Pronunciation of GUI

I guess since the Canadian's won the gold in hockey I'll have to give in to their pronunciation of WINS.

Proper pronunciation - wins
Canadian pronunciation - win "s"

DeaconsFrost probaly still calls is "W" "I" "N" "S" every time even though Microsoft has pronounced it as "wins" since it was written.

Although I still argue its the ugliest piece of code MS has ever written, and I included Microsoft Bob in that assesment....

One of the Win95 support team set MS Bob as his his shell just to prove it would work. I still have nightmares...

I can't believe nobody's mentioned FAQ (fak)! :D

At work, we wanted to create FAQs for simple things that generate a lot of calls. For example, how to set up your voice mail PIN, how to add a network printer, etc. We wanted to post those guides on our intranet portal and when someone called IS to ask us how to do something we could tell them, "Go FAQ yourself!"

I saw Hard O-C-P.

But there's a danger to that though. Every time I think or say the word "hard o.c.p." the song O.P.P. by Naughty by Nature starts playing in my head. Bleh.

When I first started coming here I used to call it Hard Cop, but that didn't actualy make any sense, so I started calling it Hard O-C-P too.

Doesn't realy trip off the tongue though, perhaps I should start calling it 'The Aich'

SATA: sat-uh

SCSI: scuzzy

GUI: gooey

SQL: sequel

ASUS: aye-suhs (not aye-suse)

ISO: eye-so

CMOS/BIOS... see-mos and bi-oss is typically how I say it, but I have said see-mose/bi-ose

Besides, how did you say IDE? As a word, like beware the IDEs of March? No, it was always said as an acronym...so why would SATA be different? How do you say USB? TCP/IP? DNS? DVD? CD? VGA? DVI?

In all fairnes though, DNS, DVD VGA or DVI don't have a good ring to them like "gooey" or "say-duh".

S-C-S-I is pronounced like "scuzzy" because spelling out S-C-S-I seems a bit long winded.

I say SAT-UH and G.U.I. For ASUS, I say "AYE-SUS" here in the USA, or "AH-SOOSE" (like moose) in Korea

PCMCIA is one I always had trouble saying in real life.

Breaking it down into PCM-CIA helped (thinking of Pulse-code modulation and Central Intelligence Agency)

The only people at in my organization who pronounce GUI as "gooey" (and other pronounced tech acronyms) are people self-conscious enough they need to use a jargon term to prove that they know what they're saying (while they often don't). It's so funny... after saying "gooey", they usually pause for a second and you can almost hear them pleading for your validation like a dog who just did a trick. In meetings, I usually need to stop myself from sarcastically saying Awwwweee....

G.U.I. for those who are actually doing the work; "gooey" for posers.

We have started using GFE (Graphical Front Ends) pronounced Goofy

Its been gooey for the longest time. Ive been in tech 15 yrs+ and never not heard anyone who is informed not call it a gooey. If someone tells you its G.U.I they are either trying to be elitists or just dont know.
just like scsi is scuzzy, etc etc.

The only people at in my organization who pronounce GUI as "gooey" (and other pronounced tech acronyms) are people self-conscious enough they need to use a jargon term to prove that they know what they're saying (while they often don't). It's so funny... after saying "gooey", they usually pause for a second and you can almost hear them pleading for your validation like a dog who just did a trick. In meetings, I usually need to stop myself from sarcastically saying Awwwweee....

G.U.I. for those who are actually doing the work; "gooey" for posers.

Every developer that I've worked with calls it 'gooey'. I fully agree on those that use buzzword jargon in meetings to act like they know what they're talking about but I can't really agree on GUI.

Every developer that I've worked with calls it 'gooey'. I fully agree on those that use buzzword jargon in meetings to act like they know what they're talking about but I can't really agree on GUI.

