "Say-tuh" just doesn't feel right. On the flip side, "Day-tuh" sounds better than "dat-uh." Three letter acronyms are typically better to spell out because they're shorter. Once an acronym reaches four letters it becomes a bit of a pain to spell it out if you're talking about it with someone.

"Ok, take out that I-D-E H-D-D and put in the new S-A-T-A H-D-D." Four letter acronyms lack the flow that three letter acronyms have. If you're rolling your eyes at someone just because they say "Sat-uh" or "Say-tuh" then you should just go back home and live in your perfect little world. There are bigger things in life than the way people talk about hardware.

It's sequel, and you don't have to be old. Only H.R. hacks who don't know what it is will spell it out: S. Q. L.

I spell it out 99% of the time and I have used it since the 1990s. One reason is I learned SQL after graduating and I work mostly alone although after 13 years with the same company I am the lead programmer of a 3 person team. I can tell you that neither of the other two teammates object when I call it S Q L. LOL!

Back