Prolimatech Megahalems LGA 775 and LGA 1366 Cooler @ [H]

So I'm a bit confused as to why the article says the TRUE is only $49.99- I don't see it selling for anywhere near that price online. If the megahalem really does sell for $47 I'd definitely buy it (although it looks to be vaporware at the moment since there is nowehere to buy it).

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the TRUE for $49-$55 online. Forget waiting for the megahalem, I'll just get the thermalright.

Where can one of the Prolimatech Megahalems be ordered? (US based)

I contacted them through my corporate email asking to do a special order and they were only interested in bulk orders.

They did say they would contact me when it is available in the US though so at least they respond to inquiries.

I contacted them through my corporate email asking to do a special order and they were only interested in bulk orders.

They did say they would contact me when it is available in the US though so at least they respond to inquiries.

Maybe you should order 100 of em and sell em on the forums :) I might buy one.

MSRP from the article is $47.95; FrozenCPU is asking $69.99? That's nearly a 50% markup!

Last page of [H]'s review has been updated to reflect an apparent incorrect MSRP price of $47.95 to that of $59.95. So for a product that is near or at the top of the CPU cooler food chain and one that appears to be difficult to obtain, charging $10 over MSRP by FrozenCPU doesn't seem very excessive.

That the Prolimatech Megahalems appears and performs very close to the TRUE shouldn't be a big surprise given this statement at the beginning of BenchmarkReviews.com's Megahalems' review.. "What happens when the best engineers from Thermalright decide that it's time to leave a stagnant company who refuses their ideas? They gather their intellect and begin Prolimatech." http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

At what point will these monstrosities become so stupidly large that they no longer fit in a case? If they want to impress me, come up with some air cooling that is truly innovative and isn't the size of the computer itself. How much stress can the mb take without being caused damage from oversized air coolers?

LOL, to quote a guy i know

It's only a matter of time until we have to apply for planning permission to build extensions on to our cases to make room for the motherf**king heatsinks.

:p

I'd really like to see the TRUE 120 Extreme and Megahalems square off using a TEC, but that would require custom mounts. I think it would be interesting to see how they handle the extra thermal load.

sidewinder have it in stock now....

does it still recieve the gold award now that its 59.99 and the TRUE is a few bux cheaper ?

( just bought the black TRUE for an extra 5 bux instead, much prefer the look )

sidewinder have it in stock now....

does it still recieve the gold award now that its 59.99 and the TRUE is a few bux cheaper ?

( just bought the black TRUE for an extra 5 bux instead, much prefer the look )

It's still $10 cheaper than the ultra 120 extreme 1366. Yes it doesn't come with a fan but I'm sure most people would rather pick their own fan.

Still it's the new kid so it's going to come with a premium. Might as well buy the new one. :eek:

I ordered one from a German site before Frozen CPU added it to their site. It came in last week. Looks really nice and the mounting system is superb. I was a little disappoint it only came with two fan clips though as I was contemplating putting two fans on it. No worries though, when I add more RAM I'll just use safety wire to mount two fans to it.

Waiting on my OCZ Freeze to come in for the install. I'll post some pics once it's installed.

Yeah...soooo, the post with the link to the first retailer with this cooler can't be found, at least by me... Where'd it go? A google search just bogs me down in reviews of the damn thing.

i received the cooler last week. I'm gonna install it whenever my noctua fan comes in.

I want to order one too Prolimatech Megahalems where I can get it in stock in US? and what fan it is good for this cool cooler for my i7 920, I think it is look like a logo of the transformer :p pretty cool

Last edited:
I'm bit confused between prolimatech megahalem and thermolab baram. I know that prolimatech megahalem is more expensive than thermolab baram but is the extra $$ really worth? I just don't want to be disappointed with the custom HSF choice so I ask about your opinion. Thanks

Micro Center has actually started stocking these, but priced @ $89.

I ordered my two from Jab-Tech (highly recommend), but they show out of stock atm.

You can also get the Scythe Kama PWM 120mm Fan from Jab-Tech for $8, and it will plug right into the 4 wire MB slot if you use it.

Micro Center has actually started stocking these, but priced @ $89.

I ordered my two from Jab-Tech (highly recommend), but they show out of stock atm.

You can also get the Scythe Kama PWM 120mm Fan from Jab-Tech for $8, and it will plug right into the 4 wire MB slot if you use it.

good i can order in microcenter, but they charge for shipping and plus tax so it really kill the price, also it does not including no fan, it is kind of expensive. do you know jab tech when they will have stock :p

Keep in mind, the cooler does not come with a fan. So no matter where you order it, no fan is coming in the box.

I just bought two of these coolers last week from Jab-Tech, and you can email them to find out the stock situation. Jab-Tech's customer service rocks, and it is not unusual for them to answer emails late into the night.

Keep in mind, the cooler does not come with a fan. So no matter where you order it, no fan is coming in the box.

