Prolimatech Megahalems LGA 775 and LGA 1366 Cooler @ [H]

Just picked up a Mega today from MC and WOW!!
WOW!! is the appropriate exclamation, for sure. I just installed two of these. Cooling - excellent; mouting base - even better than excellent; size - oh well, that's the way it goes. This is the cooler that the TRUE should have been. In my mind, if you are deciding between a TRUE and a Megahalems for your next heatsink upgrade, stop thinking now. Get the Meghalems! (background perspective - I've owned and run three TRUEs; still have one of them)

Hello, I ordered one myself plus a Scythe Kama PWM System Fan 120mm and they are coming in tommorow (hopefully :) ).. I have a P6T deluxe and a CM-690 case and I have 2 Nexus Silent Series fans on the top and 1 at the back, all blowing air out. No fan installed on the upper side panel slot.

Since I will use the Scythe fan as "Push" the back or top fan will be working as the "Pull" element..From what photos I've seen it looks like the top fan is closer to the heatsink at the facing-up orientation than the back fan at the facing-back orientation. That been said, plus the natural tendency of hot air to go up, I think the facing-up orientation will be more effective.. but I read somewhere that Prolimatech suggests facing-back orientation. Is that suggestion universal or just for cases without top fans and/or PSU at the top?

What is the best orientation for my Megahalems?

Hello, I ordered one myself plus a Scythe Kama PWM System Fan 120mm and they are coming in tommorow (hopefully :) ).. I have a P6T deluxe and a CM-690 case and I have 2 Nexus Silent Series fans on the top and 1 at the back, all blowing air out. No fan installed on the upper side panel slot.

Since I will use the Scythe fan as "Push" the back or top fan will be working as the "Pull" element..From what photos I've seen it looks like the top fan is closer to the heatsink at the facing-up orientation than the back fan at the facing-back orientation. That been said, plus the natural tendency of hot air to go up, I think the facing-up orientation will be more effective.. but I read somewhere that Prolimatech suggests facing-back orientation. Is that suggestion universal or just for cases without top fans and/or PSU at the top?

What is the best orientation for my Megahalems?
Having the heatsink facing towards the back will probably work better with the overall airflow configuration of your case.

Could you go in a litlle bit more detail on why it will be better?

Also if we take into consideration the whole case airflow, things may become more complicated.. I will try to describe it:

All fans are Nexus Silent and they are manual controlled with a Zalman ZM MFC 1 plus (usually spinning at around 800 rpm) except the topback and back fan which are controlled by Asus Qfan (usually 800-1100 rpm) .
1 Exhaust @ back ( mesh removed )
2 Exhaust @ top
1 Intake @ 3 middle 5.25" Drive Bays blowing on 2 HDD, top bay is occupied by the dvd, bottom one by Zalman ZM MFC 1 plus.
1 Intake @ 3.5" Drive Bays which are all empty
1 Intake @ bottom
1 intake @ suspended right where the bottom side panel mesh is to blow on the GPU
1 intake @ right side panel blowing behind the cpu (this one is Coolermaster 80x15mm)

Take into consideration that cooling of RAM, GPU, and PSU is passive.. and that I may go crossfire in the near future and in that case I have to somehow have one of my fans blowing the back or bottom of the PSU..

I may have gone a little off topic, or too much detail, or both. If so, consider the information just to advise on the Megahalems' orientation. otherwise any input on general fan configuration is more than welcome. ( or direct me to the correct place to ask about general airflow configuration)

Last edited:
Could you go in a litlle bit more detail on why it will be better?
The direction of the airflow in your case is more front to back than it is bottom to top. Although it probably wouldn't make a big difference either way.

I have mine configured East to West. However this is so I wouldn't obstruct my ram slots. When you get your heatsink in, your choice might be dictated by that consideration.

I use 3 out of the 6 slots and the closest to the cpu is empty so i don't have that problem and i have this dilemma :)

Just received this cooler today from Performance PC. One of the double end stud was not well threaded so it did not fit with the screw nut. I took everything apart and this happened :mad:. I hope performance pc will just send me a new bolting kit instead of having to send back the entire cooler and wait for the replacement. Total BS and a waste of time.

I just finished installing last night.. Arctic cooling says break in period is 25 hours for the ceramique paste I used, also I removed some fans and cut off every honeycomb grill there was left in my case, removed all filters too. right now I have CPU:33 degrees SYSTEM:46, GPU:47 idle with all fans running at minimum rpm..

I have a asus p6t and corsair dom memory.. anyone have problems seating this with that memory? I know I have to pretty much lay the fan connected to my true on the memory and dont really want that anymore.

FYI, I have this + Asus P5k with a 120x25mm fan and it doesn't black the RAM slot at all.

