Promised review is up! NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Review!!!

ReverendMike said:
SLI together 2 6800 ultras. But where are those darn Motherboards!

Yea... I'm sure you would... I guess you would not mind spending the $800+ JUST for the VIDEOCARDS either... would you???

-R

lordroy said:
Yea... I'm sure you would... I guess you would not mind spending the $800+ JUST for the VIDEOCARDS either... would you???

-R
Wouldn't be the first time. I spent that exact amount on 2 voodoo 2 12mb($300x2) cards and a TNT 16mb($200) back in the day. Had the voodoo's for Glide, and since they were only 3d you needed a 2d card anyway. The TNT excelled at OpenGL games. Covered all the basis.

But don't think I will be doing that again. Gimme some of that budget 6600GT goodness. :D

I Have an "upgrade" savings account that i opened at my credit union 2 years ago that has $3000 in it at this point. The 64FX's price should be down a little by the time the boards come out so, yeah i'll be throwin the money down. i'll post pictures when i get it built. I should be good for 4-5 years before i have to upgrade again.

I't's amazing to think that we now have real time CGI thats way better than expensive renderfarm CGI that was ued in the "Last Starfighter" movie, the first movie that used CGI.

Very interesting card and upgrade options. Great review BTW.

Ive been just dreading choosing between 400 dollar 6800Gt or a skt939 CPU and mobo. Cuz i just coulnt justify both with prices as they are now. But now with this awesome card at such a great price point budget gamers like me may now be able to afford a PCIe board and cpu upgrade to go with it!!. May have to spend a few dollars more on the Dual PCIe but by then the 939prices will drop as the new chips come out! Things are really looking good to get the whole upgrade now anyway.

I mean the 6600GT does run any new game pretty darn good and another card stuck in later on ought to tide one over for the next year performance wise all the while not shell shocking the wife with a major pricetag all at once!

Great time to be a gamer! Long live SLI!

any "idea'" when these will hit the streets, my roomate needs a good pci-e card. Right now he has a 5900xt :(

Hey, just a quick thought, do we know if the AGP 6600GT's will require external power?

I mean, the PCI-Express ones don't need power because they get it through the PCI-E, but can the same be said for the AGP's?

GVX said:
I mean, the PCI-Express ones don't need power because they get it through the PCI-E, but can the same be said for the AGP's?
Answered your own question.

joEziLLAH said:
Answered your own question.

No. The AGP slot doesn't supply nearly enough power to run a vid card like the 6600GT. I'm betting on an extra molex.

Well, found a bargain today. A pair of PC-IE (SLI ready) 6600GT cards for £167.97 - which is about $308 (US).

But still no sign of SLI motherboards.

I feel like Meat Loaf ... "All revved up with no place to go" (not fat with man-boobs, like in Fight Club).

Why cant you just answer the question: Does the 6600GT need an extrernal molex? Yes or No!

wow, diddn't realise ATI's lower cards weren't even based on the x800. I also want to see the 6800 basic card benched against the 6600GT....if the GT is slower, it'll be such a small difference the extra $100 probably won't be worth it :p

With your system tsuehpsyde a 6600 would rock and roll! I've scored better using an X800 Pro with my A64 3400/ Chaintech ZNF3 at default speeds (CPU @ 200FSB and videocard at default) then I have with my P4 530 / Abit AA8 (CPU @ 260FSB = 3.9GHz and videocard OC)and ATI X800 XT PCX card! AMD's A64 is a great graphics foundation, the S-939 is even better because the CPU is .09-micron, and runs Dual Channel DDR. The MSI Neo seems to be the best board for the 939 at this point too.

tsuehpsyde said:
wow, diddn't realise ATI's lower cards weren't even based on the x800. I also want to see the 6800 basic card benched against the 6600GT....if the GT is slower, it'll be such a small difference the extra $100 probably won't be worth it :p

Vanilla 6800s are selling for $250 at many places right now, which is like $25 more than a GT at best.

hoping someone will know..

say i get a 6600GT and a SLI board, can i use 1 6600 til i have enough to get a 2nd?

and then go dual video cards a few months later?

also, can i overclock the two cards, and can i do it seperately? i know the boards arent out.. but maybe someone has heard something. Thanks

You can get one now and another later, yes, boards aren't available yet though. Dunno 'bout the OC'ing part but I'd imagine you would always have to keep them at the same frequencies (meaning you'd have to achieve the same OC on both cards) for it to not screw up. No one that isn't under an NDA has tested SLI though so anyway... :p

todlerix said:
hoping someone will know..

say i get a 6600GT and a SLI board, can i use 1 6600 til i have enough to get a 2nd?

and then go dual video cards a few months later?

also, can i overclock the two cards, and can i do it seperately? i know the boards arent out.. but maybe someone has heard something. Thanks

the high-end version of the nF4 is designed for boards that will sell at $150 or more. The nF4 SLI is the only version to support programmable PCI Express lanes, which allows the use of either a single or dual Video Card. A single GPU is supported by an x16 PCIe slot, which can be reprogrammed to two x8 PCIe slots to support two video cards in SLI mode. All features are, otherwise, the same as nForce4 Ultra.

Read Anand's article on the latest test board they got their hands on by the way, rather interesting. The switch for the lanes has been implemented in the way of a card between the slots for the time being (a small SO-DIMM like one, like laptop's RAM) and apparently the board auto-levels the clocks of both cards so they're equal (to the slowest one). The performance was pretty fine though as an initial investment two 6600GTs don't seem to make much sense, as an upgrade path it's quite viable tho.

I love the card, it takes everything that I throw at it and a overclocks great too.
It actually took me a while to get it all right. Now I can stop screwing with it.

Futuremark

General Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP

DirectX Version 9.0c

Mobo Manufacturer http://www.abit.com.tw/

Mobo Model IC7/IC7-G(Intel i875P-ICH5)

AGP Rates (Current/Available) 8x / 4x, 8x

CPU Intel Pentium 4 3244 MHz

FSB 270 MHz

Memory 1024 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT