Prolimatech Megahalems LGA 775 and LGA 1366 Cooler @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Prolimatech Megahalems LGA 775 and LGA 1366 Cooler - Prolimatech may be a new name to many computer hardware cooling enthusiasts. It is a new company with a lofty goal. Prolimatech claims to have built a CPU cooler worthy of taking on the King of the Hill in what it calls a Megahalems. We see if that is so on a new LGA 1366 test setup.

The Megahalems has shown itself to be an all around great heat sink. It performs solidly at stock speeds and works well with quieter fans but what it really craves is heat and lots of it. Throughout this article I couldn’t help notice the similarities between the TRUE and the Megahalems.

For the load testing, do you run multiple instances of Prime95? i.e. in the case of the Nehalems, are you loading all 8 cores (4 physical and 4 virtual)?

Edit: nevermind I see 100% load... those temps are very nice.:)

Yes that is correct.

We load up all 8 threads. For those who do not engage in audio/video editing, 3D modeling or F@H like programs this represents a load on the CPU that is rarely going to be reached.

We do this to show the worst case scenario and really try to beat on these coolers. I was most impressed (After the Megahalems of course) with the performance of the Intel i7 965 box cooler.

Seems like a good cooler, might even be a worthy upgrade from my Zalman CNPS 9700....but the question is where can i get one?

How is it that prolima does better at 1600rpm then the true 120@2000rpm, but at 1200rpm's does worse than the 120@1300rpm's?

It seems that the prolima really needs that 1600rpm fan after looking at the OC bar graph.

and the prolimatech megahalem seems to have a flat surface out of the box, unlike the TRUE

id like the see the noctua cooler compared as well, as it's been getting reviews equaling the TRUE for a while. And the TRUE seems to have disappeared from many sites.

Also like to see a low speed fan comparison (and/or no fan) to the TRUE (and noctua), Some of us like silence. :) As crimson pointed out, different airflow levels help different coolers.

Good info vs the TRUE.

And the TRUE seems to have disappeared from many sites.

Notice that too. Thermalright has listed a newer cooler for 1366... but no mention of backwards compatibility with 775.

Looks like megahalems could be the way to go if you're looking for a great 775 cooler and are thinking of stepping up to an i7 in the future.

This seems like a nice alternative to Thermalright.

I was also interested in the Thermolab Baram. A couple of good sites like Xbit Labs have reviewed this cooler and they really like it, even going so far as saying it sets a new bar above the TRUE.

Marc or Kyle,

It's hard to tell by the pictures, but does the mounting bracket allow the sink to be rotated 90 degrees from the way you installed it? That's one thing I really liked about the 120 as changing the orientation made a big difference in my system.

At what point will these monstrosities become so stupidly large that they no longer fit in a case? If they want to impress me, come up with some air cooling that is truly innovative and isn't the size of the computer itself. How much stress can the mb take without being caused damage from oversized air coolers?

Two coolers [H] should compare to this are the NV Nirvana 120 and the Noctua NH-U12P. Both fantastic contenders in the $40+ range.

Good cooler, but utterly massive.

~Ibrahim~

At what point will these monstrosities become so stupidly large that they no longer fit in a case?
They're already well past that point. Many etailers tell you to meaure your case BEFORE you order one of the monster heatsinks as they will not accept them for RMA.

Yes that is correct.

We load up all 8 threads. For those who do not engage in audio/video editing, 3D modeling or F@H like programs this represents a load on the CPU that is rarely going to be reached.

We do this to show the worst case scenario and really try to beat on these coolers. I was most impressed (After the Megahalems of course) with the performance of the Intel i7 965 box cooler.

Have you guys ever considered using IntelBurnTest? It's known to make the CPU run hotter than anything else available right now, including Prime95. I think I remember seeing someone say that it's the tool that Intel uses themselves prior for testing the CPUs prior to packaging for shipment.

You sick bastards drilling out a core i7 IHS to put in a thermometer. I like it. :D
You lap the both and Im sure the True would pull ahead by a few degrees.

1232552352Q2gSEC89rB_1_3.png

FYI, 79500 is not a real card. Should be 7950, and the article says you used a 9500? Is the 7 the typo, or the 0? :confused:

Have you guys ever considered using IntelBurnTest? It's known to make the CPU run hotter than anything else available right now, including Prime95. I think I remember seeing someone say that it's the tool that Intel uses themselves prior for testing the CPUs prior to packaging for shipment.

I read that Core Damage stress tester was hotter than IBT?

where exactly can you get a TRUE 120 extreme for 50 (w/ fan)?

TRUE stands for Thermalright Ultra Extreme. As far as I am aware, there is no Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 Extreme.

The TRUE never comes with a fan. (edit: nevermind, see below)

TRUE stands for Thermalright Ultra Extreme. As far as I am aware, there is no Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 Extreme.

The TRUE never comes with a fan.

They are packaging them with fans and new fan retention clips now.

Thanks for the review. :)

If I didn't already have a TRUE and TRUE Black I'd pick-up the Prolimatech Megahalems. The design seems to be just as efficient as the TRUE.

I use LinX (Which uses Intel Linpack) http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201670 It's compatible with both x86 and will run native x64, I believe. It's absolute murder on your CPU. To me Prime95 is outdated simply in terms of how long you must run it for your PC's weaknesses to be exposed. Instead or running Prime95 for 12-24 hours :rolleyes: you can load up LinPack and get the same results in an hour being your PC needing more voltage, etc..

So couldn't this company come up with a more reasonable CPU cooler name? It's as if they tried to make it as hard to pronounce as possible. Prolimatech Megahalems, uh huh.

Back