The latest Q9550's seem so much more refined compared to the I7 920s.
Hopfefully Intel will do something soon to improve the i7 series. i7 seems very hot.
i7s are hotter for a reason. It has nothing to do with them being "less refined" than Core 2 Quad CPUs.

i7s are hotter for a reason. It has nothing to do with them being "less refined" than Core 2 Quad CPUs.

I know they have much higher TDPs.

Latest Q9550S has 65W TDP. Q9550 improved over life span. That is all I'm saying. I'd like to see i7 improve design over life span. That is all.

Latest Q9550S has 65W TDP. Q9550 improved over life span.
The Q9550S isn't an improved Q9550, it's just a specially-binned version of the chip that can run at lower voltages. There are normal Q9550s that can run at those voltages as well. It's more of a marketing thing than anything else. In the same vein, there are plenty of i7 CPUs that can run at low voltages as well.

The Q9550S isn't an improved Q9550, it's just a specially-binned version of the chip that can run at lower voltages

The latest Q9550s with improved stepping and lower TDP, voltages, ect... are much better than the initial Q9550s. There were improved and refined. More than just marketing.

Lower TDP and voltages with improved stepping allows for lower temps and faster speeds.
I know the D0 stepping model i7 720 is the hot ticket for overclocking i7. With all the heat the high TDPs create it would seem logical that improved TDP and voltages to i7 would make it a better CPU.

The latest Q9550s with improved stepping and lower TDP, voltages, ect... are much better than the initial Q9550s. There were improved and refined. More than just marketing.

Lower TDP and voltages with improved stepping allows for lower temps and faster speeds.
I know the D0 stepping model i7 720 is the hot ticket for overclocking i7. With all the heat the high TDPs create it would seem logical that improved TDP and voltages to i7 would make it a better CPU.
Actually, the current Q9550s have the same TDP as the original ones. And yes, they were improved slightly, but that doesn't make the i7 series somehow less refined. In fact, they are more refined since they were made at a point where previous advancements had already been made to the manufacturing process due to things that were learned from the previous 45nm Core 2 CPUs.

Actually, the current Q9550s have the same TDP as the original ones. And yes, they were improved slightly, but that doesn't make the i7 series somehow less refined. In fact, they are more refined since they were made at a point where previous advancements had already been made to the manufacturing process due to things that were learned from the previous 45nm Core 2 CPUs.

I know it is a much better CPU. I should have just stated the Q9550 runs much cooler and i'd like to see the i7 lower it's temps.

I know it is a much better CPU. I should have just stated the Q9550 runs much cooler and i'd like to see the i7 lower it's temps.
Well, that's probably not going to happen.
Q9550 TDP standard is 95W
The newest Q9550S has a 65W TDP.
Q9550s and the Q9550S (notice the capital "S") are not the same thing. The Q9550 is still around, and the current version has the same TDP as the first version of the chip did.

Q9550s and the Q9550S (notice the capital "S") are not the same thing.

Basicly Q9550 except it has lower TDP. Not sure if it overclocks as high as some of the newest batches of the Q9550.

Cool that it runs at 65W TDP though. Very low temps.

Well I just got the Prolimatech Megahalems and have all the steps to mount it complete except last aluminum piece that you put the 2 spring loaded screws through.

My problem... the Spring Loaded Screws are far to wide... they won't even go through the bracket... what the hell. There are no other spring loaded screws in the box and these don't work. I'll be super pissed if they somehow included the wrong screws.

Am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone know the exact type of spring loaded screw is used to fasten that middle aluminum bracket?? So I can maybe look for it at a hardware store... I doubt they'd carry it :(

Finally received all parts for a new build and have someone waiting to buy my old stuff then these f*** ups put the wrong screws in.

Edit: Does the rev. B come with a diff aluminum bracket and spring loaded screws? If so maybe I got the bracket from a normal megahalems and springs from a rev. B? ?? I don't know..... UGH

Last edited:
I too have received screws that do not fit properly. You should contact the vendor to see if they can ship you the replacement part. I tried HomeDepot and they did not carry any of the screws for this cooler.

The top three are the Notcua D14, Thermalright VenomousX and the Prolimatech Megahalems. All around the same performance depending on the fans and the situation.

Fan config. being as equal as much as possible, which performs the best?
And what about the tuniq tower, frostytech seems to think it's better than the megahalem?!

Unfortunately it makes no mention of the, D14, VX, or H50...
Wish I could find a damn round-up that compares them all!

Yes BR does do good HS round-ups, unfortunately I've no time to wait.
I'm going for a modded Corsair H50 or CoolIT "Eco"...
Thanks to those whom offered their thoughts...

Back