Pronunciation of GUI

Rambo

Limp Gawd
Hi, I was just wondering if there's anyone else in the world that pronounces this acronym like "gooey". Our IT guy says it like that. When he said it, I had to think for a while about what he meant. I've never heard it pronounced like that. I always just say G, U, I.

Also, is SATA "Say-tuh" or "Sat-uh"?

lol I've always pronounced it "Sat-uh"

I'm with you too, I've always just said "G.U.I", but have heard plenty of people call it "gooey"

GUI = I spell it

SATA = "sa-ta" (Or like what stevil said)

"say-tah" makes you sound like a conio (No idea what the english equivalent of that is)

Last edited:
I spell them both out because they are acronyms and not words. Whenever I hear someone (especially a sales guy in a retail store) say SATA as if it was a word, I roll me eyes and make a mental note to avoid that person.

I say "g.u.i" as mentioned before but didn't mention how I say SATA... "Say-tuh" or maybe more like "Say-duh" lol

I spell them both out because they are acronyms and not words. Whenever I hear someone (especially a sales guy in a retail store) say SATA as if it was a word, I roll me eyes and make a mental note to avoid that person.

What about Scuzzy? ;-)

Sat-uh. Like when you sat and went uh the seat is wet. :D

Gooey, but people still really talk about GUI's a lot...? Old news :p

It's a lot shorter to say Sat-uh, 2 syllables compared to S-A-T-A which is 4. Would be extremely annoying to talk to someone about SATA and they spell it out S-A-T-A all the time.

Deacon! Why would you ever talk to retail guy anyways?! :p :cool: :D

gooey and sat-uh

If you have to spell them out everyday in normal conversation it gets annoying and is just easier to say gooey and sat-uh.

Do you spell out SCUBA and RADAR to people as well? what about NASA.

gooey
say-ta
coa (like boa as in boa constrictor) for the Certificate of Authenticity sticker

It is a good point, but those aren't terms in the industry that uses them, or that I work in. When you hear industry types (engineers at Intel, for example) saying SATA as an acronym, you tend to say it the same way.

Besides, how did you say IDE? As a word, like beware the IDEs of March? No, it was always said as an acronym...so why would SATA be different? How do you say USB? TCP/IP? DNS? DVD? CD? VGA? DVI?

That reminds me, wasn't it Apple that tried to get people to pronounce SCSI "sexy"? :D

Yeah that would never work lol

I go up to my boss, who's a complete computer illiterate, explaining to her that we need more sexy drives for the storage server..

I don't think so lol

Although I know I am wrong I usually pronounce these letter by letter especially for ones with official pronunciations of "gooey" and "cute". Although I don't follow this convention with SCSI.

Also, is SATA "Say-tuh" or "Sat-uh"?

like so
ide-this-is-sataaaa.jpg

GUI -> spell it
SATA -> Serial ATA if I'm only going to say it once or twice, say-tuh if I'm having a conversation about it

I usually say "serial A.T.A.", rarely say-tuh; and gooey; and scuzzy; and C.O.A.

I usually say "serial A.T.A.", rarely say-tuh; and gooey; and scuzzy; and C.O.A.

I've heard a few "IT pros" call it SUPER-ATA or "Special ATA"

and IDE is so 90's, its now called PATA

Just rememberd I knew a guy that said I-beam instead of I.B.M.

Not an acronym, but i remember a formerly comatose patient in 'house' getting into a car and saying "What is this? eep-odd?"

Last edited:
I always here it pronounced GOOEY in the industry.
and Sah-tuh or Pah-tuh

My pet peeve...when people say "NIC Card"
NIC stands for Network Interface Card
So when you say "NIC card"...you're saying "Network Interface Card Card"
That's redundant.

My other pet peeve (well..another anyways :D )
When someone says they can't ping something.
Uh..you usually can bring up a CMD prompt and ping something...it's if you get replies or not that counts.
"I can't ping google.com".
//lemme see...
Err..I see a command prompt...and I see "ping www.google.com"...so YES YOU CAN ping Google. You're just not getting replies!

I always here it pronounced GOOEY in the industry.
and Sah-tuh or Pah-tuh

My pet peeve...when people say "NIC Card"
NIC stands for Network Interface Card
So when you say "NIC card"...you're saying "Network Interface Card Card"
That's redundant.

My other pet peeve (well..another anyways :D )
When someone says they can't ping something.
Uh..you usually can bring up a CMD prompt and ping something...it's if you get replies or not that counts.
"I can't ping google.com".
//lemme see...
Err..I see a command prompt...and I see "ping www.google.com"...so YES YOU CAN ping Google. You're just not getting replies!

brb, going to the ATM machine. :D

For me, there was ATA (eh-tee-eh), and now there's SATA (ess-eh-tee-eh). The few times I've spoken with a salesperson to purchase a drive, I've just said "serial ATA".

What about NEC? I've always spelled it out, even though the common pronounciation is "neck", as with DEC.

What's interesting is the pronounciation of the letter "Z". Americans say zee, Canadians (following the Brits) say "zed". I use both depending on what sounds better. I don't like the sound of "ZeeR1"; "ZedR1" sounds much better. :)

For me, there was ATA (eh-tee-eh), and now there's SATA (ess-eh-tee-eh). The few times I've spoken with a salesperson to purchase a drive, I've just said "serial ATA".

What about NEC? I've always spelled it out, even though the common pronounciation is "neck", as with DEC.

What's interesting is the pronounciation of the letter "Z". Americans say zee, Canadians (following the Brits) say "zed". I use both depending on what sounds better. I don't like the sound of "ZeeR1"; "ZedR1" sounds much better. :)

zed annoys the shit out of me lol It always reminds me of the fruitcake rapist cop from pulp fiction.

"who's Zed?"

"Zeds dead baby"

Zr1 > ZedR1 :D

OFFICIAL GUIDE:

GUI gooey
SATA say-tuh
SCSI skuzzi
SUDO psuedo
PCI-E Picky Express
RAM Rammunition
DDR Dance Dance Revolution
DVD Divid
GPU Gee-Poo

The big question is whether you say S-Q-L, sequel or squirrel.

Back