I just bought two of these coolers last week from Jab-Tech, and you can email them to find out the stock situation. Jab-Tech's customer service rocks, and it is not unusual for them to answer emails late into the night.

thank for the info so i will email them to find out and how much you pay for your set of the cooler and the fan, what type of fan did you get for your cooler

meh, until i find a cooler that doesn't get overtaken by another in a few 4, 5 months, im gonna wait until we get a champion like the TRUE which was top for almost 2 years? I thought the latest heatsink gimmick was the direct touch heatpipes like with ocz vendetta 2 which was champ a while ago? What happened to that?

Do you get any discount by buying it in jab-tech or free shipping coupon?

Mine should be here today. Is there any reason I have to swap out the backplate I already have on?

For reference I have Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I will probably go i7 within the year. So yeah I went "overkill" a little for an E6600 Core2Duo setup.

I would like to know whether Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler will fit in following motherboards

Asus P6T (Corei7)

Intel Desktop Board DX58SO - Overview (Corei7)

Intel DP35DP (775)
Asus P5Q PRO (775)
It should fit fine on all of those boards. The Megahalems is compatible with LGA775 and LGA1366 motherboards.
I also read from one review that fan clips will break. Is it true?
I doubt it. It looks like they use the older Thermalright-style of wire clips, which are quite sturdy. I have several Thermalright coolers and I've never so much as bent one of those clips out of shape.

I contacted Prolimatech regarding this query and they informed me that the cooler will be little difficult to install in Intel Desktop Board DX58SO - Overview (Corei7) board. The cooler will fit fine but fan clips will be a issue with northridge heatsink.

I just bought a Megahalems a few days ago and a Scythe Kama PWM fan for my Q9400. They replaced a Zalman 9500AT (PWM).

The Zalman at full fan speed was constantly near 75° C at 100% load with just a mild OC of 2.8Ghz.
The Megahalems/Scythe combo allows me to go to 3.2Ghz and the temp never goes above 58° C (Fan at 500 RPM). When I bump the fan up to 1200RPM (maximum), my temps drop another 5° C. Pretty respectable in my eyes.

After much reading I did decide to go with the Megahalems. Picked it up from Jab-Tech along with 2 Slip Streams 1900rpms. (their delivery times rivals newegg's)

Was thinking of doing push and pull but decided against it because of the proximity to the fan on the back of the P182 and the mobo heatsink. Installed the 2nd fan in the front instead.

S6300708.gif

Already order 3 more fans and the Kraze controller, so don't bash my tri-cools for now :D

Nice pic Goat_187.

I picked up my Megahalems from HeatsinkFactory.com for only 60 bucks. I've ordered from them before and they have same day shipping too.

Hey, I read in another forum that prolimatech was started by Thermalright engineers that left the company. Is that true?

BEST FRICKEN COOLER I'VE EVER USED.. Dropped my TRUE temps down 2ºc on idle and 4c on load... I dont have proof but I can vouch for it... also IT LOOKS AWESOME!

It's a very nice cooler.

One small nag....

Im running 6 of the 2 gig Corsair Dominator series DDR3 1600 RAM. On the ASUS Rampage II Extreme mobo, that means that the fan has to be located on the back side of the heatsink to pull....rather than push air through the heatsink. No big deal really, but that is how I had to put it together. Cools just fine that way.

The first fan I tried was the 120mm x 25mm Yate Loon 2000rpm model. It was a screamer. I replaced it with an Artic Cooling fan of the same size in a PWM model that is power (and noise ) managed. It is much quieter, and I noticed no difference in cooling at my current configuration. I have tested overclocks up to 3.9mhz with the Artic Cooling fan with no issues....though I run 24/7 with a milder 3.6ghz clock speed.

Oh...and it looks great too!!!

My case has 3 230mm fans, and a 120mm fan. With the Artic Cooling Fan, the fan on the 4870X2 video card (even at 37%) is the loudest fan in the box!

519953060_MhHkf-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Thinking of ordering a rampage II with a prolimatech megahalem, just wondering how many of you have this board/cooler combo and what problems if any you have run into, or other hardware/ other suggestions you might have, thanks

My Future Comp:
Antec Twelve Hundred
PC Power and Cooling S75QB Silencer 750W Quad
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
Prolimatech Megahalem
xfx GeForce GTS 250 1GB
OCZ 12GB PC3-14400 (2GBx6)

Hi,
Thinking of ordering a rampage II with a prolimatech megahalem, just wondering how many of you have this board/cooler combo and what problems if any you have run into, or other hardware/ other suggestions you might have, thanks

My Future Comp:
Antec Twelve Hundred
PC Power and Cooling S75QB Silencer 750W Quad
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
Prolimatech Megahalem
xfx GeForce GTS 250 1GB
OCZ 12GB PC3-14400 (2GBx6)

Read my post just above your original posting of this question.....especially concerning the 6 sticks of RAM.

Back