You're right that some devs still use "gooey", but I've definitely seen a backlash/reversion to "G.U.I." as the laymen have tried to adopt it to refer to basically anything on screen that has a button or field. "Gooey" at this point has become one of those words that had a good beginning in the UX world but has been bastardized to the point of non-meaning e.g., synergy, silo-breaking, leveraging etc. In other words, those words that make you throw up a little in your mouth everytime you here them :)

Pronounced acronyms like "say-tuh" and "raid" are still kosher in my view since they're too specific/not "generalizable" enought to be appropriated.

Curious why people pronounce is

Sat-uh

there is no U in it. different sound completely, i guess for me i if i said it spelt like that i would push the U more to sound like a U then an A.

sAy-tA sounds better and you really pronounce the A's

boht i spell usually, but sometimes i do say Serial ATA, but for some reason i do say scuzzi instead of SCSI

Sat-uh

there is no U in it. different sound completely, i guess for me i if i said it spelt like that i would push the U more to sound like a U then an A.

boht i spell usually, but sometimes i do say Serial ATA, but for some reason i do say scuzzi instead of SCSI

because the schwa ("uh" sound) almost always wins phonetically in terminal placement in germanic languages (e.g., English) :)

Sat-uh

because the pronunciation of letters in the American language is fuck-tarded?
and yes, I said American language. We do not speak English in America.
It's just a derivative of the English language.

:p

Sat-uh

There's no 'y' in it either...

The letter 'a' very rarely makes the 'eh' sound in the middle of a word when followed by a consonant. Sah-ta is a much more natural pronunciation for native English speakers.

Sat-uh

I just tried saying it out loud sAy-tA and it sounds silly.

sa-TAY is a southeast Asian dish of skewered meat - pork, chicken, beef, etc.

I say SAY-tah or Serial-ATA (spelling out A T A).

Mmm satay. Delicious.

We should start pronouncing SATA as satay just to make our colleagues salivate.

hehe yeah satay is awesome. I've tried them all over the Midwest (US) but will never find anything matching the satay of Singapore during my 4 years on and off staying there.

There's no 'y' in it either...

The letter 'a' very rarely makes the 'eh' sound in the middle of a word when followed by a consonant. Sah-ta is a much more natural pronunciation for native English speakers.

'AY' [ej] because a mid-central vowel followed by a dipthong is more frequent than a unique open-front vowel mid-morpheme

*polishes MA diplomas in linguistics* ;)

Is cause i am Canadian, born in England and hang around American's all day, my language is just confused!

My pet peeve...when people say "NIC Card"
NIC stands for Network Interface Card
So when you say "NIC card"...you're saying "Network Interface Card Card"
That's redundant.....

I could very well be wrong but I always thought NIC stood for Network Interface Controller (not card) - it could be an on board NIC which is really just a chip, not a NIC card.

On the other stuff - I say it as a word when the acronym is easily pronounceable as such. Gooey, scuzzy, seemos, saytuh, etc. As far as whats the best way to pronounce them, say-tuh / satuh..... dunno. I say it the way I hear it in my head when spelling it out.

It is a good point, but those aren't terms in the industry that uses them, or that I work in. When you hear industry types (engineers at Intel, for example) saying SATA as an acronym, you tend to say it the same way.

Besides, how did you say IDE? As a word, like beware the IDEs of March? No, it was always said as an acronym...so why would SATA be different? How do you say USB? TCP/IP? DNS? DVD? CD? VGA? DVI?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjH9cEoEup8

That post reminded me of something

I usually say Gee-Ewe-Eye rather than Gooey and Sar-Tah or Sah-Tah but not Say-Tah.

And it's definately Ess-Q-Ell, not Sequel :D

Last edited:
This goes waaaay back, and it's gooey. And tooey for TUI (that's text user interface for the kids). :p

At least that's what the college books said 16 years ago. :(

Gooey.
Saytuh.

SCUZZZZZZZZZZZI!

In college, my Language Arts Education friends told me their Technology professor pronounced URL as Earl. Another professor insisted that it was ULR, not URL.

gooey? that`s the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
You can pronounce acronyms like they are real words, but ONLY IF they don`t sound retarded.

Gee YOU Eye
plz

It's only been pronounced like that for the last 25+ years.

Back